Rumour Draft Rumours 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m still confused how Hawthorn were denied access to Christian Moraes (Brazilian father) and Alix Tauru (Swedish)

…. Yet South African Cam McKenzie who grew up speaking English and playing rugby and cricket is seen as more “foreign” than them and was therefore allowed to part of an NGA?

Taken from an AFL article.

"Under the current NGA rules, the player has to either be born in a non-English speaking country, or have at least one parent born in Asia, Africa or Oceania or have both parents born in another non-English speaking country outside of those regions." NOTE: I actually think the afl.com.au article is incorrect as Oceania is NOT eligible as far as I understand.

More info.

"For those not Indigenous or themselves born overseas in a culturally and linguistically diverse country (that is, classified by the ABS as not a 'main English-speaking' country), a 'Qualified NGA' player requires one of their parents to have been born in Africa or Asia. For a CaLD NGA player to be Qualified, both parents need to have been born overseas in a culturally and linguistically diverse country."

Cam MacKenzie was eligible as one of his parents were born in either Africa (SA for him) or Asia. He was considered a 'Qualified NGA player'.

Alix Tauru has his Dad born in Sweden, he said his Dad met his Mum, they travelled here and had him here. Didn't mention his where his Mum was born but can only assume it was either here or an English speaking country. Being a 'CaLD NGA' option, both parents need to be born o/s in a 'culturally and linguistically diverse country'.

Mitch Owens' Mum was born in Japan I believe, his Dad Australia. But because Japan is in that Asia/Africa category, he was eligible as a 'Qualified NGA'.

Ah-Mu next year isnt eligible as Samoa isnt in Asia, so he'd have to qualify under the CaLD NGA rules. Assume thats also why Moraes didnt qualify also.

Kako has both parents born in Iraq, so hes qualified under CaLD rules.

Lenny Hofmann was born in Switzerland, both of his parents were born there also, so another under CaLD rules.

Adrian Cole is also eligible but due to his father being from Nigeria, so hes a 'Qualified NGA' having one parent born in Africa.

Anyway, it would be nice for the AFL to provide clarification as to where prospective NGA players' parents were born, or why they aren't eligible. As much as it's a bit of an invasion of privacy, it would alleviate some obvious angst amongst supporters.

Taken from an AFL article.

"Under the current NGA rules, the player has to either be born in a non-English speaking country, or have at least one parent born in Asia, Africa or Oceania or have both parents born in another non-English speaking country outside of those regions." NOTE: I actually think the afl.com.au article is incorrect as Oceania is NOT eligible as far as I understand.

More info.

"For those not Indigenous or themselves born overseas in a culturally and linguistically diverse country (that is, classified by the ABS as not a 'main English-speaking' country), a 'Qualified NGA' player requires one of their parents to have been born in Africa or Asia. For a CaLD NGA player to be Qualified, both parents need to have been born overseas in a culturally and linguistically diverse country."

Cam MacKenzie was eligible as one of his parents were born in either Africa (SA for him) or Asia. He was considered a 'Qualified NGA player'.

Alix Tauru has his Dad born in Sweden, he said his Dad met his Mum, they travelled here and had him here. Didn't mention his where his Mum was born but can only assume it was either here or an English speaking country. Being a 'CaLD NGA' option, both parents need to be born o/s in a 'culturally and linguistically diverse country'.

Mitch Owens' Mum was born in Japan I believe, his Dad Australia. But because Japan is in that Asia/Africa category, he was eligible as a 'Qualified NGA'.

Ah-Mu next year isnt eligible as Samoa isnt in Asia, so he'd have to qualify under the CaLD NGA rules. Assume thats also why Moraes didnt qualify also.

Kako has both parents born in Iraq, so hes qualified under CaLD rules.

Lenny Hofmann was born in Switzerland, both of his parents were born there also, so another under CaLD rules.

Adrian Cole is also eligible but due to his father being from Nigeria, so hes a 'Qualified NGA' having one parent born in Africa.

Anyway, it would be nice for the AFL to provide clarification as to where prospective NGA players' parents were born, or why they aren't eligible. As much as it's a bit of an invasion of privacy, it would alleviate some obvious angst amongst supporters.
Shouldn't Ah-mu qualify as Samoa is in Oceania?
Moraes misses out because his one overseas parent is not from the 3 target regions.

Connor Idun pulled out of our academy because he's not African enough. Ted Clohesy? Yep, he's African he can be in the academy.

Connor's Mum is Australian and his Dad was born in England. His grandparents were born in Africa but surely we can't go back to grandparents for eligibility. Imagine clubs would then be trying to get Grandfather-Grandson access.

Clohesy's Mum was born in South Africa, so he is eligible.

Connor's Mum is Australian and his Dad was born in England. His grandparents were born in Africa but surely we can't go back to grandparents for eligibility. Imagine clubs would then be trying to get Grandfather-Grandson access.

Clohesy's Mum was born in South Africa, so he is eligible.
I know the details just am odd outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Draft Rumours 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back