DT Midfielders 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are talking Morabito up as a good 6th mid or bench option but would it be better to Pick Bastinac to save 50k?

In the U18s Championships Bastinac and Morabito averaged right about the same - 67 and 66.6.

But, Bastinac averaged 90.6 for the dande stingrays. Morabito averaging 54.7 for Peel Thunder. (Stats off DTTALK poster)

If Bastinac starts rd1 i will pick him over Morabito i think. Morabito is guranteed to start i though with Rhys Palmer out. What are your thoughts?

People are talking Morabito up as a good 6th mid or bench option but would it be better to Pick Bastinac to save 50k?

In the U18s Championships Bastinac and Morabito averaged right about the same - 67 and 66.6.

But, Bastinac averaged 90.6 for the dande stingrays. Morabito averaging 54.7 for Peel Thunder. (Stats off DTTALK poster)

If Bastinac starts rd1 i will pick him over Morabito i think. Morabito is guranteed to start i though with Rhys Palmer out. What are your thoughts?

I'd pick them both but start Morabito on the ground because he's already built AFL standard and will probably play 22 games.

Absolute crap.

I have never seen a bloke get more cheap touches in the back half than this bloke did through Rd 7 & 8. Could not care what position he lined up his role was defensive sweeper.

Rd 7 : 34 touches and 16 marks
Rd 8 : 37 touches and 7 marks

Just in case my memory was slipping I checked some match reports which all talked about his cheap touches in the back half. The FF comment of "fast becoming the new Bowden" was a fair indication of his role.

Not saying he won't be a decent DTr, he'll be fantastic as Melbourne improve in the next couple of years. He's probably the softest player to run around in the past 10 years (including Nathan Lonie) which is perfect for DT because he never gets near enough contests to get injured. After seeing him shirk 3 contests in 1 game that was enough for me.

On checking I made a mistake. It was round 7 at Subi that he went down back, not round 14. I knew it was against West Coast but I got the rounds mistaken.

That said, in the first 6 rounds he scored over 90 points 4 times playing on a wing. He finds the ball easily wherever he plays. Your assertion that he only scores well in the backline is wrong. Eade tagged in him in the second half such was his dominance in the Bulldogs game - yes in the backline.

To also say that he's the softest player you've seen in 10 years is pitiful and grand standing of the highest order. Soft 19 year olds don't get tagged against top 4 sides. It's a popular sentiment and understandable for unthinking opposition supporters. Many with his physique don't play until their third year let alone play 40 in their first two. He's made mistakes in the "go when it's your turn" stakes, but he's also shown courage in other contests and will improve as he gets confidence in his body.

That said, I can understand your hubris and cheap shots.

Refer again to paragraph two.

On checking I made a mistake. It was round 7 at Subi that he went down back, not round 14. I knew it was against West Coast but I got the rounds mistaken.

That said, in the first 6 rounds he scored over 90 points 4 times playing on a wing. He finds the ball easily wherever he plays. Your assertion that he only scores well in the backline is wrong. Eade tagged in him in the second half such was his dominance in the Bulldogs game - yes in the backline.

To also say that he's the softest player you've seen in 10 years is pitiful and grand standing of the highest order. Soft 19 year olds don't get tagged against top 4 sides. It's a popular sentiment and understandable for unthinking opposition supporters. Many with his physique don't play until their third year let alone play 40 in their first two. He's made mistakes in the "go when it's your turn" stakes, but he's also shown courage in other contests and will improve as he gets confidence in his body.

That said, I can understand your hubris and cheap shots.

Refer again to paragraph two.

Fair point mate.

"Soft player" comment was uncalled for, sorry about that one.

Ultimately, we're both in agreement that given the right circumstances he will be a premium DTr. The only real question is whether that is this year or down the track.

Cheers

Comparing U/18 stats where future stars play against skinny teenagers with WAFL stats where they play against mature, physical and experienced men is a little different though.

For mine, 65-70 in 18s is probably about the same as 50 in WAFL, which is probably a good indication of their scoring capacity at AFL level.

I would probably go Morabito due to his extra size.

Which mid do u guys think will be the best pick to stay in my team from round 1 - 22 and score consistently and highly? I've got swan and can't afford ablett or Monty. I'm leaning towards selwood as he played 22 games but what do u guys think?

Which mid do u guys think will be the best pick to stay in my team from round 1 - 22 and score consistently and highly? I've got swan and can't afford ablett or Monty. I'm leaning towards selwood as he played 22 games but what do u guys think?

Conney, Watson or Swallow.

All will play 22 games and their prices will increase.

VERY optimistic there Cupcakes. Anything above 60 in a debut year is a bonus IMO.

The extra money for Scully/Trengove/Martin/Morabito/Cunnington is worthwhile as they are assumed to have better job security than a Blease/Shuey/Bastinac, but if during the pre-season this is shown not to be the case then you'd be better off with the cheaper option.

Yeah its definitely optimistic. For a player that might make $100,000 and will only play 15 games i think these players are a big risk. May as well go with the mid-priced player instead that you know will play 22.

Yeah its definitely optimistic. For a player that might make $100,000 and will only play 15 games i think these players are a big risk. May as well go with the mid-priced player instead that you know will play 22.
The problem with going with the mid priced player is that he is unliklely to make you any money that you may want to use for upgrades down the track so you will be limited in finding funds to upgrade players meaning the youll have to probably downgrade some of your better players to get the players you want. At that rate youll either run out of trades quick smart or wont have the money to afford the players you really need to better your side throughout the season
I can see Scully,Martin and Trengrove rising to at least 300k+ should they play at least 15 games this season with the chance that you might make another 100-130k gain from players like Morabito,Shuey,Cunnington and Bastinac.
This which will give you a huge cash injection to upgrade players later on and allows you to fit as many high priced guns at the start of the season as well and thats got to be better than what any mid range player will get you.
Nobody wins any fantasy comp without taking risks and being conservative in this game will not get you very far at all so its best to take a punt on some of these kids early on to set you up later on down the track.

What are peoples thoughts on L. Adams as an underpriced mid?

how likely is he to maintain his spot?

Has had a couple of weeks off in preseason after straining his knee (the one he had a recon on) but should be playing in the intra club next week and be fully ready for RD1.

Probably too much of a risk really, am a big fan but plenty of competition for him at the start of the year.

The problem with going with the mid priced player is that he is unliklely to make you any money that you may want to use for upgrades down the track so you will be limited in finding funds to upgrade players meaning the youll have to probably downgrade some of your better players to get the players you want. At that rate youll either run out of trades quick smart or wont have the money to afford the players you really need to better your side throughout the season
I can see Scully,Martin and Trengrove rising to at least 300k+ should they play at least 15 games this season with the chance that you might make another 100-130k gain from players like Morabito,Shuey,Cunnington and Bastinac.
This which will give you a huge cash injection to upgrade players later on and allows you to fit as many high priced guns at the start of the season as well and thats got to be better than what any mid range player will get you.
Nobody wins any fantasy comp without taking risks and being conservative in this game will not get you very far at all so its best to take a punt on some of these kids early on to set you up later on down the track.
I understand your point.... But in the mids this year there are quality mid-priced players such as Swift, Masten, Ward etc who you can gurantee will always be in the 22 and make you plenty of money also. It also saves you that trade later on because if they can average 85-90, then there is no need to get rid of them. Certainly 3 rookie mids is the go for me this year, with only Trengove starting and Martin and Bastinac on the bench. All 3 will make you plenty of dough, while barring injuries, the other 6 should be keepers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand your point.... But in the mids this year there are quality mid-priced players such as Swift, Masten, Ward etc who you can gurantee will always be in the 22 and make you plenty of money also. It also saves you that trade later on because if they can average 85-90, then there is no need to get rid of them. Certainly 3 rookie mids is the go for me this year, with only Trengove starting and Martin and Bastinac on the bench. All 3 will make you plenty of dough, while barring injuries, the other 6 should be keepers.
I cant see Swift,Ward and Masten averaging 85-90 just yet.Masten might be capable of doing so but theres no reason why highly rated draftees like Trengrove, Martin and Scully cant average 85-90 in the same way Rich,Beams and Anthony did last season and your getting them far cheaper than what Masten is for what possibly could be the same return of points and a far bigger increase in price for upgrade trades later.This sort of scenario allows me to have a midfield of Ablett,Bartel and Swan who will all gun it and will far outweigh any other cheaper midfield combination you will be forced to use should you go with the mid priced mids

I cant see Swift,Ward and Masten averaging 85-90 just yet.Masten might be capable of doing so but theres no reason why highly rated draftees like Trengrove, Martin and Scully cant average 85-90 in the same way Rich,Beams and Anthony did last season and your getting them far cheaper than what Masten is for what possibly could be the same return of points and a far bigger increase in price for upgrade trades later.This sort of scenario allows me to have a midfield of Ablett,Bartel and Swan who will all gun it and will far outweigh any other cheaper midfield combination you will be forced to use should you go with the mid priced mids
I agree with all your points, I have just decided this year to go with a more balanced midfield of 3 premiums, 2 mid pricers in Ward and Masten, and then the rookies of Trengove, Martin and Bastinac. This will be the first year I have gone without Ablett (never had Swan for some reason), and I am not fussed. There is no right or wrong answer atm I guess, will just have to see how it pans out, I think both types of combinations will give you a solid midfield average though.

I agree with all your points, I have just decided this year to go with a more balanced midfield of 3 premiums, 2 mid pricers in Ward and Masten, and then the rookies of Trengove, Martin and Bastinac. This will be the first year I have gone without Ablett (never had Swan for some reason), and I am not fussed. There is no right or wrong answer atm I guess, will just have to see how it pans out, I think both types of combinations will give you a solid midfield average though.

I agree. I think there's plenty of good mid priced value picks this year (Ward, Masten, Palmer and even M.McVeigh can be included just to name a few) that will play 22 games given they are injury free, they will earn you a little bit of money and quite possibly turn into keepers. This will mean you will only have to play on rookie on the ground and obviously 2 on the bench, so it gives you the chance to pick the absolute best available. Also, IMO there are a couple of good valued premiums that will also be bound to improve again this year including Gibbs and Vince. I can't see the value in having Gaz and Swan from the start of the season this year when there is other suitable options. Also for me, how Swan finished last year is a bit of a worry for this year.
Also one last this, people who are still caught up with how well Rich did last year and expecting the rookies to do it this year, you need to be realistic. He had a freakish rookie season of which you don't see to many like it. He had a good mature body from game one. He was playing in a quite a good team with quality players around him. His body also managed to stand up for all 22 H&A matches in his first year while still keeping his scores very competitive. Rich is definetly the anomaly!

I agree. I think there's plenty of good mid priced value picks this year (Ward, Masten, Palmer and even M.McVeigh can be included just to name a few) that will play 22 games given they are injury free, they will earn you a little bit of money and quite possibly turn into keepers. This will mean you will only have to play on rookie on the ground and obviously 2 on the bench, so it gives you the chance to pick the absolute best available. Also, IMO there are a couple of good valued premiums that will also be bound to improve again this year including Gibbs and Vince. I can't see the value in having Gaz and Swan from the start of the season this year when there is other suitable options. Also for me, how Swan finished last year is a bit of a worry for this year.
Also one last this, people who are still caught up with how well Rich did last year and expecting the rookies to do it this year, you need to be realistic. He had a freakish rookie season of which you don't see to many like it. He had a good mature body from game one. He was playing in a quite a good team with quality players around him. His body also managed to stand up for all 22 H&A matches in his first year while still keeping his scores very competitive. Rich is definetly the anomaly!

Swan was carrying an injury for the second half of last year according to MM.
With Jolly in the side and Ball plus an improving midfield and Collingwood pushing for top 4 again I wouldn't put it past Swan to increase his average from last year. I think you need one of him or Ablett because you can rely on them as captain all year.

With Jolly in the side and Ball plus an improving midfield and Collingwood pushing for top 4 again I wouldn't put it past Swan to increase his average from last year. I think you need one of him or Ablett because you can rely on them as captain all year.
I don't agree on that theory anymore. With the way the game is played these days, there are a plethora of options for captain now. Gibbs, Selwood, Riewoldt etc you can gurantee pretty much every week that they will clock up a 100, the same as Swan as Ablett. Usually I would always have one of those big two, but I just think there are cheaper options this year, allowing you to strengthen other deficient areas (such as the defence this year).

Thats a massive ask for Swan to increase his average on last years 119. Sure, I wouldn't put it past him either, but damn that's a crazy big year if he does that. The way I see it there is a chance at some point during the year one of Swan or Gaz will be a little more affordable and better value at some point during the year. If Swan averages 110 in the first 3 rounds, then one would think his price should come down a little. With him playing against WB, Melb and StK, he could averaging around that 110. It really does depend on how much attention the opposition will give him. Unlike Gaz, he's usually got his touches when he hasnt had much attention, and you can't hold that against him, it's not his fault no1 really pays too much attention to him!

I don't agree on that theory anymore. With the way the game is played these days, there are a plethora of options for captain now. Gibbs, Selwood, Riewoldt etc you can gurantee pretty much every week that they will clock up a 100, the same as Swan as Ablett. Usually I would always have one of those big two, but I just think there are cheaper options this year, allowing you to strengthen other deficient areas (such as the defence this year).

There's always up and comers that arise each year as well that present as a captaincy option as well such as Montagna last year. For me, investing is Gaz or Swan is in a way, putting your eggs in one basket. What happens is Swan gets tagged more often this season and only averages 100? That's an expensive bloke that averages 100! And sure that goes with ever other player, but they aren't worth the same amount of money.

Thats a massive ask for Swan to increase his average on last years 119. Sure, I wouldn't put it past him either, but damn that's a crazy big year if he does that. The way I see it there is a chance at some point during the year one of Swan or Gaz will be a little more affordable and better value at some point during the year. If Swan averages 110 in the first 3 rounds, then one would think his price should come down a little. With him playing against WB, Melb and StK, he could averaging around that 110. It really does depend on how much attention the opposition will give him. Unlike Gaz, he's usually got his touches when he hasnt had much attention, and you can't hold that against him, it's not his fault no1 really pays too much attention to him!

I dont think it is that they don't pay attention to him, i think in the past teams have thought of Pendlebury as more damaging.

Didak is also an easy target because like Danyle Pearce, if he gets a tag, he has a whinge like a little girl and does nothing all game (HTFU boys). So there are 2 targets to tag. Leon is also another possibility.

Too many players to tag, who dont you want to tag?

I dont think it is that they don't pay attention to him, i think in the past teams have thought of Pendlebury as more damaging.

Didak is also an easy target because like Danyle Pearce, if he gets a tag, he has a whinge like a little girl and does nothing all game (HTFU boys). So there are 2 targets to tag. Leon is also another possibility.

Too many players to tag, who dont you want to tag?

Well i guess the question is will this be the year that they pay more attention to D.Swan?

Well i guess the question is will this be the year that they pay more attention to D.Swan?
I cant see this year being any different than past years as Swan has been a high possesion player for the last 3 years yet nobody seems to pay attention to him which makes him a safe pick.
As someone eluded to earlier opposition teams prefer to stop players like Pendlebury,Didak and Davis which makes those players more vulnerable to lower scores so for me i am going to stick with Swan yet again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back