DT Midfielders 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought on the midfield rookies this year. If, like last year, you select someone like beams(who you believe will be in the top 3 scoring rookies) but they arent selected round 1 would you still keep them in the team and hope they come in round 2 or 3? Or would you trade them to the next best looking rookie who has been named? Because of the partial lockout we will get the chance to change our rookies depending on who is named but IMO I dont think I would make the change. If this rookie who I selected has atleast been named on the emergency I would stick with them.

Just a thought on the midfield rookies this year. If, like last year, you select someone like beams(who you believe will be in the top 3 scoring rookies) but they arent selected round 1 would you still keep them in the team and hope they come in round 2 or 3? Or would you trade them to the next best looking rookie who has been named? Because of the partial lockout we will get the chance to change our rookies depending on who is named but IMO I dont think I would make the change. If this rookie who I selected has atleast been named on the emergency I would stick with them.

correct.

If anything was leant from TD's starting team and then trades...it was patience.

I wouldnt take it for granted that all these mids are locks for round 1. Whilst they look promising unless they perform during the NAB, Intra club trilas and training these guys wont be automatic walk ups. Obviously until Team Sheets are posted rnd 1 we wont know, and even then they more likely then not will be on extended benches.

The other issue is that they have to have opportunity from within the team. The majority of players will be 100% fit at the start of the year so competetion from guys already entrenched in the club will be fierce....I mean if Cotchin is 100% fit do you think he'll let Martin walk straight in with out a fight.

Their will be a lot of guys who have doing their apprenticeships with VFL/SANFL/QAFL/WAFL that will be knocking on the door also.

Whilst guys like Trengove, Martin, Bastinac, Cunnigham, Morrabito all are looking juicy at this stage you would be crazy at locking any in...To me the only thing i'm looking at is Prices to determine team structure.

One golden rule to remember.

Obviously if you're here reading this right now- you're obviously commit to doing the research.

So back that research.

If your rookie isn't named round 1, it's not the end of the world. I mean, who traded out Palmer in 08 at the last minute?

Last year, who traded out Beam? Who swapped Broughton for Schoenmakers because one was named and the other wasn't?

Back your research. You've done it for a reason- Not to throw it out the night of lockout.

One golden rule to remember.

Obviously if you're here reading this right now- you're obviously commit to doing the research.

So back that research.

If your rookie isn't named round 1, it's not the end of the world. I mean, who traded out Palmer in 08 at the last minute?

Last year, who traded out Beam? Who swapped Broughton for Schoenmakers because one was named and the other wasn't?

Back your research. You've done it for a reason- Not to throw it out the night of lockout.

How about Anthony.....LOL

I wouldnt take it for granted that all these mids are locks for round 1. Whilst they look promising unless they perform during the NAB, Intra club trilas and training these guys wont be automatic walk ups. Obviously until Team Sheets are posted rnd 1 we wont know, and even then they more likely then not will be on extended benches.

The other issue is that they have to have opportunity from within the team. The majority of players will be 100% fit at the start of the year so competetion from guys already entrenched in the club will be fierce....I mean if Cotchin is 100% fit do you think he'll let Martin walk straight in with out a fight.

Their will be a lot of guys who have doing their apprenticeships with VFL/SANFL/QAFL/WAFL that will be knocking on the door also.

Whilst guys like Trengove, Martin, Bastinac, Cunnigham, Morrabito all are looking juicy at this stage you would be crazy at locking any in...To me the only thing i'm looking at is Prices to determine team structure.

Bastinac is a lock... Il give you the tip.

Don't be suprised if he plays more games than Cunnington this year.

He's been just about North's #1 performer in athletic performance, and ball skills since arriving at the club.

There's a spot on the wing waiting for him in the Rnd 1 of the Nab Cup, and if he does well, I doubt you will see him out of the side for half of the season.

Ye, but if i were you i wouldnt take the risk on 3 rookies, its too many if things go wrong

Asking for trouble imo. Serious trouble.

Melbourne people seem to think that Scully will be brought along slowly. Whilst a supreme talent, physically will he be able to handle a full season of the in and under stuff without getting hurt? I doubt it, and so do the coaches apparently.

What happens if you start 2 rookies and have 2 rookies on the bench and you get a couple of injuries or some get rested, which is extremely common for the rookie mids. Not very many play 8 games in a row off the bat, which is usually how long it takes for them to reach their max price. Some do, but most don't. This strategy is asking for zeroes very early in the season. Just because it worked last yr, doesn't mean it will this year. What happens when you are going to be one short in your mids for a few weeks and thus want to trade in order to avoid zeroes? Who do you trade your rookie too? You'll basically be praying that another bottom priced player will emerge during this period so you can swap them to them, if not, you'll have to do a double trade to raise enough cash to trade your rookie to someone else.

Basically, starting that many rookies is great if it works. You'll have a massive leg up on the comp, but if things don't go according to plan, and they rarely do, then you're up shit creek without a paddle.

Bastinac is a lock... Il give you the tip.

Don't be suprised if he plays more games than Cunnington this year.

He's been just about North's #1 performer in athletic performance, and ball skills since arriving at the club.

There's a spot on the wing waiting for him in the Rnd 1 of the Nab Cup, and if he does well, I doubt you will see him out of the side for half of the season.

Damn.

I was hoping that most people would go with the majority and take Trengove, Martin and Cunnington (considering that Scully is going to have a delayed season).

But I agree with you. Bastinac is the one that I cannot drop from my team (unless he doesn't play NAB games).

At the moment, I have Trengove, Martin and Bastinac in my midfield and I'm trying to narrow it down to two of them. O'm leaning towards Trengove and Bastinac.

Article in the Sunday Times today regarding Dalziell's role in the Eagles team...

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/eag...-1225822913243

"WEST Coast recruit Brad Dalziell is honing his defensive talents in a bid to win a permanent spot as an Eagles' midfielder.

Dalziell has carved a reputation as a dashing winger, but the new Eagle plans to present a case for selection in next month's NAB Cup series as a run-with tagger."

As an Eagles supporter I'd rather see him on the wing or a HFF, likewise as a DT coach...

Article in the Sunday Times today regarding Dalziell's role in the Eagles team...

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/eag...-1225822913243

"WEST Coast recruit Brad Dalziell is honing his defensive talents in a bid to win a permanent spot as an Eagles' midfielder.

Dalziell has carved a reputation as a dashing winger, but the new Eagle plans to present a case for selection in next month's NAB Cup series as a run-with tagger."

As an Eagles supporter I'd rather see him on the wing or a HFF, likewise as a DT coach...

This actually makes sense.

Dalziel can use his engine as a run with player but his ordinary disposal won't be a factor in a shut down role. Depends if he's got the mental toughness for the role.

The thing that interests me out of this is that if Dalziell does become a shut down exponent of the Eagles then IMO Selwood becomes an attractive proposition.

If this means releasing Adam Selwood into a more attacking midfielder then he has the potential to increase his DT output substantially.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Selwood was the main run with guy, but his numbers are still impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This actually makes sense.

Dalziel can use his engine as a run with player but his ordinary disposal won't be a factor in a shut down role. Depends if he's got the mental toughness for the role.

The thing that interests me out of this is that if Dalziell does become a shut down exponent of the Eagles then IMO Selwood becomes an attractive proposition.

If this means releasing Adam Selwood into a more attacking midfielder then he has the potential to increase his DT output substantially.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Selwood was the main run with guy, but his numbers are still impressive.

Both excellent points. Selwood is the only recognised run-with player in the Eagles side, but Dalziell could make a very good tagger with his endurance (and it would also help disguise his suspect disposal) and free Selwood to play a more attacking role. Definitely something to look out for pre-season.

Yeah I agree about Selwood, in the games last year he got freed up his scoring increased dramatically... Dalziell might be trialled as a run-with player in a few NAB cup games, he's certainly got the engine to keep up with the best of them but whether he can develop the physical side of the role remains to be seen.

Personally I'd prefer to see him stick with his strength of running into space and being a link-up player and leave the tagging duties to the hard nuts like Selwood, Cockie and McGinnity.

My thoughts exactly... Selwood is a great player. Keep thinking of that final against Collingwood where they just got pipped. Worth a look now.

what are ppls thoughts on mark mcviegh? he is very cheap this year coz of his troubles last year

I think you would need durable premiums if you take on the 3 rookie mids. On last year if you started Rich, Otten and Robinson with Moss and Beams on the bench you would have been ok. But yeah, you are putting faith in the rookies. Trengove and Martin certainly look like goers, Cunnington and Morabito certainly look capable and you can add 2nd/3rd year players like Banner if they get a game round 1.

im guessing only Port supporters no about this player.
Averaged over 100 in the championships or in the SANFL. Hope he doesnt play round 1 so no one gets him :)

The main thing is that he's in Port's 22 because he sounds like a pretty good player to have in your DT. :)

what are ppls thoughts on mark mcviegh? he is very cheap this year coz of his troubles last year

I think I will be getting him. Averaged 89 in 2008, but only managed an average of 61 last year. And in terms of pre-season fitness, I guess no news is good news.

Mcveigh will have a better year this season. He came into last season injured and never got over them. He has had a solid PS so the signs are good. He is suspended for the 1st two games IRRC though, so it's an akward situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back