Retiring Dustin Martin - retiring effective immediately 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What made you want to write the first few words? It’s baffling. You don’t even know him.

He’s a Geelong supporter. They had a 13-game winning streak against Tigers heading into the 2017QF … then Dusty proceeded to rip their hearts out from 2017-20. It’s no wonder he doesn’t like him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s a Geelong supporter. They had a 13-game winning streak against Tigers heading into the 2017QF … then Dusty proceeded to rip their hearts out from 2017-20. It’s no wonder he doesn’t like him.

A few are a bit annoyed he’s a one club player.

Ya hear that STPer?

Martin’s 5-years from 2016-2020 is undoubtedly the best 5-year period produced in the AFL era:

Brownlow votes =118 @ 1.06 per game
AA = 4
Coaches votes = 449 @ 3.97 per game

Then there’s 3 x flags, 3 x Gary Ayres Awards and 3 x Norm Smith medals within that 5-year period.

He played 10 x winning finals across 2017-2020 and received 79 coaches votes at 7.9 per game.

He was Richmond’s best midfielder AND best forward across 3 x flag campaigns. Name me a player who has been their best midfielder and best forward in 1 x final, let alone 3 x finals series? It’s just ludicrous.

We will likely never see a 5-year period of football dominance like that again in our lifetime.

The best player to have ever played the game , lifted us from laughing stock to the ones laughing . The way he carried the team at times to the 3 flags is something on a GOAT can do. Especially in 2020 what he did was herculean. Also ultra consistent every year averaging 20+ disp and a goal a game almost every year since he started and of ultra top consistent finals player.

The greatest of all time.

Lucky there is a egg shortage
Because a lot of media flogs would be wearing a lot of eggs 🥚 on there faces
Didn’t think it was possible to love him even more for everything he has given us, but I’ve been sitting back loving his typical Dusty doing what makes Dusty, Dusty. Watching the incompetence of current day media and then… just flipping the bird and walking away.
That’s 4 Normies now for me!!

I think he could have been better though. Took too long to reach his best and was only at his best for 4 or 5 seasons before he quickly got worse. 4 All Australians for his career really isn't enough for a player with his level of talent.
100%.
Still infuriates me when I think of those early days. That second season where he averaged 22 disposals and kicked 33 goals I remember thinking “**** it! We have got a dud here”.

Congratulations I don't like talking up my lot much but I think most people forget what he did for the game bursting out of packs with fend offs , it's commonly used as a offensive move now when in possession, he didn't create it but he used it perfectly...I read on the pies forum about dusty and I'm paraphrasing here one poster said he was like a Lamborghini or some other fast car and then another poster said no he's like a tractor with a lambo engine summed it up perfectly

Last edited:
Martin’s 5-years from 2016-2020 is undoubtedly the best 5-year period produced in the AFL era:

Brownlow votes =118 @ 1.06 per game
AA = 4
Coaches votes = 449 @ 3.97 per game

Then there’s 3 x flags, 3 x Gary Ayres Awards and 3 x Norm Smith medals within that 5-year period.

He played 10 x winning finals across 2017-2020 and received 79 coaches votes at 7.9 per game.

He was Richmond’s best midfielder AND best forward across 3 x flag campaigns. Name me a player who has been their best midfielder and best forward in 1 x final, let alone 3 x finals series? It’s just ludicrous.

We will likely never see a 5-year period of football dominance like that again in our lifetime.

No, it’s just the most decorated five years in terms of recognition by votes in two arbitrary awarding systems in the AFL era and again someone shows they don’t know the difference and using words like ‘undoubtedly’ don’t do anything to change that. I can play like dog shit but if that’s the best I can average 3 votes a game if the next best players are even dog shitter, can’t I.

for most of yesterday everyone, myself included, Cats fans, fans of every club, is more than willing to acknowledge a complete and utter champion and simply say well done to a player who whichever way you slice and dice it, goes down as an all time great.

Proving once again that it is not an issue of other people talking him down but of a select few people who have an issue with him not being talked up enough, here you go with this shit yet again.

Just piss off with it and let people celebrate him ffs

No, it’s just the most decorated five years in terms of recognition by votes in two arbitrary awarding systems in the AFL era and again someone shows they don’t know the difference and using words like ‘undoubtedly’ don’t do anything to change that. I can play like dog shit but if that’s the best I can average 3 votes a game if the next best players are even dog shitter, can’t I.

for most of yesterday everyone, myself included, Cats fans, fans of every club, is more than willing to acknowledge a complete and utter champion and simply say well done to a player who whichever way you slice and dice it, goes down as an all time great.

Proving once again that it is not an issue of other people talking him down but of a select few people who have an issue with him not being talked up enough, here you go with this shit yet again.

Facts aren't "shit." It is pathetic of you to come to a thread about a champion's retirement saying nobody should list his unique achievements and accolades. You are way down the wrong track.

So as to that, let's have a little bit more...Hoyney from Champion Data(totally neutral) also spoke of some of Dusty's uniquely brilliant statistics yesterday. He called them outrageous.

- Most broken tackles in the history of that stat being recorded, around 70% higher than the second most.

- Highest offensive 1 v 1 contest win ratio 49%, about as far ahead as second(Fyfe 42%, 3rd Dangerfield 41%) as what second is ahead of 15th. Fyfe and Dangerfield were also butchers of the ball where we know Dusty is a very precise and powerful kick.

- When Dusty's contest was targetted by Richmond going inside 50, this resulted in a goal 30% of the time. This is the best in the AFL, and around twice the average player return.

- Along with Dangerfield, the only 2 players to have 5 consecutive matches as top rated player on the ground(ratings commenced in 2010.) 3 of Dusty's 5 were significantly the last 3 matches of the 2020 finals series.

- Highest amount of finals as top rated player - 6, from 16 finals. Interestingly, Degoey has the second most, 5 from 13 finals.

- Dusty owns the 2nd, 3rd and 12th highest rating performances in Grand Finals since the ratings began. Nobody else has 2 entries in the top 12. Hoyney explained rating 15 is an AA level performance. 20 is wow. 30 is off its head. 2 of Dusty's 3 Grand Finals rated above 30, remember these ratings are compiled objectively, they are not subject to bias.

I am pretty sure only the top 3 Grand Final performances rated 30+ - Shuey 2018, Martin 2020, Martin 2017. Hoyney said you might only see a 30+ player rating 5-6 times per season. To do that in 2 of 3 Grand Finals is preposterous. His average player rating across 3 Grand Finals is above 28.0.

- Dusty has rated 20+ in finals 8 times(from 16 finals.) The next most is Josh Kennedy(Swans), Dangerfield, Selwood with 5. All 3 of those played in more finals than Dusty.

Whatever you say about other players unique achievements - and there are plenty Dusty can't match, nobody can come close to matching Dusty's unique achievements. It is tremendous to see the reaction to his 300th game and his retirement both from Richmond and opposition supporters. It is particularly good to see so many people do actually fully respect Dusty's rightful standing in the game. Going by what we saw on the Dusty threads from a certain few including yourself, it made me doubt that he was being properly respected for just how good a player he had been and what he had achieved.

I can see now I needn't have worried, it is just a few ill-informed or biased people making a lot of pointless noise.

Well yes I agree with most of what you’ve said here PB. I was just thinking surely of all threads this could be the one that doesn’t turn into a shit fight between Cats and Tigers fans. But alas, I guess not.

Mind you, I don’t know why people would come in here just to talk him down. If you don’t like him or don’t think he was a great player, just keep it to yourself. You know that old saying ‘If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.’

Yes I know people are entitled to their opinions but surely this thread is meant to be a bit of a tribute not somewhere to knock him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well yes I agree with most of what you’ve said here PB. I was just thinking surely of all threads this could be the one that doesn’t turn into a shit fight between Cats and Tigers fans. But alas, I guess not.

Mind you, I don’t know why people would come in here just to talk him down. If you don’t like him or don’t think he was a great player, just keep it to yourself. You know that old saying ‘If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.’

Yes I know people are entitled to their opinions but surely this thread is meant to be a bit of a tribute not somewhere to knock him.

Correct. 100%. Spot on.

But let's not delude ourselves into thinking say a Pendlebury or Dangerfield retirement thread would lack Tigers fans wanting to have their say on how they measured up against Dustin Martin. We now have the usual Richmond posters trolling anyone who thinks Dusty isn't GOAT. The wall of text above is evidence of that.

It was inevitable, once the near unanimous celebratory posts were over and done with yesterday.

Facts aren't "shit." It is pathetic of you to come to a thread about a champion's retirement saying nobody should list his unique achievements and accolades. You are way down the wrong track.

So as to that, let's have a little bit more...Hoyney from Champion Data(totally neutral) also spoke of some of Dusty's uniquely brilliant statistics yesterday. He called them outrageous.

- Most broken tackles in the history of that stat being recorded, around 70% higher than the second most.

- Highest offensive 1 v 1 contest win ratio 49%, about as far ahead as second(Fyfe 42%, 3rd Dangerfield 41%) as what second is ahead of 15th. Fyfe and Dangerfield were also butchers of the ball where we know Dusty is a very precise and powerful kick.

- When Dusty's contest was targetted by Richmond going inside 50, this resulted in a goal 30% of the time. This is the best in the AFL, and around twice the average player return.

- Along with Dangerfield, the only 2 players to have 5 consecutive matches as top rated player on the ground(ratings commenced in 2010.) 3 of Dusty's 5 were significantly the last 3 matches of the 2020 finals series.

- Highest amount of finals as top rated player - 6, from 16 finals. Interestingly, Degoey has the second most, 5 from 13 finals.

- Dusty owns the 2nd, 3rd and 12th highest rating performances in Grand Finals since the ratings began. Nobody else has 2 entries in the top 12. Hoyney explained rating 15 is an AA level performance. 20 is wow. 30 is off its head. 2 of Dusty's 3 Grand Finals rated above 30, remember these ratings are compiled objectively, they are not subject to bias.

I am pretty sure only the top 3 Grand Final performances rated 30+ - Shuey 2018, Martin 2020, Martin 2017. Hoyney said you might only see a 30+ player rating 5-6 times per season. To do that in 2 of 3 Grand Finals is preposterous. His average player rating across 3 Grand Finals is above 28.0.

- Dusty has rated 20+ in finals 8 times(from 16 finals.) The next most is Josh Kennedy(Swans), Dangerfield, Selwood with 5. All 3 of those played in more finals than Dusty.

Whatever you say about other players unique achievements - and there are plenty Dusty can't match, nobody can come close to matching Dusty's unique achievements. It is tremendous to see the reaction to his 300th game and his retirement both from Richmond and opposition supporters. It is particularly good to see so many people do actually fully respect Dusty's rightful standing in the game. Going by what we saw on the Dusty threads from a certain few including yourself, it made me doubt that he was being properly respected for just how good a player he had been and what he had achieved.

I can see now I needn't have worried, it is just a few ill-informed or biased people making a lot of pointless noise.

The person I responded to began by calling out ‘all the cats people’ ragging on him. There’s been one that I could see who made a ridiculous comment that Martin was a shit bloke, based on what - I have absolutely no idea. That’s been it. Then it begins again, the pissing contest. Just let it be.

Basically everyone else has been in here deservedly acknowledging an all time champion of the game, which is what it should be…. And then it starts again.

I along with everyone can recognise a champion when we see one, and he is one.

Things that are said in other threads have nothing to do with this one, and why those stupid things are being dragged into this one is beyond me. From what I’ve seen there has been one Cats fan who made a particularly f**k headed comment based on an unhinged dislike for the man on a personal level and that has been it. And it prompted some sort of all encompassing ‘hahaha here we go again all the Cats fans are offended so let me show you some numbers’ wank from your friend earlier.

You don’t need to worry: anyone with a brain knows he was a great.

That’s fair I’m not here to try and turn it into that. Whatever my thoughts on ‘rankings’ unofficial or otherwise I know a legend of the game when I see one and it will be a while before a player like Martin comes along again that’s for sure. I just never get why one comment from one person gets taken as ‘haha look at all the [insert supporter group here] fans trying to criticise [insert player name here].’

I think this thread has shown pretty clearly how revered the guy is.

The person I responded to began by calling out ‘all the cats people’ ragging on him. There’s been one that I could see who made a ridiculous comment that Martin was a shit bloke, based on what - I have absolutely no idea. That’s been it. Then it begins again, the pissing contest. Just let it be.

Basically everyone else has been in here deservedly acknowledging an all time champion of the game, which is what it should be…. And then it starts again.

I along with everyone can recognise a champion when we see one, and he is one.

Things that are said in other threads have nothing to do with this one, and why those stupid things are being dragged into this one is beyond me. From what I’ve seen there has been one Cats fan who made a particularly f**k headed comment based on an unhinged dislike for the man on a personal level and that has been it. And it prompted some sort of all encompassing ‘hahaha here we go again all the Cats fans are offended so let me show you some numbers’ wank from your friend earlier.

You don’t need to worry: anyone with a brain knows he was a great.

I agree there is no need to denigrate people in this thread, bar the obvious misguided posts. And as I said it is pleasing to see a wide variety of club supporters according Martin the respect he deserves - this has not always been the case.

But the post you responded to was nothing about Cats v Tigers. It simply listed Dusty's achievements and awards in his peak period with the view this is the best 5 year period in the modern era. To be honest, the only way anyone could find fault with that is if they didn't rate finals performances as way more important than home and away performances. But I am confident most people do rate finals performances as having a lot more weight, thus the (almost)universal respect for Dusty.

You took an aggressive tone about that post. You could have simply acknowledged the things that are self-evidently true and said you are not as sure about it being the best 5 year period in the modern era without the aggressive/dismissive tone. The thread didn't need that.

I agree there is no need to denigrate people in this thread, bar the obvious misguided posts. And as I said it is pleasing to see a wide variety of club supporters according Martin the respect he deserves - this has not always been the case.

But the post you responded to was nothing about Cats v Tigers. It simply listed Dusty's achievements and awards in his peak period with the view this is the best 5 year period in the modern era. To be honest, the only way anyone could find fault with that is if they didn't rate finals performances as way more important than home and away performances. But I am confident most people do rate finals performances as having a lot more weight, thus the (almost)universal respect for Dusty.

You took an aggressive tone about that post. You could have simply acknowledged the things that are self-evidently true and said you are not as sure about it being the best 5 year period in the modern era without the aggressive/dismissive tone. The thread didn't need that.

fair enough.

Just by the by (I've already had my say on how good he was), it was an interesting draft 2009 when you see he & Fyfe both there.
Some really dross but littered with absolute top shelf too - Gawn, Gunston, Duncan. Some handy players too with Melksham.Sheppard, Rohan, Jetta, I'm sure there's more (not the thread to discuss it).

I was right into my drafting then and remember watching Dusty's draft highlights thinking damn I hope we can get him.
As it turned out I was stoked with Morabito's first year and will forever remember him as our greatest could have been.

Fyfe was a handy consolation at 19.

No doubt Dusty owns it though.

I keep hearing he's the "Greatest big game player of all time" but does this really hold up

2017 against Adelaide he was very average until after half time when the Crows had given up. Got the Norm Smith because he was the biggest star and lazy judges just went with it

2019 doesn't count for anything against a GWS team that had no hope, lost by 90 points and kicked 3 goals for the match

2021 yes he was amazing. But one amazing big game doesn't qualify you as "Greatest big game player of all time"
Hate this narrative around the 17 GF about the Norm and Houli.

He had a GF record equalling 22 contested possessions. Was the highest rated player on the ground.

Can guarantee I’ve watched the game more times than you have.

Correct. 100%. Spot on.

But let's not delude ourselves into thinking say a Pendlebury or Dangerfield retirement thread would lack Tigers fans wanting to have their say on how they measured up against Dustin Martin. We now have the usual Richmond posters trolling anyone who thinks Dusty isn't GOAT. The wall of text above is evidence of that.

It was inevitable, once the near unanimous celebratory posts were over and done with yesterday.

This is a Dusty celebratory thread. Naturally, Richmond supporters come and supporter their player with the stats of the record feats he has done.

Why this annoys people is truely baffling.

Unless of course they have a favourite player that didn’t do these things Dusty has done and feel insecure (ie. Ablett and Buddy fans). Don’t really hear it from from anybody else like Judd/Lethal fans. It’s strange.

But point is if you don’t like it don’t read it.

Hate this narrative around the 17 GF about the Norm and Houli.

He had a GF record equalling 22 contested possessions. Was the highest rated player on the ground.

Can guarantee I’ve watched the game more times than you have.

In all 3 Grand Finals Dusty was the highest rated player on the ground, 2 of those, including 2017 with extremely high ratings that have only ever been bettered by Luke Shuey's 2018 performance.

Across the 3 Grand Finals Dusty received 43 of a maximum 45 Norm Smith Medal votes. 14 voters rated him BOG and 1 rated him 3rd BOG. It is easy to see where the outlier is there.

Across the 3 Grand Finals he received 28 of a possible 30 coaches votes. He was maximum BOG, maximum BOG and maximum 2nd BOG according to the coaches.

So counting the ratings as 1 source, the coaches as 2 sources and the Norm Smith voters as 5 sources...he was BOG from 21 of the 24 sources across the 3 Grand Finals. He was 2nd BOG from 2 sources. And 3rd BOG from 1 source.

2019 & 20 you couldn't get any more BOG, it was unanimous from all 8 sources in both those matches.

2017 5 of the 8 sources had him BOG, 2 had him 2nd BOG, 1 had him 3rd BOG. His player rating was the 3rd highest ever recorded in a Grand Final(ratings done since 2010.)

He averaged in the 3 GF's, adjusting 2020 for a full length game:

28.6 Player rating. In most matches let alone Grand Finals, nobody on the ground gets a rating that high. That is his Grand Final average. If someone ever beats that across multiple Grand Finals, they are probably the GOAT.

25.6 Disposals.

15.5 Contested possessions

5.42 Goals + Goal Assists(the whole opposition teams averaged 6 goals between them)

9.4 score involvements.

So old mate BigPond101 must have got a little bit confused after watching Dusty struggle in 2024. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Retiring Dustin Martin - retiring effective immediately 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back