Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Still sorting through stuff. I found a dusty suitcase that belonged to my mum who was affectionately referred to as Mrs G and found this within.
View attachment 1674472
Published in 1958 with a forward by Robert Menzies.

This was inside the book.
View attachment 1674474
This is a program from a 1965 Intraclub match.
View attachment 1674490
View attachment 1674483
View attachment 1674495
I have the Carlton story book. Have had it signed by the whole squad in 1966 & 1967. Feature autograph signed, dated and personalised by Ron Barassi.

I have the Carlton story book. Have had it signed by the whole squad in 1966 & 1967. Feature autograph signed, dated and personalised by Ron Barassi.
That’s a keepsake worth keeping.

I found all sorts of stuff today that I’ve put into one box for safekeeping.

This is just a sample of the letters and cards.

I found a letter signed by Ron Barassi, when he was coach of NM, thanking the ‘Pres’ of the Carlton Supporters Club for the telegram wishing him and the team the best of luck before the 1974 GF. He finished with a desire (determination?) about winning the flag in 1975.

There was also a signed card from Mike Fitzpatrick accepting a trophy from the Supporters Club and apologising for not being there due to a prior commitment. He finished with a request that he not be forgotten as he wished to attend the Supporters Club Dinner Dance the following year.

And finally there was a letter signed by the Secretary of the Carlton Football Club, Bert Deacon thanking my mum and others for helping the players raise over $2,000 at an event in 1972. Bert, besides being a champion player, premiership player and Brownlow Medalist, was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. The letter was poignant because he passed away in 1974 at just 51.

That’s a keepsake worth keeping.

I found all sorts of stuff today that I’ve put into one box for safekeeping.

This is just a sample of the letters and cards.

I found a letter signed by Ron Barassi, when he was coach of NM, thanking the ‘Pres’ of the Carlton Supporters Club for the telegram wishing him and the team the best of luck before the 1974 GF. He finished with a desire (determination?) about winning the flag in 1975.

There was also a signed card from Mike Fitzpatrick accepting a trophy from the Supporters Club and apologising for not being there due to a prior commitment. He finished with a request that he not be forgotten as he wished to attend the Supporters Club Dinner Dance the following year.

And finally there was a letter signed by the Secretary of the Carlton Football Club, Bert Deacon thanking my mum and others for helping the players raise over $2,000 at an event in 1972. Bert, besides being a champion player, premiership player and Brownlow Medalist, was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. The letter was poignant because he passed away in 1974 at just 51.
Similar to you I picked up a few bits and pieces when Dad died.

I had the 1968. 1970 & 1972 grand final records framed along with the club yearbooks for those years. Came up a treat.

Dad died during govid when it was maximum 10 at the funeral. About a year later we had a proper farewell at his golf club where the framed piece took pride of place.

Similar to you I picked up a few bits and pieces when Dad died.

I had the 1968. 1970 & 1972 grand final records framed along with the club yearbooks for those years. Came up a treat.

Dad died during govid when it was maximum 10 at the funeral. About a year later we had a proper farewell at his golf club where the framed piece took pride of place.
I’m happy that you were able to celebrate your dad’s life after the restrictions were lifted. What a great memento to have as a connection.

I remember when my dad passed away in 1983 I ended up at my old house sifting through the years. I was playing footy then so I turned on the radiogram and listened to Carlton play Hawthorn. I’m pretty certain we had one of those premiership quarters but it could be my memory playing tricks on me. I know for certain that there was a cache of old footy records including the GF records that you’re talking about that I flicked through and left behind. I wish I had have picked them up.

I had to go and have a look.

A 10 goal 3rd quarter. Those were the days.
IMG_4735.jpeg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[...]
Brilliance and Brutality
Richmond, Carlton and the grand finals of 1969,1972 & 1973
[...]
There are three different covers and titles of this book. Blue Brilliance is only available at Carlton's shop, Ruthless Richmond only available at Richmond's shop, and Brilliance and Brutality is what is available elsewhere.

Last edited:
There are three different covers and titles of this book. Blue Brilliance is only available to Carlton's shop, Ruthless Richmond only available Richmond's shop, and Brilliance and Brutality is what is available elsewhere.

Yes, I noticed this after I bought my copy. It is mentioned on the first page.

Ex-Carlton great's celebrating at Naughton's - whose the bloke down the front - can't pick him ??

View attachment 1839008

That's a long time friend and associate of this group of past players. Not sure whether I should mention a name without his permission. Regulars to our Spirit of Carlton functions know him well, he occassionally runs our auctions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back