DT Midfielders 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not for me mate. Better options in the midfield such as Trengove, Shuey and Bastniac IMO.

Does anyone have thougths on Lewis Jetta?

He played seniors for Swan Districts last year but he's light as...Then again, he'd play a very outside role.

Would anyone consider him at 105k?

Absolutely.

He's a mature age rookie that has already played some quality senior WAFL... effnbewdiful.

Roos is apparently pretty happy with him and has a history of playing rookies in their first year.

If he's named in the Round 1 starting 22 then I can't see why you wouldn't get on board.

What are peoples thoughts on Cale Morton? Is he likely to improve enough to be worth his price tag or should I look elsewhere?

Well, there's not really an injury risk which is good.

[youtube]ViwtwII83oE[/youtube]

Seriously though, he has an extreme outside game which is good for DT, just not sold on the upside in a bottom 4 team. Average also distorted upwards from all the cheap touches he got in those games at HB last year.

Absolutely.

He's a mature age rookie that has already played some quality senior WAFL... effnbewdiful.

Roos is apparently pretty happy with him and has a history of playing rookies in their first year.

If he's named in the Round 1 starting 22 then I can't see why you wouldn't get on board.

Actually he does the complete opposite! He doesn't like playing them in their first year unless he knows they are ready! Obviously this is a slightly different case with Jetta being a mature ages rookie but I wouldn't expect him to play more than 10 games...

And which draftees/rookies are you referring to RustyNeverSleeps?

Daniel O'keefe (pick 15, 06)? Veszpremi (pick 13 07)? Meredith (pick 26, 07)? Johstone (pick 12, 08)? Hanneberry (pick 30, 08)?

None of these saw significant, if any, game time during their first year. Whilst you may say Jetta is mature age, you still have to earn your place. He is built like a stick, and there are many of other more mature options fringe/outside the best 22 (Bevan, Barlow, Odwyer, Meredith, Moore, etc) competing for spots who have been in the system much longer.

Not saying he wont get games, just that expecting 22, or even a round one birth, is unlikely. I expect him to have a year much similar to hanneberry's 2009 - fazed in about half way through the season and plays ~10 games - he could have fantasy relevence as a final downgrade target IMO, but Im not sure about being anything else in 2010.

Then again, Im not a coach, and Nab cup could change everything.

Kane Cornes coming to terrorise our DT backlines:

Williams hinted that Cornes would be used in a different role this season.

“Kane was an outstanding forward as a youngster and he can run like hell, so for him to be able to do that is a good possibility,” Williams said.

“We all know he’s one of the great taggers in the AFL, so [playing forward] freshens him up and gives him some alternatives to think about. It also gives the opposition something to think about as well.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89284/default.aspx

In regards to Swan's rookies, Hannebury managed 10 games while still doing Year 12 in Melbourne and was told that he was unlikely to get any games in 2009. Not saying this is the norm, but it is possible.

I think Rohan won't play at all next year, but TDL and Jetta should both, as mature age recruits and Sydney unlikely to play finals, should manage 10+ games hopefully for us DTers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Craig Bird played 21 games in '08 in his rookie season.

Due to the gap in our side with no one to fill his role. I can see TDL playing a lot this season due to the gap in our side in small forwards. Lewis Jetta has much competition for a sport especially with the add in of McGlynn and Kennedy. I would say Byron Sumner will also play a few games this year as from all reports he is training the house down!

What kind of scores do people expect Trengrove, Martin, Scully getting?

Daniel Rich (around 75ppg avg) or Liam Anthony (96ppg avg) area?

At $150,000 mark for these players you want to make $150,000 out of them so minimum 70ppg. I mean if players like Bastinac can get up to the 70ppg mark there's an extra $60K right there that i'd rather have.

What kind of scores do people expect Trengrove, Martin, Scully getting?

Daniel Rich (around 75ppg avg) or Liam Anthony (96ppg avg) area?

At $150,000 mark for these players you want to make $150,000 out of them so minimum 70ppg. I mean if players like Bastinac can get up to the 70ppg mark there's an extra $60K right there that i'd rather have.

VERY optimistic there Cupcakes. Anything above 60 in a debut year is a bonus IMO.

The extra money for Scully/Trengove/Martin/Morabito/Cunnington is worthwhile as they are assumed to have better job security than a Blease/Shuey/Bastinac, but if during the pre-season this is shown not to be the case then you'd be better off with the cheaper option.

Seriously though, he has an extreme outside game which is good for DT, just not sold on the upside in a bottom 4 team. Average also distorted upwards from all the cheap touches he got in those games at HB last year.

Rubbish. He scored his best when he was on the wing. I expect him to play midfield this year. He didn't start playing back until the round 14 West Coast game when Rivers and Frawley got injured at Subi. Morton's scores were inferior for the rest of the year.

I will ask this again:
Does anyone see any value in Jarrad Mcveigh at 355k?

Not sure whether any houses have been trained down, but I think with McVeigh a lot will ride on O'Keefe. If O'Keefe gets the main tag then McVeigh can be a decent scorer, and he's a good goal-kicking midfielder (kicked the most goals of any midfielder in 2008 I believe).

He does play for Sydney though, who aren't renowned for their DT numbers, and if he gets tagged (which is highly likely) he'll be very frustrating. Probably not worth considering at his price IMO.

Not sure whether any houses have been trained down, but I think with McVeigh a lot will ride on O'Keefe. If O'Keefe gets the main tag then McVeigh can be a decent scorer, and he's a good goal-kicking midfielder (kicked the most goals of any midfielder in 2008 I believe).

He does play for Sydney though, who aren't renowned for their DT numbers, and if he gets tagged (which is highly likely) he'll be very frustrating. Probably not worth considering at his price IMO.
That is why I am a little unsure on him, he could potentially average 90-95 but then maybe only 85-90, which isn't worth it at 355k. Will monitor is his NAB cup form very closely.

Is anyone interested in Mitch Robinson?

With Judd gone for the first 3 rounds and Murphy likely to ease back into action, i think he is a very likely replacement to play as an inside midfielder. I'm quite sure that he was quite a high posession winner before he got drafted - didn't seem to get much of it last year though. He's probably priced a little too high for the uncertainty he presents but i think he could have potential and his average is decreased a fair bit due to the 17 he scored against Sydney, although i guess the opposite could be argued for his great game against Collingwood where he scored 100. *Plus he's a bit of an idiot*

But I think he could get the opportunity early, it will just be whether he's good enough to make the most of it.

Is anyone interested in Mitch Robinson?

With Judd gone for the first 3 rounds and Murphy likely to ease back into action, i think he is a very likely replacement to play as an inside midfielder. I'm quite sure that he was quite a high posession winner before he got drafted - didn't seem to get much of it last year though. He's probably priced a little too high for the uncertainty he presents but i think he could have potential and his average is decreased a fair bit due to the 17 he scored against Sydney, although i guess the opposite could be argued for his great game against Collingwood where he scored 100. *Plus he's a bit of an idiot*

But I think he could get the opportunity early, it will just be whether he's good enough to make the most of it.

Carlton are definitely going to need some midfielders to step up this year. I think Robinson and Grigg could both be good smokies to consider for early prise rises.

Rubbish. He scored his best when he was on the wing. I expect him to play midfield this year. He didn't start playing back until the round 14 West Coast game when Rivers and Frawley got injured at Subi. Morton's scores were inferior for the rest of the year.

Absolute crap.

I have never seen a bloke get more cheap touches in the back half than this bloke did through Rd 7 & 8. Could not care what position he lined up his role was defensive sweeper.

Rd 7 : 34 touches and 16 marks
Rd 8 : 37 touches and 7 marks

Just in case my memory was slipping I checked some match reports which all talked about his cheap touches in the back half. The FF comment of "fast becoming the new Bowden" was a fair indication of his role.

Not saying he won't be a decent DTr, he'll be fantastic as Melbourne improve in the next couple of years. He's probably the softest player to run around in the past 10 years (including Nathan Lonie) which is perfect for DT because he never gets near enough contests to get injured. After seeing him shirk 3 contests in 1 game that was enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back