Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

telfort-hans.gif

images-3.jpeg

Fev x 2, Charlie x 2, Harry x 1 and Tom Carrol won it in 1961, the only reason I know that one is it was in my birth year, read of it and never forgot it. This was a good question to get at sports trivia nights as not too many are aware of Tom

I was born the same year as you.
Can confirm, very much a Vintage year…

Stumbled across this post a few days ago and have been binge reading it ever since. Fantastic set of memories and it is great to see somewhere that the old timers can recall the deeds and characters of days gone past and educate those who weren't around to experience them first hand. I remember well as a little tacker going with my dad to his local the Notting Hill Hotel (vale Kath Byers, a true bluebagger) and listening to the school discussing whether the Bourke-Barrot-Clay centreline was the best of all time. One guy said they were certainly the best since the War (I assume WW2) and the Old Timer of the group replied " Yes, and the War before that. But I remember watching Carlton win in 1906-7-8 and their centreline of Bruce, McGregor and Kennedy was better". Well I wasn't letting him get away with leaving it at that and by the time the evening was out I'd heard his stories of everything from "Duncan's match"* to the Bloodbath grand final and plenty more besides. Looking back he was recalling events of over 60 years before and years later I wondered whether he could really have been around then, but my father was able to confirm having gone to his funeral that he was old enough. I often think that might have been the day I got my love for knowing the history of the mighty blues, or maybe I always had the predisposition.

* Duncan's match was round 9 1927 where he was generally agreed to have taken at least 33 marks - stats of such things not being taken in those days, a performance described by one journalist follows: "Never was there such a brilliant individual performance. Nothing could stop Duncan. He did not make one mistake for four quarters". Sounds a bit like if Doull one day decided to go for the mark all game instead of spoiling.

1982 Rnd 9 -. 12 Goal Domination

1982 was a magnificent team in a magnificent period when to go to Princes Park was to expect this sort of Domination...That was a mighty period and Carlton really had a team full of Champions.... Peter McConville was a bit undersized at full forward and I wonder where Mark MaClure was on that day[ probably injured]....Johnno,Harms,Ashman & Doull really imposed themselves on this first quarter and they were never going to lose.... And you could see the emergence of Ken Hunter and Peter Bosustow just added the extra cream... Sad to know that Geoff Southby was injured for two of the three grand finals in that wonderful era
So happy to have found this gem on YouTube of the great days when we expected to win every single week

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously I'm not that tech savvy.... But thank you for pointing it out which I have subsequently corrected as others have spotted my mistake also by posting the correct link
Two absolute champions in your username mate, love to see you post more often.

was probably there.......
I was there for sure, never missed a game, home or away in those days.......until South went to Sydney, that was the end of that.

Last edited:
What a team, what a fortress.
3 things you'll never see/hear ever again:
1. Advertising for darts
2. Advertising for Nanda Pasta
3. Fat shaming of players ("he looks like a pillow" - Lou about Harmesy).
bet he didn't feel like a pillow.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back