Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox were showing old GFs on Sunday. I sat down with my son and talked him through my emotional state during the second half of the 81 GF.

Collingwood had a run on in the third and got to 21 points in front.

I told him that I had a converse with God after Williams soccered through the goal that put them 15 points. It was a simple plea. “Please God, not us”.
Was 21 points. The margin at the time been etched in my mind forever. I never had any doubt we would win until that moment. I remember thinking, shit 21 points down, time on 3rd quarter, this is red alert when never expected one. Then as we know, two mosquito fleet members kicked 2 goals in time on and we back to only 9 points at three quarter time. I think Ashman and Sheldon kicked the next 2 in last quarter and we back in front. Amazing team that could turn it on when it counted.

Who is the best 'follower' we have ever had. I mean follower not pure ruckman.

I am going with Mike Fitzpatrick!
Sergio as the old Ruck Rover wasn't far behind.

I’ve read in the paper today that relatives of John West, sorry Wren, formerly of Carringbush, sorry Collingwood are putting Festival Hall on the market. Wren built the venue in 1915. The original Festival Hall was burned down in 1955 (insurance money?) and rebuilt.

It is famous for boxing, wrestling, election launches, union meetings, an extraordinary meeting of the CFC and music soirées.

Developers are salivating at the prospect of building more apartments (just what the City needs) and will pay homage to the site by showcasing the boxing ring, the stage and the facade of the building in the site’s reimagining.

Robbo’s first attendance at the venue was for The Beatles concert in 1964. I wasn’t meant to attend but mum decided that my brother could look after me and bought me a ticket. Over the years I attended concerts for Cat Stevens, The Kinks, Santana et al.

I also attended Carlton’s extraordinary meeting in 1979 when the Commitee was attempting to oust George Harris as President of the Club. Harris had pulled a fast one and had to go. Unfortunately Jezza sided with Harris which made the outcome that night extra painful. I voted against Harris knowing that Jezza would resign. However the Club is always bigger than the individual and it was a correct call. It’s unfortunate that the collateral damage was the 1980 season but the 81/82 years were alright.

A quirky side note. I wasn’t involved directly in the canvassing of supporters. I suspect my mum was as she was the President of the Carlton Suppoters Club for many years and, as a result, knew many passionate supporters . I remember being at Princes Park and sitting in Jack Wrout’s office in the Heatley Stand. Jack and mum were talking and I was taking it all in. Then a knock on the door. In walks Alvin Purple, I mean Graham Blundell, and he sits down and joins the conversation. My mum didn’t have a clue who he was. It’s fair to say that Blundell read and believed his PR.

I’ve read in the paper today that relatives of John West, sorry Wren, formerly of Carringbush, sorry Collingwood are putting Festival Hall on the market. Wren built the venue in 1915. The original Festival Hall was burned down in 1955 (insurance money?) and rebuilt.

It is famous for boxing, wrestling, election launches, union meetings, an extraordinary meeting of the CFC and music soirées.

Developers are salivating at the prospect of building more apartments (just what the City needs) and will pay homage to the site by showcasing the boxing ring, the stage and the facade of the building in the site’s reimagining.

Robbo’s first attendance at the venue was for The Beatles concert in 1964. I wasn’t meant to attend but mum decided that my brother could look after me and bought me a ticket. Over the years I attended concerts for Cat Stevens, The Kinks, Santana et al.

I also attended Carlton’s extraordinary meeting in 1979 when the Commitee was attempting to oust George Harris as President of the Club. Harris had pulled a fast one and had to go. Unfortunately Jezza sided with Harris which made the outcome that night extra painful. I voted against Harris knowing that Jezza would resign. However the Club is always bigger than the individual and it was a correct call. It’s unfortunate that the collateral damage was the 1980 season but the 81/82 years were alright.

A quirky side note. I wasn’t involved directly in the canvassing of supporters. I suspect my mum was as she was the President of the Carlton Suppoters Club for many years and, as a result, knew many passionate supporters . I remember being at Princes Park and sitting in Jack Wrout’s office in the Heatley Stand. Jack and mum were talking and I was taking it all in. Then a knock on the door. In walks Alvin Purple, I mean Graham Blundell, and he sits down and joins the conversation. My mum didn’t have a clue who he was. It’s fair to say that Blundell read and believed his PR.
Had a ticket to the Beatles concert but broke my leg the day before. Saw the Who and the Small Faces there in 1968.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My only time at Festival Hall was for the recording of some episodes of the New Price Is Right hosted by Ian Turpie back in the '80s.

During one of the many breaks in recording, well known voiceover man John Deeks asked the audience for volunteers to sing, dance, recite poetry etc. As I was wont to break into song during drinking sessions, my friends, who were there with me, decided to dob me in & announced that I could sing. Next minute Deeks has raced up the stairs into the audience, dragged me out of my seat (almost pulled my shoulder out in the process) & down onto the stage where Ian Turpie stood while hosting the show.

Not being drunk, I wasn't all that keen to sing, but anyway I launched into a chorus of Elvis Presley's Love Me Tender & then on Deeks insistence, sang Jingle Bells. I was given a couple of blank cassette tapes & some vouchers for my efforts. Suffice to say, you won't catch me in the studio audience of any Aussie shows these days.

I checked some old copies of The Age on a website and read some interesting info on the Harris/Jezza saga.

Jezza said that Wes Lofts was the main reason why he walked out as recruiting decisions were made without his knowledge. Lofts wanted to recruit Graham Teasdale from South and was prepared to offer him $200,000.

Once the dust settled Jezza was willing to come back as captain-coach even with Harris gone but unfortunately both Jezza and the club set conditions that could not be agreed to.

The club was prepared to accept Jezza back as a player only, on the condition of providing loyalty to both coach Percy & captain Fitzpatric and apologizing to the players.

Jezza wanted to come back as captain-coach and also become chairman of the match commitee which meant that Wes Lofts had to give up the position.

Essendon was also in the inside running to recruit Jezza as a player and was in a tug of war with St Kilda. It was close. Coach Barry Davis was very keen to get him.

I wondered what would have happened in the future had Jezza in 1980 chosen the bombers instead. Considering Jezza's great coaching record in 1978/79 Essendon may have overlooked Sheedy a year later when they were in the market for a new coach.

Last edited:
Came across this the other night.

I remember the conditions as being very blustery early on, which was reflected in the half time scores of 2.11 to 3.9. Our forward line functioned much better in the second half, leading to a relatively comfortable win in the end (interesting to note that 3 of our top 5 possession winners were defenders: Austin, English & Doull).
Great stuff. I loved the battles between our clubs back in the 80s. Those were the days!

Realistically, our 1982 flag hopes were erased at the MCG 2 weeks before that Prelim Final with Carlton's 11 goal 3rd quarter in the Qualifying Final. It's filed away in the same section of my bad memories as Essendon's last quarter of the '84 Grand Final. We were just walloped. One way traffic for 30 minutes with Blues players kicking them from everywhere. I can still see the ball spinning furiously off the boot of Wayne Harmes from row Z. Goal ump didn't move.

No chance of us reversing that result in the Prelim. The Blues definitely had our measure in the early 80's.

--------------------------------------

Earlier today, for some reason I was looking at a few pages of Blueseum. God knows why. (An excellent website though.) I chanced across this write up of Curly Austin: http://www.blueseum.org/Rod+Austin

This bit grabbed my attention:

Parkin knew the key to victory over Hawthorn was to limit the influence of their champion Leigh Matthews, and the man he turned to was Curly Austin. Barely five minutes into the game however, Matthews crashed through Austin and knocked him senseless. After being revived on the field, Curly refused to be taken off. He ran back to his position, chested Matthews with an attitude that said; “is that the best you can do?” then proceeded to cut the Hawks’ gun forward out of the game.

Cool story, bro! :rolleyes: Funny how people's blind hatred of Lethal Leigh makes them accuse him of crimes he didn't commit! Austin ran into Geoff Ablett (Gary's solidly built older brother) and came off second best. It was a fair collision: a good contest for the ball and a very hard bump. [5:36 of the clip below]

Last edited:
Great stuff. I loved the battles between our clubs back in the 80s. Those were the days!

Realistically, our 1982 flag hopes were erased at the MCG 2 weeks before that Prelim Final with Carlton's 11 goal 3rd quarter in the Qualifying Final. It's filed away in the same section of my bad memories as Essendon's last quarter of the '84 Grand Final. We were just walloped. One way traffic for 30 minutes with Blues players kicking them from everywhere. I can still see the ball spinning furiously off the boot of Wayne Harmes from row Z. Goal ump didn't move.

No chance of us reversing that result in the Prelim. The Blues definitely had our measure in the early 80's.

--------------------------------------

Earlier today, for some reason I was looking at a few pages of Blueseum. God knows why. (An excellent website though.) I chanced across this write up of Curly Austin: http://www.blueseum.org/Rod+Austin

This bit grabbed my attention:

Parkin knew the key to victory over Hawthorn was to limit the influence of their champion Leigh Matthews, and the man he turned to was Curly Austin. Barely five minutes into the game however, Matthews crashed through Austin and knocked him senseless. After being revived on the field, Curly refused to be taken off. He ran back to his position, chested Matthews with an attitude that said; “is that the best you can do?” then proceeded to cut the Hawks’ gun forward out of the game.

Cool story, bro! :rolleyes: Funny how people's blind hatred of Lethal Leigh makes them accuse him of crimes he didn't commit! Austin ran into Geoff Ablett (Gary's solidly built older brother) and came off second best. It was a fair collision: a good contest for the ball and a very hard bump. [5:36 of the clip below]

Which just goes to show Curly Austin really was concussed and the reporter too.:p

Which just goes to show Curly Austin really was concussed and the reporter too.:p
I usually barracked for the Blues from 1978-82 when they weren't playing Hawthorn. That was a great team led by Jezza and then Fitzy. Rock solid defence with Doull, Southby, Hunter, English, Austin, McKay and Perovic. The mosquito fleet: Keogh, Ashman, Armstrong, Buckley, Sheldon, Harmes, Johnston, Catoggio, Marcou, Glascott, Francis, Maylin.

Champagne football every fortnight at Princes Park with that f**kin' whistling fan right underneath the Channel 7 commentary box who'd give that piercing whistle every time a goal beckoned (which was every 2 or 3 minutes!)

I always liked Curly Austin. A real ungainly, unco looking half back flanker (like Polkinghorne for us), but he was a real trier and made the most of his talents. As someone said on a previous page, he had a happy knack of keeping Lethal relatively quiet. Leigh's big days against your mob were mostly when Austin was out injured (or when he was cleaned up during the '84 QF by Dipper!)

Last edited:
I usually barracked for the Blues from 1978-82 when they weren't playing Hawthorn. That was a great team led by Jezza and then Fitzy. Rock solid defence with Doull, Southby, Hunter, English, Austin, McKay and Perovic. The mosquito fleet: Keogh, Ashman, Armstrong, Buckley, Sheldon, Harmes, Johnston, Catoggio, Marcou, Glascott, Francis, Maylin.

Champagne football every fortnight at Princes Park with that f**kin' whistling fan right underneath the Channel 7 commentary box who'd give that piercing whistle every time a goal beckoned (which was every 2 or 3 minutes!)

Can you imagine how spoilt I was. That was my first 5 seasons of following football.
It is why 22 seasons after the most recent premiership I seen, I still feel blessed at what I seen following my side.
Hawks and Carlton supporters been spoilt in my time of watching. Of course Carlton fans here in their twenties may not agree. ha ha

Can you imagine how spoilt I was. That was my first 5 seasons of following football.
It is why 22 seasons after the most recent premiership I seen, I still feel blessed at what I seen following my side.
Hawks and Carlton supporters been spoilt in my time of watching. Of course Carlton fans here in their twenties may not agree. ha ha
I remember being over the moon when the Hawks beat the Blues for once in the early 80's. We won by 2 points after your mob kicked 14.27

I can't remember where I leave my car keys or wallet, but I can remember Carlton kicking 14.27 in a game of footy played almost 40 years ago :$:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back