Retiring Dustin Martin - retiring effective immediately 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Dusty for reinvigorating the mighty Tigers into the powerhouse we were for the 2017-2020 period. Enjoy your retirement - and remember you'll probably need to make a speech when you walk into the Hall of Fame in the first year you're eligible!

Players to win the Brownlow🏅& Norm Smith🏅in Career

Dustin Martin (4)
Brownlow: 2017
Norm Smith: 2017, 2019 & 2020

Chris Judd (3)
Brownlow: 2004 & 2010
Norm Smith: 2005

Greg Williams (3)
Brownlow: 1986 & 1994
Norm Smith: 1995

Jimmy Bartel (2)
Brownlow: 2007
Norm Smith: 2011

Simon Black (2)
Brownlow: 2002
Norm Smith: 2003

Nathan Buckley (2)
Brownlow: 2003
Norm Smith: 2002

James Hird (2)
Brownlow: 1996
Norm Smith: 2000

Martin - the only player to win both medals in the same year - 2017

That 2016-2022 Dusty was peak football performance, just unstoppable.
Was a bit sad watching him run around like a cooked goose this year, but at least he knew to get out and not worry about the Suns or any other bullshit.

Looking forward to Dusty and Dane getting arrested in Vegas in the near future.

You cried after his 300th, that's pretty weird bro
The end of his 300th in front of 92k had a very moving finality about it with him walking around and waving to the fans. Should have been his last game. It brought back all those amazing years and the gratitude after the first 27 years of my football watching life being a shitshow.

It was a bit embarrassing but **** it, I’m a Richmond nuffie, I’m allowed!

I think he could have been better though. Took too long to reach his best and was only at his best for 4 or 5 seasons before he quickly got worse. 4 All Australians for his career really isn't enough for a player with his level of talent.
‘ All Australians get remembered, but players who win grand finals on their own never die’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep hearing he's the "Greatest big game player of all time" but does this really hold up

2017 against Adelaide he was very average until after half time when the Crows had given up. Got the Norm Smith because he was the biggest star and lazy judges just went with it

2019 doesn't count for anything against a GWS team that had no hope, lost by 90 points and kicked 3 goals for the match

2021 yes he was amazing. But one amazing big game doesn't qualify you as "Greatest big game player of all time"

‘ All Australians get remembered, but players who win grand finals on their own never die’

That's right. It's a bit like Makybe Diva. She won seven (7) Group 1 races in her career, three of then were Melbourne Cups.

No horse has ever won Australia's most famous race 3 times apart from Makybe Diva. She will be forever known for winning 3 Melbourne Cups.

Dusty is the first player to win three (3) Norm Smith medals - the biggest award, on the biggest day for AFL Footy, on the biggest stage, in the biggest game of the year when it matters most. He won't ever be forgotten.

Dusty "burnt the candle at the both ends"....during Home & Away footy and Finals Footy.

Last edited:
I keep hearing he's the "Greatest big game player of all time" but does this really hold up

2017 against Adelaide he was very average until after half time when the Crows had given up. Got the Norm Smith because he was the biggest star and lazy judges just went with it

2019 doesn't count for anything against a GWS team that had no hope, lost by 90 points and kicked 3 goals for the match

2021 yes he was amazing. But one amazing big game doesn't qualify you as "Greatest big game player of all time"

You do realise he also won 3x AFLCA Player of the Finals (Gary Ayres Awards)???

I was at the 2017 GF about 4 rows back having queued overnight to get my spot in the Members - I am unsure what game you were watching - he was clearly the most dominant player on the ground receiving 13 out of the maximum 15 votes available

You lost me in 2019 doesn't count looool.

Considering he has the records yes it does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retiring Dustin Martin - retiring effective immediately 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back