Draft Requirements

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Well I suppose it has come to that time of year again for Richmond supporters where we can start booking our September holidays and the only highlight for the rest of the year is the national draft.

Santa Claws is right. This has been a reality check for the club, but you can't blame Richmond supporters for deluding ourselves into thinking we were a finals chance. Any glimmer is always seized upon. So here we are in mid July needing to cast our glance towards November and December draft times.

What do we need? Base it on that we will have 6 picks in the ND (not using our compensation pick for Tambling)

Pick 1 Midfielder
Pick 2 Midfielder
Pick 3 Ruckman/trade for ruckman
Pick 4 Hit up half forward/genuine small forward
Pick 5 Key position defender
Pick 6 Midfielder

I think we are two short in the midfield of genuine classy players.

Obviously we need a ruckman but I think the game is changing.

Forward line is OK with Riewoldt, Griffiths and Vickery

We have a number of rebounding defenders, so don't need any more flanker types.

Interested in other people's thought

Well I suppose it has come to that time of year again for Richmond supporters where we can start booking our September holidays and the only highlight for the rest of the year is the national draft.

Santa Claws is right. This has been a reality check for the club, but you can't blame Richmond supporters for deluding ourselves into thinking we were a finals chance. Any glimmer is always seized upon. So here we are in mid July needing to cast our glance towards November and December draft times.

What do we need? Base it on that we will have 6 picks in the ND (not using our compensation pick for Tambling)

Pick 1 Midfielder
Pick 2 Midfielder
Pick 6 Midfielder

I think we are two short in the midfield of genuine classy players.

Obviously we need a ruckman but I think the game is changing.

Forward line is OK with Riewoldt, Griffiths and Vickery

We have a number of rebounding defenders, so don't need any more flanker types.

Interested in other people's thought
\

I agree with a lot of this except you can't say mid,mid, ruck, half f, key def, mid in that order because it depends on best available.

I am watching the replay on fox, I think it is helping my recovery!!

i think we need a ruckman first. Cotchin, martin, foley, jackson, conca etc. will be unstoppable with an A grade ruckman.
How many gun ruckmen have been drafted with a 1st round pick?

Extremely weak draft pool this year so we'll have to be astute and think outside the box with our selection. A few mature agers from state comps might be the go with our later picks.

2012 draft is going to be the rip snorter.

Pick 1 Midfielder
Pick 2 Midfielder
Pick 6 Midfielder

:thumbsu::thumbsu: First pick midfielder then best available.

First pick must go towards a mid. I wouldn't be suprised if the Crows finish higher than us and we have pick 10. However at this stage it looks likely we will have pick 12.

Get another gun mid. Our forward line is starting to look very dangerous. We need another couple of mids and another developing ruck.

I would be going:

Pick 12: Best mid available
2nd Round:Best available excluding tall forwards who we have plenty of
3rd round: Best mature age mid in the land no older than 24
4th round: Small forward
5th round: Mature age mid

Extremely weak draft pool this year so we'll have to be astute and think outside the box with our selection. A few mature agers from state comps might be the go with our later picks.

2012 draft is going to be the rip snorter.
Different to what I have heard. The top 20 this year are standouts, and after that it falls away quite sharply.

the most clear thing to everyone i would have thought is that our defence is our worse area!!!!

pick 1 Defender
pick 2 Midfielder
pick 3 Ruck
pick 4 Defender
pick 5 Defender
pick 6 Forward

the best depth we have is the midfield, we can relax there for this year and get back on it next year.

thats just my gut feeling.

1) 18 year old ready made midfielder
2) 18 year old 200cm + ruckman who can jump and touch the top of a backboard
3) 18 year old natural small forward
4) 18 year old midfielder
5) 18 year old natural midsized forward
6) 18 year old key position player

Delist: Hislop, Miller, Taylor
Trade/Delist 5 of: Graham, Thursfield, Tuck, Gourdis, Farmer, Nason, Moore
Rookie delist: Westoff, Hicks

Possible additions: Trengrove, McIntosh

See I actually think our midfield depth is terrible. Our depth is made up of players who are very overrated and would struggle at most other clubs:

Grigg, Jackson, Edwards ect

Would go mid first as that is where the game is won. Probably need a gut runner who racks them up or a Steele Sidebottom HFF/Mid type.

I think best available mid would prob be the best way to go early on. As some have suggested I'd be open to the idea of snaring a mature age recruit with a mid to late pick but they have simply got to have some muscle on their bones....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I wrote in the U18s Champ thread...

Elliot Kavanagh would be the most ideal first round pick for us I think in that he is a ball magnet, inside and out has good skills and averages around 6 tackles a game.

He's likened to Andrew Swallow and just the type we need.

He missed this years U18 champs with a knee injury but returned to the TAC last week and was BOG with 2 goals through the midfield. I'll be watching out for him over the next few weeks.

here's an article on him:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kav-back-with-a-bang/story-fn53klc6-1226087398601

Maybe we need a draft mega thread?

As I wrote in the U18s Champ thread...

Elliot Kavanagh would be the most ideal first round pick for us I think in that he is a ball magnet, inside and out has good skills and averages around 6 tackles a game.

He's likened to Andrew Swallow and just the type we need.

He missed this years U18 champs with a knee injury but returned to the TAC last week and was BOG with 2 goals through the midfield. I'll be watching out for him over the next few weeks.

here's an article on him:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kav-back-with-a-bang/story-fn53klc6-1226087398601

He reads very well and by all reports if he wasnt injured he would of been top 5. Lets hope he doesnt dominate b4 the years out.
THe players that will go definite top 10 are Patton, Coniglio, Wingard, Hoskin-Elliot, Longer, Tyson. I would think Port would go for a local boy in Grigg (who is very good)
Then u have half dozen other good mids like, Greene, McKenzie,Sumner, Smith etc, so lets hope he falls to us, there is always a bolter. Lets hope its not him.

Good to see some robust and sensible debate. It can degenerate a bit on this board.

I think the way to go is midfielders with our first 2 picks.

I look at Geelong, Collingwood, their mids are always big, tall with a bit of grunt.

A Swallow type player is ideal in my opinion. Basically we need two Cotchins and two Martins.

I'd be keen on some mids with a view to recruiting defesive types or just adding to the depth and developing some current players as defensively sound midfielders.
We are so horrible in that department that on balance we probably have the worst midfield in the league.

ok im not on the draft midfielders first bandwagon but hear me out

our defence is the most unstable area in the side, most likely the league. it is poor more consistently than our midfield.

just take a look at this for existing players

midfield draft pick numbers

martin pick #3
cotchin pick #2
deledio pick #1
conca pick #6

defenders draft pick numbers

newman pick #55
mcguane pick #36
rance pick #18
gourdis pick #94
webberley pcik #67
grimes pick #2 pre-season draft

not only is it so unbalanced in pick # but its so obvious on field! if the were to throw a couple more top 20 or better yet top 10 pick defenders in there it would balance out on field as well.

i can explain it so much better in my own mind its just not hitting the keyboard nearly as good but i think you will all get the point.

we need defenders desperately.

Would like us to have a look at leif cope with a late pick(just as a long shot ruckman but do believe he could be a good player with the right development).Though thats from last years highlights reel which most people have a good highlights reel.

Yeah and we need to get more depth midfield wise and would consider Talia with secound round pick if still there.

Would like us to have a look at leif cope with a late pick(just as a long shot ruckman but do believe he could be a good player with the right development).Though thats from last years highlights reel which most people have a good highlights reel.

Yeah and we need to get more depth midfield wise and would consider Talia with secound round pick if still there.

Totally agree with you there TT , last year i was pushing for this kid to be on our list as a development ruck .

Tall fast agile & the kid has go in him aswell, cope & Giles should of both been on our list instead of Hislop & Miller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXR7vyZGI1Y

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Requirements

Remove this Banner Ad

Back