MRP / Trib. Douglas suspended for 2 games (With subsequent discussion on Viney bump)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't, I think the rule is fine, I just vary in my interpretation of it in these circumstances.
Agreed. I don't have a big issue with the rule more it's interpretation in this instance.

The rule is tough to adjudicate because it allows an action (the bump) which is legal unless injury is sustained which even if performed correctly, with no ill intent or high contact, is then deemed an illegal action. It's a role of the dice for players and a balancing act the AFL implemented to try and protect the players and themselves (from litigation) without entirely changing the nature of the game and disillusioning fans.

So the AFL give the players the option. You can bump but will be liable if a player is injured.

But you cannot entirely eliminate collisions from a high speed contact sport and this is the issue here. If a player has no option are they liable?

It's possible, though I would have thought it was unlikely. Ward was never going to miss more than 1 game. As it happens, he didn't miss any and was close to BOG for GWS the following week. Lynch will miss 6 weeks.

It's also highly likely that Lynch also suffered a concussion - we just haven't heard about it because of all the focus on his broken jaw. Frankly, I would be stunned if he wasn't concussed, given that Viney's shoulder slammed into his head, with then cannoned into Georgiou's. That double action must surely have shaken his brain enough to cause a concussion.

Vic media these last few days

Wonder had a guy playing for a SOUTH AUSTRALIAN team done this to a guy playing on a VICTORIAN team whether the Melbourne media would be " white-knighting " for us , hmmmmmm ??.......................................

inb4 " paranoid " and " chip on the shoulder "

Vic media these last few days

Wonder had a guy playing for a SOUTH AUSTRALIAN team done this to a guy playing on a VICTORIAN team whether the Melbourne media would be " white-knighting " for us , hmmmmmm ??.......................................

inb4 " paranoid " and " chip on the shoulder "

It's not just Vic media. It's country wide. Your club champion Roo is calling for a player strike - something he never did before. This issue isn't Vic vs Adelaide. I'm truly sorry Lynch was injured and I wish him the best for a speedy recovery but this decision has wider implications for football in general.

It's not just Vic media. It's country wide. Your club champion Roo is calling for a player strike - something he never did before. This issue isn't Vic vs Adelaide. I'm truly sorry Lynch was injured and I wish him the best for a speedy recovery but this decision has wider implications for football in general.
Do you sell Amway too?

Jack CHOSE to bump.

Case closed

OH WAIT - HELLFIRE AND BRIMSTONE

IMO, its because it is a Victorian player that it is getting the exposure that it is getting. If Lynch's jaw wasnt broken, it wouldnt bother me as much, but there was alternatives that Viney could have and should have taken. Secondly the precedent was set when Douglas was rubbed out with a perfect hip and shoulder on Ward. Ward's injury was sustained from him hitting the ground and not from Douglas's bump directly.

Don't you brace for contact every time you deliver a bump? He wasn't frantically pumping the brakes trying to avoid head high contact.

Remember that these past players in the media are also trying to pump up their shows. A bit of sensationalism on their part is par for the course.

Don't you brace for contact every time you deliver a bump? He wasn't frantically pumping the brakes trying to avoid head high contact.

I personally braced for impact EVERY time.
NEVER bumped a guy high in my life though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think many Crows supporters are seeking blood with the Viney verdict, but given Douglas got games, so should Viney.

I was fine with him receiving 2 games.

Can't compare the 2 ( imo )

Would Viney have got one game if he'd pleaded guilty?
Would hope not.

hit a guy in the head ( with whatever bodypart - intentional or not ) = gotta go.

AFL rules commission really painted itelf into a corner with this.....as with 95% of things , it's all so people can justify their positions/salaries.

( also why the HTB rule finally sorts itself out just before finals , then goes to shit in the off-season and we have to start again )

I dont think many Crows supporters are seeking blood with the Viney verdict, but given Douglas got games, so should Viney.

I was fine with him receiving 2 games.
Your were up in arms and adamant that Douglas was innocent at the time. If Viney is suspended it won't bring Douglas back...

If Viney hadn't taken the actions he did then there would be no injury - Lynch wouldn't have suffered a broken jaw and (probably) a concussion. Georgiou wouldn't have been "dazed". The Tribunal Booklet doesn't leave room for the half-arsed conclusion they came to - under the laws, as stated in the tribunal handbook, Viney is entirely responsible.

There are two things here, though. There's the responsibility for the injury itself, which they have attributed to Viney. Then there is the impact of the incident. I have no issue whatsoever with them absolving Viney of a portion of the severity of the impact due to mitigating cirucmstances.

The fact that they find Viney responsible for the incident occurring does not mean they necessarily assume that they attribute 100% of the impact to Viney. They're two different things.

Your were up in arms and adamant that Douglas was innocent at the time. If Viney is suspended it won't bring Douglas back...

Thats right, because Douglas IMO didnt hit Ward high at all. Viney collided with Lynch's jaw.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Douglas suspended for 2 games (With subsequent discussion on Viney bump)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back