DT Midfielders 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The improvement would come from Vince taking the tag - simple yes, but has had massive ramifications for players in the past who have been allowed to score more freely.

I also have never been a fan of the "too many good mids" idea of "too many players" - look at Geelong (ABCS, Enright, SJ, Chapman), Saint Kilda (Goddard, Hayes, Montagna, Riewoldt, Dal Santo, etc) and even collingwood (Didak, Swan, Pendles, Leon). Theres no reason why a potentially top 4 team can't have multiple high scorers who share the ball around.

Its not that there is too many midfielders, it's just that they take so many routes to goal. Geelong have a lot of gun midfielders but they all usually touch the ball moving forward because they share it so much whereas Adelaide go forward through anyone. That's just what I observed last year.

Looking at last year's Fantasy Freako from Rd21 Thompson had averaged 83% TOG for the year with Vince 77%. In a team that doesnt depend on them outside of ball ups as much as midfielders at other clubs, I think you want it to be more.
I think Brisbane, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs' midfielders are similar to Adelaide's in that they dont have to go through certain ones.
Luke Power (90% TOG), Sewell (88%), Mitchell (94%) although they do like to go through him and Daniel Cross (88%) are examples of where I would like Thompson's TOG to be.
Not as important for Vince if he is to be tagged this year but yeah, you have a good case that he will rise slightly but I dont think more than 5ppg.
I would much rather pay 10k more and get say Selwood, Pendlebury or Mitchell.

I think Adelaide will be the big sliders down the ladder this year, this could limit the flow of ball in the Adelaide mid. I'm going to try to get players from teams who improve based on last year because this generally means players have a higher probability of increasing their avg's.

So far the hawks, kangas, eagles all look to improve so Ive tried to incorporate some players from those teams.

I think Adelaide will be the big sliders down the ladder this year.

People say this every year and they are proven wrong every time.

I'm kind of getting sick of it now :(.

Before our recent run of injuries if i was to choose the "St Kilda's of last year" i would have chosen Adelaide and Hawthorn.

Hey guys.. this is my first time through DT and i wanted to ask a question.

My midfield looks as following:

Swan
Ablett
Mitchell
Masten
Martin
Jetta

Banner
Shuey

What are the drawback from having swan and ablett in the team? I only have 16 000 left but wanted to know if it was worth trading one of the top tier guys for a cheaper option and upgrading some of the rookies. My theory has been to have 3-4 keepers in each area and rookies/previously injured coming back players to make up the rest to upgrade later.

The improvement would come from Vince taking the tag - simple yes, but has had massive ramifications for players in the past who have been allowed to score more freely.

I also have never been a fan of the "too many good mids" idea of "too many players" - look at Geelong (ABCS, Enright, SJ, Chapman), Saint Kilda (Goddard, Hayes, Montagna, Riewoldt, Dal Santo, etc) and even collingwood (Didak, Swan, Pendles, Leon). Theres no reason why a potentially top 4 team can't have multiple high scorers who share the ball around.
:thumbsu: Yeah the more good mids the better I reckon.

My current midfield is Bartel, Masten, Martin, Trengove, Shuey (Jetta & Banner)

Im looking at starting another keeper in there, hoping Masten turns into and the rookies make me lots of cash.

Which of the following you recommend? Cooney + 80k or Thompson +45k or Gibbs?

My current midfield is Bartel, Masten, Martin, Trengove, Shuey (Jetta & Banner)

Im looking at starting another keeper in there, hoping Masten turns into and the rookies make me lots of cash.

Which of the following you recommend? Cooney + 80k or Thompson +45k or Gibbs?

Gibbs. Cooney still has to deal with hard tags and Thompson is likely to have peaked as a result of TOG and midfield rotations.

can anyone help with my midfield selection trouble?

Option 1:Bartel, Pendlebury, Cooney, Masten, Trengove, Martin
Option 2:Bartel, Boyd, Mitchell, Masten, Trengove, Martin

also is masten a good pickup

Let them be mate. :)

Agree.

I've steered clear of Ablett the last two years and to get to upgrade to him was bloody difficult as injuries and donuts kept me from doing so.

I've learnt my lesson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found a way to upgrade to Ablett, it wasnt too hard as i had a more mid-priced strategy last year.

The next week? He got injured so i traded him back out.

Look at his total score for the season too, he doesnt play 22 games. I also cant see how he can improve on last year.
I wont care if he doesnt improve.His average was the 2nd best in the league last season out of all midfielders so if he keeps that up i will be happy even if it means he will miss a couple of games.Ive got plenty of cover in the midfield area for any midfielders who may miss games but i would much rather have him than not with the scores he can produce

Option 2 is the best by far!!!!!!! But why dont you downgrade trengove to barlow and use the extra 50k to upgrade mitchell to hayes?

My midfield is: Ablett Bartel Boyd Pendelbury Mitchell Martin (Sheuy Bastinac)

in other words its;

pendles vs boyd
and
cooney vs mitchell

i think pendles has more upside than boyd but boyd is going to get you a decent score week in week out and is more durable
depends if you want to take a risk or not with that one

cooney has more scope for improvement than mitchell, also considering that mitchell may be spending time in the forward line and has never been a prolific goal scorer.
but mitchell will most likely average more.

if i were you i would boyd and mitchell as its the safest option durability wise and you know what you're getting straight up
(although i prefer sewell over mitchell, tackling machine)

if you are feeling risky take the first option

thanks guys for the feedback. leaning towards the boyd and mitchell set up at the moment becuase theyll both play 22. Starting to not like the idea of pendlebury because at some stage ill want swan and although i know it has no effect of their scoring, i would prefer to have just the one magpie in the middle.

Why on earth is everyone staying so far away from Ablett?

I have the following reasons

- Premiership/Brownlow "hangover" - Basically his preseason will be shorter and I question if his passion will be quite as good.(This applies to all Saints and Cats, imo).
- Price - It only takes an 80 from him and he will fall 40k.
- Injuries - He misses games fairly consistently.
- Choice - Bartel is historically every bit as good as Ablett barring last year and is what 50k cheaper? Other good options also exist.

That said, I have him in my team atm, but those are the thoughts that went through my head. I have him and Swan in to prop up a rookie heavy midfield which is why I finally picked him as I needed every point I can get from my premiums. In my secondary team I very much doubt he will be in as that is a very different strategy.

Throwing caution to the wind this year in the hope of some luck and many an upgrade , my team has alot of rookies that I hope to perform/lift in the early rounds.

My Midfield at the moment is
Swan, Gibbs, Ablett, Mclean, Sloan, Scully, Morabito and Shuey.

Thinking about possible swapping Mclean out, also a little worried about the ablett boycotting atm.

Any reason no one is getting behind kornes?

I've stayed away from Ablett so far and have got Bartel and Selwood because I'm just not confident Ablett will have the super season again and again after the brownlow, premierships, all the gold coast talk and stuff going on off the field, it's just a hunch but each to their own.

I found a way to upgrade to Ablett, it wasnt too hard as i had a more mid-priced strategy last year.

The next week? He got injured so i traded him back out.

Look at his total score for the season too, he doesnt play 22 games. I also cant see how he can improve on last year.

With Ablett his average is probably going to drop some time and therefore his price. With the right premium with upside and good timing you can trade in Ablett for considerably less. He is a tad injury-prone and Geelong are infamous for wrapping stars in cotton wool, so be careful but he is probably a must-have if you want to win the comp

Mastern will improve this year IMO but i just dont think he is a good dreamteamer. Last year 1 game he got 38 disposals but only just managed to get 101. His numbers will increase this year but unless he takes more marks this year, i dont think he will be that good as a dreamteamer. That is why i am not getting mastern, but it is tempting to see that he can actually get that amount of disposals, and at some stage he might end up in my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back