DT/SC Questions here (check Roster Watch first)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: DT/SC Questions here: Read thread first please

I'm putting Ash in my team. Our backline structure at training so far seems to have him as our designated runner from defence.

Thanks for that - useful info. :thumbsu:

I'm figuring that McGrath will represent a more secure bet than the likes of T.Kennelly, N.Malceski, J.Hunt, R.Ladson, B.Waters and M.Maguire (although I may still have one or two of them ;)) and may also have a greater possibility for improvement. Considering McGrath's second half to last year, there is a significant possibility of him becoming a key play-maker for us, I reckon.

Earlier in the year I was considering Harbrow and Adcock in my line-up, but decided that they were already priced fairly high in comparison to where they'll end up at their peak. There's also the concern that at over $400k, that any underperformance will see them as being too hard to upgrade, with a loss on their value being fatal.

At under $400k, I reckon McGrath still represents some value and if he's allowed to play a more freed-up role, he could well go up in value significantly. Likewise, with a reduced layout in comparison to Harbrow and Adcock, if McGrath does drop in value, it will be less on an impact on my overall spend, plus he'll still be close to the other mid-pricers that I've mentioned.

With S.Fisher going down, it's meant that I've had to restructure and have decided that McGrath represents the best value from players that I haven't already selected. I've improved my forward-line with the surplus cash, although, I did also need to downgrade my fourth ruck from a $100k option to B.McCauley at $83k. I figure McCauley is the best of the very limited rookie-listed ruck options this year, being a mature-age recruit. From a Lions perspective I hope we don't have to use him, but it's probably not completely off the cards.

Just got to hope now that McGrath doesn't do a soft-tissue injury! :eek:
:footy:

Who else have we got that can reliably shut down small forwards? IMO Adcock hasn't proved too successful on the flashier forwards.

Adcock was very good at the shut-down role early in his career. I suppose his role had changed to more of a zoning-off defender, thus making him less effective and purely shutting down an opponent.

I think Patfull is certainly an option. Hawksley could also be another. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Buchanan, Raines and Rischitelli given shut-down roles in defense either (although, Rischitelli probably lacks the pace to stop the faster opponents). Considering that McGrath is a faster ball-carrier and also a better kick than any of these options (perhaps bar Patfull, who I consider an elite kick of the football), it would be folly to limit him to a tight-checking role when there are others who could do that and allow him to be freed-up.

Although McGrath generally got the shut-down role on the star opposition small-forward last year, his game rapidly became more about run and carry than it did about tight checking. The next level of development could well see him take on a similar style to C.Johnson, who not only beat his opponents in the contests, but also cut them up by getting a lot of the football himself. Attack, in this case, being the best defense.

I'm putting Ash in my team. Our backline structure at training so far seems to have him as our designated runner from defence.

obviously u ahve more of an idea baout how your backline will be structured this year but what about adcock and drummond? i would have thought that these two would be used as the running backmen before mcgrath... why is this not so?

Interested in anyones thoughts on Ash vs Xavier Ellis......both in a similar price bracket. At the moment I have Ellis as I think he is going to have a big year whilst Ash is frequently required to play the shut down role.

obviously u ahve more of an idea baout how your backline will be structured this year but what about adcock and drummond? i would have thought that these two would be used as the running backmen before mcgrath... why is this not so?

Because he's quick, elusive and close to the best field kick in our team.

He already played this role last year to a considerable degree.

Interested in anyones thoughts on Ash vs Xavier Ellis......both in a similar price bracket. At the moment I have Ellis as I think he is going to have a big year whilst Ash is frequently required to play the shut down role.

I suppose with many Hawks players out injured, it's hard to tell if Ellis's role will become more reductive or if he'll get freed-up. Also, he seemed to miss some chunks of last year with injury, plus, with a number of other Hawks players under-valued in the backline, it might be a bit too much in selecting Ellis, if you already have a couple of the likes of Hodge, Ladson and Schoenmakers in the team.

Apart from that, he could be a reasonable pick. I definitely considered him last year, but I think I went for Malceski instead (and got burnt!).

Because he's quick, elusive and close to the best field kick in our team.

He already played this role last year to a considerable degree.

ye he did but wasnt that while adcock was injured? with adcock fit this year wont he take that role back from mcgrath?

I suppose with many Hawks players out injured, it's hard to tell if Ellis's role will become more reductive or if he'll get freed-up. Also, he seemed to miss some chunks of last year with injury, plus, with a number of other Hawks players under-valued in the backline, it might be a bit too much in selecting Ellis, if you already have a couple of the likes of Hodge, Ladson and Schoenmakers in the team.

Apart from that, he could be a reasonable pick. I definitely considered him last year, but I think I went for Malceski instead (and got burnt!).

Cheers, like with Ash it is his role that has me concerned.

Persoanlly I am steering away from Ladson and Schoenmakers.

Ladson is one of too many cheap injury prone/comeback options in the backline IMO. At this stage I have already gone Maguire (so cheap and will provide athe most solid price increase if given game time, although I have $70k in the bank).

As for Schoemakers I think he will do well by the team but just dont think he is going to score big points and will play a lot of tight shut down roles.

As for Hodge...YES.

Malceski burnt me last year too, just hope he doesn't make me look like a fool for not including him this year.

ye he did but wasnt that while adcock was injured? with adcock fit this year wont he take that role back from mcgrath?

Nope. I think you are underestimating how brilliant McGrath was in that role.

Malceski burnt me last year too, just hope he doesn't make me look like a fool for not including him this year.

got a feeling he will. in the few games ive seen him this year he looks to be back to his 07 form when he averaged 100 in supercoach.

As for Schoemakers I think he will do well by the team but just dont think he is going to score big points and will play a lot of tight shut down roles.

If he gets freed-up (seems to be a common thread here!), then I reckon he could be a good improver. Has decent disposal by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he gets freed-up (seems to be a common thread here!),

Spot on, I am looking for midfielders all over the fileld.

However you need to be careful...e.g. Levi Greenwood listed as DEF/MID but predominantly plays "run with roles"

Howdy ya'll.

With the ever growing midfield depth you seemed to have acquired this year do you think it will have an effect on Power?

Had a lower year then previous years so I was just wondering whether or not you think he can step his average back up to 100 this year.

Cheers.

After reading the thread it also seems that the general consensus is that McGrath will continue to take Adcock's role as a "free'd" up defender.

What do you see this meaning for Adcock's scoring?

Howdy ya'll.

With the ever growing midfield depth you seemed to have acquired this year do you think it will have an effect on Power?

Had a lower year then previous years so I was just wondering whether or not you think he can step his average back up to 100 this year.

Cheers.

It would appear that Power is going to spend considerable time in our forward line this year... he was playing off a half-forward flank vs Hawthorn last week, but could even spend time in a forward pocket.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him get thrown in the middle if we are struggling at times, but I think his scoring average may drop a bit.

It would appear that Power is going to spend considerable time in our forward line this year... he was playing off a half-forward flank vs Hawthorn last week, but could even spend time in a forward pocket.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him get thrown in the middle if we are struggling at times, but I think his scoring average may drop a bit.

Ok cheers for that.

I'm currently tossing up between Power and Vince for one of my midfield positions.

Looks like I may be getting Vince, but I'm still willing to back in ma boi Power :)

Power has had a restricted pre-season and there seem to have been a lot of other players given time in the middle. I reckon he'll be eased into 2010 and therefore his performance will be down initially. I'd predict that he therefore could be a possible upgrade target after Round 6 or so.

I reckon look out for Black as a possible upgrade in the second half of the season as well.

On another note, I've got a feeling that J.Brown won't suffer from a slow start, like he has in the past. He has got more game time into him this pre-season than previous years (I think) and the fact that he's working further up the field tends to suggest that having Fevola in the team won't negatively affect Brown's scores. Likewise, if Brown is taking contested marks on the lead and then sending the ball into a target inside 50m for score/goal assists, you can bet his scores will be quite high.

Just wondering what you guys think Joel Patful's role will be in the side? Have heard a rumour floating around that he could be used more as a taller wingman? Hows his job security also? Thanks guys

I reckon Rockliff has done more than enough to deserve a place. Banfield has worked hard and deserves to be in the mix, but in my opinion, Rockliff should have played his way into the team.

I'll be disappointed if Rockliff is overlooked, because I think given some good time in the seniors that he'll be a valuable contributor. So far this year, he has looked a good user of the ball, who not only looks good on the break when delivering into forward 50m, but he's also shown the ability to win his own ball. The fact that he can nail a goal as a small forward is something that we need as well.

Just wondering what you guys think Joel Patful's role will be in the side? Have heard a rumour floating around that he could be used more as a taller wingman? Hows his job security also? Thanks guys
Unless you could sit Voss down and administer truth serum,we won't know until the team starts competing.Even then his role could change as the season progresses.You are right,there is a possibility he may move away somewhat from his shut-down roles.His job security is high.

FWIW he is a fairly unique pick and I am considering him.

Hi there - just wondering what you see as Jed Adcock's role this year? Will the influx of players see him move up the ground, to the wings or midfield, or will he stay put.

Not only from an SC perspective, but I enjoy the way he goes about his football!!

Thanks heaps.

Remove this Banner Ad

DT/SC Questions here (check Roster Watch first)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back