Rumour Draft Rumours 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to figure out why it's odd for you? Is it because he looks more African than a white guy? It's his grandparents, not parents, very obvious outcome in my opinion.

No it's not looks or race its because clohesy came from a heavily vfl involved family and would have chosen football without an NGA whereas I'd argue iduns dad is from a country where afl isn't the first spot and therefore an NGA qualification should apply. Just an odd way they have set the rules.

Dattoli was the other one I was thinking of yes I think he will get to 30.
With hannaford don't be surprised if he slides. I love what he brings but clubs these days are off players that have poor endurance so his 2k time will see him slide (unless he was sick etc).
Yeah, his 2k was terrible. But his footy was terrific. Only takes one team to like him enough. Dattoli I think goes in the 20s.

Surely Eagles pick up Knoble in the rookie draft ?
He might be a few years of development needed but at 206cm and with Barnett , B Williams and Flynn all looking
like spuds as genuine ruckman.
Would def take him

If the rest of the competition lets Max Knobel fall to Fremantles rookie pick, ill throw up.

Id be picking him up in the main draft if im Geelong
He was delisted so can't someone sign him as a DFA before the draft?

You'd expect multiple club would be asking the question of him right now.

Yeah, his 2k was terrible. But his footy was terrific. Only takes one team to like him enough. Dattoli I think goes in the 20s.

I agree but we've seen guys with poor 2ks go as rookies or not at all there's a trend against it. I agree with you in that if I was a recruiter I'd take hannaford in the top 20 but I think he will slide and be available later.

You could be right on dattoli 2nd round probably is his range.

He was delisted so can't someone sign him as a DFA before the draft?

You'd expect multiple club would be asking the question of him right now.

Yes like you guys did with Ryan Abbott it can be done.

If the rest of the competition lets Max Knobel fall to Fremantles rookie pick, ill throw up.

Id be picking him up in the main draft if im Geelong

Will be interesting if they persist with SDK in the Ruck or not.

Basically on our list right now we have these guys playing Ruck

• SDK: Not a ruckman but showed some things when he did play there, had some of his best games in 2024 playing Ruck.
  • Blicavs: Again not a ruckman but covers when whoever is the starting ruck is resting. Very versatile, can play multiple positions
  • Tony Conway: Chilli like the future just can’t stay healthy atm. Can lean into both lumbering ruck and agile ruck moulds when required. Key is staying healthy.
  • Stanley: Plays more like the agile modern rucks than the traditional lumbering ones. Body is cooked though, great servant that is good to cover for depth.
  • Shannon Neale: More of a forward than a ruck, can cover if SDK/Stankey is off the ground and do some tap work in the forward half.
  • Mitch Edwards - Hasn’t been able to get on the park at VFL level but is a modern day ruck mould that Cats will absolutely love to have in the ranks when up and going. Could be anything.

Just don’t know if Scotty and co will want to go down that path, I personally think we need Ruck coverage and Knobel would be a great fit while Conway is recovering and Stanley is cooked. But I can see them persisting with SDK as starting ruck and playing Blicavs at Fullback…

Have heard we are into Blakiston though so maybe Knobel is not the option.

Last edited:
There’s talk that this draft is pretty overrated.

I don’t know if it’s an overreaction or if that’s even the right word. But there’s a feeling that even though there’s a lot of depth in this draft, it’s hardly a super draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It isnt being overrated because there is no clear #1 standout like most years.

It is deeper in that the next tiers after the top tier ( not the same level as JHF and Reid) runs deeper and so on.

More choice of quality players into the 3rd round.

No super eliete player standing out pre draft as in previous years.

A group of 6 at the 2nd top tier. Then from say 15 to 30 it starts getting even but still very promising. Like the 2nd round quality stetches into the 3rd round. And some say the best player just may get taken after 30.

• SDK: Not a ruckman but showed some things when he did play there, had some of his best games in 2024 playing Ruck.
  • Blicavs: Again not a ruckman but covers when whoever is the starting ruck is resting. Very versatile, can play multiple positions
  • Tony Conway: Chilli like the future just can’t stay healthy atm. Can lean into both lumbering ruck and agile ruck moulds when required. Key is staying healthy.
  • Stanley: Plays more like the agile modern rucks than the traditional lumbering ones. Body is cooked though, great servant that is good to cover for depth.
  • Shannon Neale: More of a forward than a ruck, can cover if SDK/Stankey is off the ground and do some tap work in the forward half.
  • Mitch Edwards - Hasn’t been able to get on the park at VFL level but is a modern day ruck mould that Cats will absolutely love to have in the ranks when up and going. Could be anything.

Just don’t know if Scotty and co will want to go down that path, I personally think we need Ruck coverage and Knobel would be a great fit while Conway is recovering and Stanley is cooked. But I can see them persisting with SDK as starting ruck and playing Blicavs at Fullback…

Think Shannon Neale is your plug and play FF for the next 8-10 years. I wouldn’t be risking him in the ruck. Although I guess Joe Daniher did it pretty well. Neale not that type of aerobic player though, maybe not yet.

Think Shannon Neale is your plug and play FF for the next 8-10 years. I wouldn’t be risking him in the ruck. Although I guess Joe Daniher did it pretty well. Neale not that type of aerobic player though, maybe not yet.

We like to use our full forward as a forward 50 ruckman, did it with Hawkins and they’ve already done it with Neale.
He won’t roam the ground doing it just in the forward 50.

They’d back in SDK/Conway/Stanley as the starting ruck to go around the ground and Blics to cover the backup spot.
Neale would just pinch hint if the ball goes into forward 50. They’ve already started doing it with him this year.

Shouldn't Ah-mu qualify as Samoa is in Oceania?
Moraes misses out because his one overseas parent is not from the 3 target regions.

Why does the AFL have only 3 target regions?

That sounds like a typically dumb AFL policy thought up by a bunch of overpaid ' old boys club' committee members.

Then in a couple of years they can get back together for another pay day and rectify the initial error. Sounds like the rules committee doesnt it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We like to use our full forward as a forward 50 ruckman, did it with Hawkins and they’ve already done it with Neale.

They’d back in SDK/Conway/Stanley as the starting ruck to go around the ground and Blics to cover the backup spot.
Neale would just pinch hint if the ball goes into forward 50. They’ve already started doing it with him this year.

I don't think we need a list filler ruck with Stanley playing on but we have a lot of list spots to fill with late draft picks so the club might take one anyway. The issue becomes if you end up stuck with Conway/Stanley/Edwards/List filler ruck all in the VFL together. Then none of them can get the game time in the ruck they require for development / match fitness. I think there is a decent argument to say that the SDK/Blitz ruck set up is our best option, at least until Conway proves his fitness.

Carlton have TDK, Pittonet and O'Keefe.

Then it's pinch hitting from McKay, Silvagni, Young and maybe Lemmey.

It's pretty hard to carry too many rucks these days.

Stanley is cooked with his knee and is really only playing on to cover conway injury. Blitz and Stanley are both likely in their last year. Neale could cover 10 % ruck but needs to stay mainly fwd next year. Edwards has had stress fractures and needs development time and Conway is fragile. I agree we need ruck coverage but they might want a ready-made state league backup more than a long term development ruck.

Carlton have TDK, Pittonet and O'Keefe.

Then it's pinch hitting from McKay, Silvagni, Young and maybe Lemmey.

It's pretty hard to carry too many rucks these days.

It's different for Geelong because all our rucks are either 33 or older or under 22 (and the young ones are mostly injury prone). We don't have any in that prime middle age bracket which Carlton have 2 of.

He looks like gunna be great player IMO

The objective of overseas born NGA is to get kids that would otherwise choose a different sport to come into footy.

Even if Connor's last name was Smith, which is more likely: the British kid with no links to footy choosing soccer or the son of a bloke who played for Port Melbourne in the 90s choosing soccer?

I'd hate to disappoint you here, but all I'm saying is that the NGA rules can throw up some randomised outcomes that are not in line with their stated objectives. Even if Connor was a white kid this is still direct evidence of that.
Trust me, I'm not disappointed. You're arguing that NGA rules suck, I'm discussing what the rules actually are and how theyve been applied to recent cases. Two complete different conversations happening in one. For the record, NGA is a shambles, I agree.

Taken from an AFL article.

"Under the current NGA rules, the player has to either be born in a non-English speaking country, or have at least one parent born in Asia, Africa or Oceania or have both parents born in another non-English speaking country outside of those regions." NOTE: I actually think the afl.com.au article is incorrect as Oceania is NOT eligible as far as I understand.

More info.

"For those not Indigenous or themselves born overseas in a culturally and linguistically diverse country (that is, classified by the ABS as not a 'main English-speaking' country), a 'Qualified NGA' player requires one of their parents to have been born in Africa or Asia. For a CaLD NGA player to be Qualified, both parents need to have been born overseas in a culturally and linguistically diverse country."

Cam MacKenzie was eligible as one of his parents were born in either Africa (SA for him) or Asia. He was considered a 'Qualified NGA player'.

Alix Tauru has his Dad born in Sweden, he said his Dad met his Mum, they travelled here and had him here. Didn't mention his where his Mum was born but can only assume it was either here or an English speaking country. Being a 'CaLD NGA' option, both parents need to be born o/s in a 'culturally and linguistically diverse country'.

Mitch Owens' Mum was born in Japan I believe, his Dad Australia. But because Japan is in that Asia/Africa category, he was eligible as a 'Qualified NGA'.

Ah-Mu next year isnt eligible as Samoa isnt in Asia, so he'd have to qualify under the CaLD NGA rules. Assume thats also why Moraes didnt qualify also.

Kako has both parents born in Iraq, so hes qualified under CaLD rules.

Lenny Hofmann was born in Switzerland, both of his parents were born there also, so another under CaLD rules.

Adrian Cole is also eligible but due to his father being from Nigeria, so hes a 'Qualified NGA' having one parent born in Africa.

Anyway, it would be nice for the AFL to provide clarification as to where prospective NGA players' parents were born, or why they aren't eligible. As much as it's a bit of an invasion of privacy, it would alleviate some obvious angst amongst supporters.

Next Generation Academies​

Level: AFL Club Program
Cultural Background: Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
Multicultural background:
  • Player born in non-English speaking country
  • Or has at least 1 parent born in Asia, Africa or Oceania or
  • Both parents born in another non-English speaking country (not Asia, Africa or Oceania)

The objective of overseas born NGA is to get kids that would otherwise choose a different sport to come into footy.

Even if Connor's last name was Smith, which is more likely: the British kid with no links to footy choosing soccer or the son of a bloke who played for Port Melbourne in the 90s choosing soccer?

I'd hate to disappoint you here, but all I'm saying is that the NGA rules can throw up some randomised outcomes that are not in line with their stated objectives. Even if Connor was a white kid this is still direct evidence of that.
The funniest is James Borlase for the Crows. Dad was a Port Sanfl star who played 250 games and captained the club to a flag. Games were in thee wrong time frame to qualify for Port as Father Son, but after footy Dad took a placement in Cairo for the Australian Wool Board - where James was born. Born in Africe, he became a Crows Nga player.

The funniest is James Borlase for the Crows. Dad was a Port Sanfl star who played 250 games and captained the club to a flag. Games were in thee wrong time frame to qualify for Port as Father Son, but after footy Dad took a placement in Cairo for the Australian Wool Board - where James was born. Born in Africe, he became a Crows Nga player.
Yeah I reckon we have one like that next year, not quite a sanfl star pedigree but both parents Australian as far as I'm aware, parents were just teaching in Asia where he was born. Dad is a semi-professional footy coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Draft Rumours 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back