Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Might have already been mentioned, but was anyone there that day Minton-Connell kicked it from the Hawthorn race against West Coast?
I was there! What a great day! Our seats were in the Pratt Stand and we were right behind that kick. We didn't hear the final siren sound the crowd was that loud. Only when the crowd in the John Elliott stand jumped up during general play that we knew we had won.

I was there! What a great day! Our seats were in the Pratt Stand and we were right behind that kick. We didn't hear the final siren sound the crowd was that loud. Only when the crowd in the John Elliott stand jumped up during general play that we knew we had won.

I was in the Heatley Stand that day.
The noise that entire end made when the ball went through was as loud a noise I can remember at Princes Park.
Remember Andrew Phillips having a good day also. What could have been with him had he not had a career ending back injury.

Was at Princes Park when Neale Daniher kicked 3-goals in 5mins to sink us right on the bell. Also was there when David Dwyer of all people kicked a goal within seconds of the bell to knock us off. Both games were ones that we had well & truly in our comfortable grasp all day but big-headedness and/or complacency took the pressure off for a millisecond and they swooped.

Have been at the ground when Sir Robert Menzies had his Rolls parked up against the fence to watch the match.

Was there all through the '70's including the day of Malcolm Blights goal to win the game. Can actually spot a 10 year old version of myself trying to run onto the ground as he took the kick.

What's often forgotten about that day was that, like Neale Daniher a few years later, Blight actually kicked two goals in time-on to get them back to within a point when he took the mark and kick his third goal on the siren. I recall one the of goals was an absolute pearler where I think he check-sided it from the Members pocket.

Buzzas mark, that Essendon* loss in 81, 1 point win against Saints with Sticks and Winmar kicking around 10 each, not Bradley's running goal against WC - damn it, last PP game against Melbourne with Big Nick and Kouta (cried), last game against Pies at PP - 30k crowd even members had to reserve, endless seasons of Doull, Hunter and Williams, Walker's stunning debut in 04, hotdog stand fire, abadee abadaa, not Blight's goal thank Christ, spending the third quarter in a beer queue while they piled on 8, Milburn death wish, more....
Love this post. Watching Doull every week,esp Princes Park, was an absolute treat. Was there for Buzzas mark, Buzzas 8 goal marking frenzy against the Swans. Standing on the wing eating egg sandwiches with a hot brew(or cold one) with my old man at half time, content in the fact that even though we were behind on one of those rare occasions, The Dominator would come out and blow the opposition away in the third quarter and we would lead by 4 goals after an 8 goal quarter.
Yes I was there watching Neal Daniher steal that game away from us.:eek:
Round 2 1986, seeing all of Sticks, Braddles, Dorotich and Motley play together and thinking how good is this going to be.
Kenny Hunter.
Mario Bortolotto.........o_O(just kidding)

Went out to Carlton V North at Optus Oval in 2000 and saw Kouta take Carey to the cleaners. Kouta was absolutely everywhere, had the ball on a string and also kicked a few goals (edit, just checked, five goals and 38 possessions!) . Carey was named All Australian captain that year which speaks volumes of Kouta's performance that day. He had an unbelievable season too and deserved to win the Brownlow.
Wasn't there that day but remember listening to it on the radio. Kouta says that he rated this match as one of his finest, along with that preliminary final game I seem to recall:)

havent you guys had a similar thread recently ?

was there for minton connell ("he'll kick this")
the fire of 82
bradleys goal (still one of the best ive seen)

round 19 1987 wasnt too bad either - swans had won r16 & r17 by huge totals, then won r18 by 91, just missing the threepeat of kicking 200/winning by 100. they won by 15 goals but the players walked off, heads bowed as if theyd lost. as a result i loaded up on carlton to thrash sydney, and went along to watch the top 2. awesome display. flag was decided that day.

Of those mentioned I was at PP for:
  • The Milburn Incident
  • Farewell game
  • The Last Suburban Battle against Collingwood
  • Walker's debut in 2004
  • The hotdog/souvenir stand fire
  • 2001 the game we thrashed Brisbane before they went on to go undefeated for the rest of the season. (Actually I think they lost the following game by a goal. They then started their run of wins against the all-conquering Essendon.)
  • When Geel ruckman Barnes fell and broke his arm
  • Warren Tredrea’s goal spree
  • Round 19 1987 against Sydney – my last game before going overseas for 4 months. I knew I was going to miss seeing a premiership.

Other memories that come to mind:
  • Kicking 30.30.210 against Hawthorn; the first 200 score in league history. I think it was also my first PP game.
  • Kicking 12 goals in the first quarter against Sydney in 1982, and Tilt Carter’s response after one of those goals.
  • Great third quarter comeback efforts in rounds 20 & 21, 1983, against Hawthorn and North (respectively, that year’s Premier and Minor Premier.) The first mentioned was Wayne Johnston’s best game and the latter turned out to Peter Bosustow’s last game.
  • Post match kick-to-kick with my father, sister and friends in the 70s and my sons in the 90s/00s.

Love this thread. I get to walk past the ground nearly every week and can't help but wonder about all the stuff you guys are talking about. Magical old place. Still my favorite ground alongside the G. I only saw a few games there and none really notable but I recall many Saturdays watching the Chanel 7 footy replay through the 80's as a kid when there were so many more venues the games were played at and it gave football a different personality than it has today. Though i am not a Carlton supporter I enjoyed the players of the 80s like Wayne Johnston and Jon Dorotich, Mil Hannah (not sure of spelling) Madden, Harmes, Buckley etc.

I just love footy so I'd happily sit and watch the Blues train if the sessions were open. I occasionally see the Melbourne Rebels boys about though.

I enjoy nostalgic threads like these.

Of those mentioned I was at PP for:
  • The Milburn Incident
  • Farewell game
  • The Last Suburban Battle against Collingwood
  • Walker's debut in 2004
  • The hotdog/souvenir stand fire
  • 2001 the game we thrashed Brisbane before they went on to go undefeated for the rest of the season. (Actually I think they lost the following game by a goal. They then started their run of wins against the all-conquering Essendon.)
  • When Geel ruckman Barnes fell and broke his arm
  • Warren Tredrea’s goal spree
  • Round 19 1987 against Sydney – my last game before going overseas for 4 months. I knew I was going to miss seeing a premiership.

Other memories that come to mind:
  • Kicking 30.30.210 against Hawthorn; the first 200 score in league history. I think it was also my first PP game.
  • Kicking 12 goals in the first quarter against Sydney in 1982, and Tilt Carter’s response after one of those goals.
  • Great third quarter comeback efforts in rounds 20 & 21, 1983, against Hawthorn and North (respectively, that year’s Premier and Minor Premier.) The first mentioned was Wayne Johnston’s best game and the latter turned out to Peter Bosustow’s last game.
  • Post match kick-to-kick with my father, sister and friends in the 70s and my sons in the 90s/00s.
Crikey, Bort. That was 1969!

Went to three games at Princes Park.

-Essendon v Fitzroy 1996. Significant as it was the last time we ever played the Roys. The game itself was a forgettable one-side rout.
-Essendon v Adelaide, 1997. Last game for Mark Harvey and Chris Daniher.
-Carlton v Adelaide, 2001. Went along with my Carlton-supporting mate and it absolutely poured all day. I don't think I've ever been rained on quite like that before. Even keeping my pie dry was hard!

Also, curiously enough, attended a first class cricket game there in 1997- Victoria v NZ. The wicket must have had major gremlins because we bowled out NZ for 61 and then limped to 7/110 or something similar. I got Stephen Fleming's autograph that day. Why the game was held there and not the MCG or even Junction Oval, I'm not sure, but there we go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great memories :thumbsu:

SMC v Hawthron, Bradley's running goal against West Coast, Milburn incident, Walker's debut, the Collingwood thrashing, the peanut man, the Social Club rocking after a win, Fev, Kris Massie and Ben Thompason showing off and doing a burnout on the grass next to the car park on the Thursday night training session before the 1999 GF and nearly smashing into each other, the last game (spewing we didnt win) :(, the sounds of "Killing me softly" and "Feeling hot hot hot" playing to those awful graphics on the scoreboard, the hovercraft and watching the reserves before the main game. Great days!! Great memories!! :D

havent you guys had a similar thread recently ?

was there for minton connell ("he'll kick this")
the fire of 82
bradleys goal (still one of the best ive seen)

round 19 1987 wasnt too bad either - swans had won r16 & r17 by huge totals, then won r18 by 91, just missing the threepeat of kicking 200/winning by 100. they won by 15 goals but the players walked off, heads bowed as if theyd lost. as a result i loaded up on carlton to thrash sydney, and went along to watch the top 2. awesome display. flag was decided that day.

Vj, why is Carlton listed as your supporting team, did you lose a 'Lou Richards' type dare? :)

I was there when we beat Essendon at Princes Park late in 1985 by 50 + points. It was memorable because it finally stopped that dreaded winning run (10 games) that the bombers had against us. Wayne Harmes kicked 4 goals and played one of his best games.

I see we've gone from Denis Pagan to Harry Madden in the paper this week. I think Justin is suggesting the current list should toughen up.

The Madden Brothers as footballers were better lovers than fighters. Simon I recall put up a pretty weak effort in a final which had them laughing in the aisles. As for his brother, a game at the MCG springs to mind. He was up against that legendary tough man from the Cats, Damian Bourke. It was a feisty affair which saw both bumping into each other on a number of occasions.

Finally Bourke was flat on his back, concussed and out of the game. I thought to myself, "Harry has floored him behind the play". Way to go.

The truth was finally exposed. Bourke and Madden were wrestling and Damian tried one of those wrestling moves where you lift your opponent and drop him on his head. Well he successfully completed the lift but was overwhelmed by Madden's weight. Madden fell on his head and concussed him.

Harry was always good for a laugh and both brothers are a credit to their mum.

I see we've gone from Denis Pagan to Harry Madden in the paper this week. I think Justin is suggesting the current list should toughen up.

The Madden Brothers as footballers were better lovers than fighters. Simon I recall put up a pretty weak effort in a final which had them laughing in the aisles. As for his brother, a game at the MCG springs to mind. He was up against that legendary tough man from the Cats, Damian Bourke. It was a feisty affair which saw both bumping into each other on a number of occasions.

Finally Bourke was flat on his back, concussed and out of the game. I thought to myself, "Harry has floored him behind the play". Way to go.

The truth was finally exposed. Bourke and Madden were wrestling and Damian tried one of those wrestling moves where you lift your opponent and drop him on his head. Well he successfully completed the lift but was overwhelmed by Madden's weight. Madden fell on his head and concussed him.

Harry was always good for a laugh and both brothers are a credit to their mum.

God love ya Robbo! Always bring a smile to my face with your reflections!! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I think I may have posted this before but oh well, this game is probably my favorite in recent memory. The ability to show some guts and determination was very un-Carltonlike. I honestly had tears of joy after the game. The following game against Richmond was always gonna be a formality, it was never in doubt imo, but this second half was the perfect example of how we should be playing and how we can play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back