Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been against wanting draft assistance, probably out of pride or hope we can get ourselves out of this mess on our own, but it's clear we absolutely need a circuit breaker.

Access to Sanders is a pittence of what Gold Coast got and we are every bit as s**t as they were, AND, we are every bit as s**t as the many teams before Gold Coast who have received a start of first proud priority pick.

It's embarrassing but necessary.
That's where I'm at. Embarrassing.

But I want my kids to see their club as relevant before they are adults (10 years away)

That's where I'm at. Embarrassing.

But I want my kids to see their club as relevant before they are adults (10 years away)

Why be embarrassed? Last 20 years of premiers below. Highlighted entries are clubs that had any or all of:

• Priority pick
  • Draft concession
  • Zone concessions
1689737416749.png

Why be embarrassed? Last 20 years of premiers below. Highlighted entries are clubs that had any or all of:

• Priority pick
  • Draft concession
  • Zone concessions
View attachment 1744014
And the other being a club with a distinct home ground advantage no other Victorian side is afforded, government handouts out the yin yang and the greatest run of FS recruits in the history of the sport.

And the other being a club with a distinct home ground advantage no other Victorian side is afforded, government handouts out the yin yang and the greatest run of FS recruits in the history of the sport.

Totally. Geelong are clearly cooking the books.

But on the surface they are the only ones I'll cop high moral ground from, because they've managed to get their priority picks via back alley deals that don't show up in any reporting.

Hawks douche lol ... it's not a priority pick cos I say it's not ;-)

Did Melbourne get Scully as #1 PP after their tanking scandal? Shameful if they did and fast forward to now AFL is actively preparing to f^ck us out of anything meaningful judging by Dillon's comments ... "creative solutions" etc. Fuucking us out of a pick that would be automatic under the rule in place before their shameful misconduct forced a change. We should be upping the ante in our communications with them that we aren't going to take a failure to provide assitance lying down.

This is Andrew Dillion's first chance to prove that he has a backbone and can stand up to the big clubs and assert longstanding AFL policy to equalise the competition. So far he has been underwhelming.

Give him time ... he's not Gil - he will do what he believes is the fair thing to do in the circumstances. He is also very passionate about grassroots footy and community engagement - the chatter about the club losing a generation of supporters because of current performance would deeply concern him.

Give him time ... he's not Gil - he will do what he believes is the fair thing to do in the circumstances. He is also very passionate about grassroots footy and community engagement - the chatter about the club losing a generation of supporters because of current performance would deeply concern him.

$A💰$F💰$L💰

Big clubs, Big crowds, Big Games, Sponsors, TV Rights are all that matters.

We'll get 'nowt from Dillion.

NORTH MELBOURNE club banner

Kangaroos in 2022​

WINS: 2
LOSSES: 15
PREMIERSHIP POINTS: 8
POINTS FOR: 987
POINTS AGAINST: 1819
PERCENTAGE: 54.3
LADDER POSITION: 18th

Kangaroos in 2023​

(Differential in brackets)

WINS: 2 (equal)
LOSSES: 15 (equal)
PREMIERSHIP POINTS: 8 (equal)
POINTS FOR: 1177 (+190)
POINTS AGAINST: 1790 (-29)
PERCENTAGE: 65.8 (+11.5)
LADDER POSITION: 17th (+1)

North Melbourne has lost 15 games in a row in 2023 after starting 2-0 to sit on the exact same amount of wins as this time last year.

The biggest difference is the fact that West Coast is worse and absorbing the spotlight as the worst team in the AFL. Though, they will meet each other in Perth soon.

By every metric, the Roos are at the very least equal and at the very most significantly better – though the general vibe around the club would say the opposite.

If you didn’t watch footy and just looked at the numbers, you’d say the Roos are a much sounder team in 2023, even if they’re not converting that to wins. They’re clearly less-bad defensively and offensively at the very least.

However, they’ve lost 15 games in a row, it’s been a turbulent year thanks to the off-field drama surrounding Alastair Clarkson and Tarryn Thomas and it’s hard to see where their next win comes from.

RATING: Still very bad, but less very bad, but still very bad.

NORTH MELBOURNE club banner

Kangaroos in 2022​

WINS: 2
LOSSES: 15
PREMIERSHIP POINTS: 8
POINTS FOR: 987
POINTS AGAINST: 1819
PERCENTAGE: 54.3
LADDER POSITION: 18th

Kangaroos in 2023​

(Differential in brackets)

WINS: 2 (equal)
LOSSES: 15 (equal)
PREMIERSHIP POINTS: 8 (equal)
POINTS FOR: 1177 (+190)
POINTS AGAINST: 1790 (-29)
PERCENTAGE: 65.8 (+11.5)
LADDER POSITION: 17th (+1)

North Melbourne has lost 15 games in a row in 2023 after starting 2-0 to sit on the exact same amount of wins as this time last year.

The biggest difference is the fact that West Coast is worse and absorbing the spotlight as the worst team in the AFL. Though, they will meet each other in Perth soon.

By every metric, the Roos are at the very least equal and at the very most significantly better – though the general vibe around the club would say the opposite.

If you didn’t watch footy and just looked at the numbers, you’d say the Roos are a much sounder team in 2023, even if they’re not converting that to wins. They’re clearly less-bad defensively and offensively at the very least.

However, they’ve lost 15 games in a row, it’s been a turbulent year thanks to the off-field drama surrounding Alastair Clarkson and Tarryn Thomas and it’s hard to see where their next win comes from.

RATING: Still very bad, but less very bad, but still very bad.

We have just discovered the easiest way to get a weirdly positive spin on shitness level from the AFL media is to request assistance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have just discovered the easiest way to get a weirdly positive spin on shitness level from the AFL media is to request assistance.
It's true, suddenly all of these other clubs blowing smoke up our arse about how good we really are. Except when they miss out on the 8 or a home final because they only got to cash in against us once compared to their rivals.

the chatter about the club losing a generation of supporters because of current performance would deeply concern him.

It's not chatter, it's fact.
I know kids that are choosing to not attend games as a result of our constant losses.

I'm actually battling trying to keep my young bloke positive about the sport and North Melbourne.

Yes we have been doing bad much longer too . Eagles won a flag we got to a Preliminary but umpire Margetts used some creative umpiring to thwart it .

AFL owes us another priority pick. It's due to their shambolic handling of the investigation into First Nations mistreatment at Hawthorn that led to our coach having to step away for his mental health.

GC had a better last 4 years then ours when they received their picks and now the AFL wanted to trial a crap solution last year lesser than other clubs have received for better years prior to it.

I'd be happy if they gave us an end of first round pick (does not need to be traded) and also made Sanders NGA eligible for us regardless if he was picked in the top 40.

It's not chatter, it's fact.
I know kids that are choosing to not attend games as a result of our constant losses.

I'm actually battling trying to keep my young bloke positive about the sport and North Melbourne.

I hear you - I'm in the same boat with my three kids. As I said, that fact alone will be of concern to Dillon ... unlikely to be the determining factor, but the reality is, the AFL dont want weak clubs given the impact it has on warping the competition ... wait until we get to the s**t-fight at the end of the year when some clubs miss out on finals due to percentage because they only got to play us and/or the Eagles once ...

I hear you - I'm in the same boat with my three kids. As I said, that fact alone will be of concern to Dillon ... unlikely to be the determining factor, but the reality is, the AFL dont want weak clubs given the impact it has on warping the competition ... wait until we get to the s**t-fight at the end of the year when some clubs miss out on finals due to percentage because they only got to play us and/or the Eagles once ...

Hope you are right. As they could decide an alternate route to a fairer comp.

I jest but seriously, it makes you wonder....

As North prepare for their PP submission other clubs are preparing their 2024 fixture requests. Previously clubs wanted Friday night blockbusters, stand alone marquee games, prime time free to air slots, crowd friendly times, not mother's day! But the multi-year run of poor performance from North now sees them as the hottest ticket in town. In what the AFL are calling a true competition equaliser, and as a result of every other club requesting it, North will now be playing every other club twice. When asked for comment an AFL spokesperson not authorised to speak publicly said it was only fair each club got the extra wins and percentage booster. When questioned what it means for North the spokesperson stated they'll have to play twice on some weekends, not that it matters, they would lose anyway.

I am the same. My kids 12 and 14 see my support for Kangaroos and AFL in general as a toxic influence and a total waste of time and money

Nice revisionism.

Without the priority pick you don't get buddy. You get Roughead or Buddy. Not both. Bit of that 2008 & 2013 forward line nicely rooted up there.

It also allowed you to pivot for a mid with your later pick (Lewis) knowing the priority pick set up your forward pairing.

You forgot to mention getting 2008 premiership player Xavier Ellis in 2005.

So 2 of your premiership players came via priority picks. I wouldn't mind 2x bonus top 3 priority picks to throw into our side, no questions asked.
Maybe he just needs to write to his club and suggest a better design for the "Mr Hanky" jumper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back