Game Day dusty doco 7:30pm on the Richmond website

Remove this Banner Ad

race nascar with ricky bobby
Will Ferrell GIF

Can you put Dusty head on this one Chief ...

I only just realized that edited out Francis Bourke for Sam MacClure?
lucious lyon wtf GIF

Last edited:
gameday? its a yes from me

I looked at the doco.

I thought it was really interesting, really interesting.

It was very interesting what the players said about Dusty.

It looks as though apart from the on field efforts Dusty is extremely important to the Tiger culture and fabric and making the place enjoyable.

It looks like Dusty helps take the edge off making it a more engaging approachable environment where players can grow and succeed.

I would not do an interview with Gerard Whately, he would bore me shitless, so to me, Dusty is a lit bit of alright from what has been revealed

Last edited:
Here is the doco:

It was very well put together. My takeaways from it:

1. Dusty will be in the AFL Hall of Fame at some stage.

2. He might be a chance to be given Legend status too in the Hall of Fame in time.

3. He's a Legend of the Richmond FC.

4. He's actually a leader, he has leadership attributes but he does it in his way.

5. He cares about the Richmond FC, the people, the staff, the players. He cares about all of them more than he cares about himself.

6. He has a big heart and it shows. He plays with power and style but he plays from the heart. All he ever wanted to do was to contribute to Richmond as best as he could. Individual awards don't mean a lot to him (even though he's a champion), team success is what matters to him most.

7. He is sort of like this mysterious mythical player, shuns the media, doesn't do a lot of interviews and yet he is admired and respected across the League by opposition players and opposition supporters.

8. 3 Norm Smith medals. When you think about, there's been 6 players kick 1000+ goals in the VFL/AFL. Kicking 1000+ goals is an excellent achievement. Yet there's only been ONE player so far win 3 Norm Smith Medals. It's like Makybe Diva winning 3 Melbourne Cups - that race is Australian racings most famous and iconic race and Makybe Diva won it 3 times. We may never see it again and if we do then it will be a very long time before we ser another horse do it again. For Martin to win 3 Norm Smith Medals, on the biggest stage, on the biggest day (Grand Final Day), in the biggest and most important game of all...not once, not twice but THREE TIMES....only one player has done it - Dusty. We may never see it again and if we do then it will be a long time before we see a player win 3 Norm Smith Medals (or more).

9. On a personal level, the last few days have been tough for myself and my family. My grandfather's health is declining. He is 96. I've spent the last few days spending time with him. I feel helpless that I can't do anything to make him better - time doesn't stop for anyone. This Dusty documentary made me smile, even made me shed a few tears, the doco gave me some happiness after what has been a tough and emotionally draining few days . So well put together. What a remarkable person. What a remarkable player. I feel so lucky to: firstly have watched him play, either live or on TV and secondly I feel so lucky as a Richmond supporter and member that he plays for our club, the Richmond Football Club.

Thanks Dusty for your massive contribution to the Tigers. Absolute legend of the club.

Here is the doco:

It was very well put together. My takeaways from it:

1. Dusty will be in the AFL Hall of Fame at some stage.

2. He might be a chance to be given Legend status too in the Hall of Fame in time.

3. He's a Legend of the Richmond FC.

4. He's actually a leader, he has leadership attributes but he does it in his way.

5. He cares about the Richmond FC, the people, the staff, the players. He cares about all of them more than he cares about himself.

6. He has a big heart and it shows. He plays with power and style but he plays from the heart. All he ever wanted to do was to contribute to Richmond as best as he could. Individual awards don't mean a lot to him (even though he's a champion), team success is what matters to him most.

7. He is sort of like this mysterious mythical player, shuns the media, doesn't do a lot of interviews and yet he is admired and respected across the League by opposition players and opposition supporters.

8. 3 Norm Smith medals. When you think about, there's been 6 players kick 1000+ goals in the VFL/AFL. Kicking 1000+ goals is an excellent achievement. Yet there's only been ONE player so far win 3 Norm Smith Medals. It's like Makybe Diva winning 3 Melbourne Cups - that race is Australian racings most famous and iconic race and Makybe Diva won it 3 times. We may never see it again and if we do then it will be a very long time before we ser another horse do it again. For Martin to win 3 Norm Smith Medals, on the biggest stage, on the biggest day (Grand Final Day), in the biggest and most important game of all...not once, not twice but THREE TIMES....only one player has done it - Dusty. We may never see it again and if we do then it will be a long time before we see a player win 3 Norm Smith Medals (or more).

9. On a personal level, the last few days have been tough for myself and my family. My grandfather's health is declining. He is 96. I've spent the last few days spending time with him. I feel helpless that I can't do anything to make him better - time doesn't stop for anyone. This Dusty documentary made me smile, even made me shed a few tears, the doco gave me some happiness after what has been a tough and emotionally draining few days . So well put together. What a remarkable person. What a remarkable player. I feel so lucky to: firstly have watched him play, either live or on TV and secondly I feel so lucky as a Richmond supporter and member that he plays for our club, the Richmond Football Club.

Thanks Dusty for your massive contribution to the Tigers. Absolute legend of the club.
Just in the interest of historical accuracy and a bit of a pub style debate, the norm smith has been around since 1979, goals have been kicked since 1897. So not exactly like for like. There's plenty of great players like KB and Lethal that won multiple flags in years before the Norm Smith was awarded. Percy Beames supposedly was BOG three GFs in a row.

I don't think a triple winner is unlikely in the future. There's been a fairly high number of dual winners given the award is relatively new, so a third isn't a huge leap. Though even being a triple premiership player is rare now, so i really think it takes a team that is consistently great across the board, with one star player better than the rest. Daicos from Collingwood probably fits the bill but he didn't get it last year.

Anyway, i too love Dusty winning all three. I just think it's very possible we see that happen again.

Just in the interest of historical accuracy and a bit of a pub style debate, the norm smith has been around since 1979, goals have been kicked since 1897. So not exactly like for like. There's plenty of great players like KB and Lethal that won multiple flags in years before the Norm Smith was awarded. Percy Beames supposedly was BOG three GFs in a row.

I don't think a triple winner is unlikely in the future. There's been a fairly high number of dual winners given the award is relatively new, so a third isn't a huge leap. Though even being a triple premiership player is rare now, so i really think it takes a team that is consistently great across the board, with one star player better than the rest. Daicos from Collingwood probably fits the bill but he didn't get it last year.

Anyway, i too love Dusty winning all three. I just think it's very possible we see that happen again.

Maybe but they have to do it "again and again and again". Not easy to do.

True but it is now a national 18 team comp instead of a local 12. Makes it a lot harder.

Then they’d have to get 3 Finals MVPs

Then a Brownlow record winning season.

His resume will never be matched.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blows away the myth that Jordan McMahon winning goal meant we would get Dusty because Melbourne picked the player we wanted.
If he missed, we still would have selected Dusty at pick 1

Maybe but they have to do it "again and again and again". Not easy to do.
Yeah definitely not easy to do, and I think how rare a triple premiership player is says a lot. Still, forever is a long time. For all we know we may get a four time winner.
True but it is now a national 18 team comp instead of a local 12. Makes it a lot harder.

Then they’d have to get 3 Finals MVPs

Then a Brownlow record winning season.

His resume will never be matched.

The additional teams is a huge factor. We had guys playing in 5 flags during the 70s and 80s but that seams a long way away. Having said that dusty managed to do it 3 times in 4 years. Probably left one on the table in 2018 aswell.

Again, never is a long time. Anything can happen in the future, and I think it's more likely than not someone meets or surpasses his resume and norm smith tally at some stage.

But to contradict myself, I don't think we'll ever see a player quite like him. He has saved all his best moments for the big games, and tore those games out of his opponents' hands. He has constantly attracted the limelight but never wanted it. He has steam rolled his opponents and kicked ridiculous goals with ease.
Even if there is another 3 time norm winner (or more), they won't do it like Dusty.

Just wanted them to keep rolling the goal highlights

I watched twice. The club needs to start making more docos like this just like how NFL films do. It was like a great stroll down memory lane. The thing I've always been blown away by with Dusty is how many freakish goals has he kicked from all angles, ranges, all sorts of pressure..... and he splits the middle almost hitting the goal umpire or right on top of his head. So many great goals in history of AFL barely snuck in or got a lucky bounce, but not our boy.

Yeah definitely not easy to do, and I think how rare a triple premiership player is says a lot. Still, forever is a long time. For all we know we may get a four time winner.

The additional teams is a huge factor. We had guys playing in 5 flags during the 70s and 80s but that seams a long way away. Having said that dusty managed to do it 3 times in 4 years. Probably left one on the table in 2018 aswell.

Again, never is a long time. Anything can happen in the future, and I think it's more likely than not someone meets or surpasses his resume and norm smith tally at some stage.

But to contradict myself, I don't think we'll ever see a player quite like him. He has saved all his best moments for the big games, and tore those games out of his opponents' hands. He has constantly attracted the limelight but never wanted it. He has steam rolled his opponents and kicked ridiculous goals with ease.
Even if there is another 3 time norm winner (or more), they won't do it like Dusty.
There will be another 3 Norm Smith winner ...

Dusty in 25, 26 and 27

I watched twice. The club needs to start making more docos like this just like how NFL films do. It was like a great stroll down memory lane. The thing I've always been blown away by with Dusty is how many freakish goals has he kicked from all angles, ranges, all sorts of pressure..... and he splits the middle almost hitting the goal umpire or right on top of his head. So many great goals in history of AFL barely snuck in or got a lucky bounce, but not our boy.

Across the 2019/20 BTB he kicked 2.2 in the 2019 PF. In the other 6 x finals in the BTB he kicked 17.0. So 19.2 in BTB flags playing predominantly midfield. But but but …. Danger is better as he has more AA’s

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I looked at the doco.

I thought it was really interesting, really interesting.

It was very interesting what the players said about Dusty.

It looks as though apart from the on field efforts Dusty is extremely important to the Tiger culture and fabric and making the place enjoyable.

It looks like Dusty helps take the edge off making it a more engaging approachable environment where players can grow and succeed.

I would not do an interview with Gerard Whately, he would bore me shitless, so to me, Dusty is a lit bit of alright from what has been revealed
great vid.....
Where was cotchin?

great doco..
been a honour and privilege to have lived through a players career that will go down forever in richmond history.
thank the gods we called out his name on draft day...
2025 contract extension = get it done!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back