Dusty the Clanger King

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely stunned to see that Dustin Martin has scored 5 or more clangers in a game more than anyone in the history of the game (since recorded stats). He has achieved the feat 100 times, the only player to ever raise the bat. Incredible to see a player like Scott Pendlebury be nowhere near the list despite playing 360 plus games and Joel Selwood well down the list despite playing 355 games. Martin has recorded 5 or more clangers in 36.9% of his games. Is there a valid reason why this very good player makes so many clangers?

View attachment 1650119

I'm told Dusty is the best kick in the AFL though.

Not surprised to see Dangerfield and Steve Johnson on that list; a little surprised Johnson's clanger % isn't higher.

Patrick Cripps burning it at just a high of a rate as Martin; Martin at his peak got more bang for his buck than Cripps though - risk/reward type player.
Taylor Adams probably not enough pay off on those numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely stunned to see that Dustin Martin has scored 5 or more clangers in a game more than anyone in the history of the game (since recorded stats). He has achieved the feat 100 times, the only player to ever raise the bat. Incredible to see a player like Scott Pendlebury be nowhere near the list despite playing 360 plus games and Joel Selwood well down the list despite playing 355 games. Martin has recorded 5 or more clangers in 36.9% of his games. Is there a valid reason why this very good player makes so many clangers?

View attachment 1650119

The 2 x players below him are both 8 x AA players and 2 of the very best players of the last 15-years, yet you are placing some level of importance to this stat.

The Bont had 13 clangers last week, and was unanimous BOG and given 10 x coaches votes.

Fyfe is about the same % as Martin and is a modern day superstar.

So I’d say committing clangers appears to align with the very greatest players of the generation and not the other way around, so perhaps you need to do a bit more research into why clangers and synonymous with the greats.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good thread. Not for the inevitable cheap shots but for trying to understand "why is it so?"

It would be interesting to combine metres gained with this stat too - I think Pendlebury and Selwood do more link-up style play. Martin often goes long either at goal or to set up a goal.

Richmond's game plan would have a bit to do with it as well - just get the pill forward at all costs.

Also think that going forward, it is much harder to hit up a target, and it is not so important to keep possession. What I mean by the latter is that going inside 50, it is all about getting a goal. Who cares if you can spot up a guy 45m out on a 60 degree angle 9 out of 10 times? How often does that get you a goal? A deeper, more risky option has a better chance of a goal. If you screw it up - what's the difference between that and the 45m out easy pass not ending up in a goal anyway?

Going forward you are more likely to have the "spare in defence" taking an uncontested turnover mark.

Only thing about that argument is that it is more about disposal efficiency than out and out clangers. I don't know the precise definition of a clanger but it should be different for a kick out of d50 to a kick into d50 in my opinion.

And the good players are asked to do the hard tasks. Only needs to come off a few times to get a few goal assists.

This OP tried to create a ‘gotcha’ thread and now looks like a goose, because majority of modern day superstars are in the list … .

Pendlebury and Selwood are not there as they don’t give away a high number of free kicks, and are not high risk takers with ball in hand. It’s not rocket science.

So I’d say committing clangers appears to align with the very greatest players of the generation and not the other way around, so perhaps you need to do a bit more research into why clangers and synonymous with the greats.

So you’re saying clangers are a positive? Why record them at all?

See them as being like play and misses for a batsman in cricket. The most prominent bats will necessarily get the most play and misses, and the most inauspicious bats like Chris Martin and Glen McGrath will be nowhere near the top of the list for misplayed balls.

Please Sttew, if there are things you don't understand, just ask for help. :)

Last edited:

Let me explain for those that are struggling to understand.

Andrew Brayshaw of 2022 gets 30 touches in a game. He doesn’t try to break any tackles. When he gets the ball he chips sideways to a free teammate. His team plays a very stagnant style of game that doesn’t involve any ‘chaos’ style footy of kicking to contests, attacking the corridor, forward handball out of stoppage that may go to the oppo and he’s not involved in any 1v1 forward contests etc… and Brayshaw rarely bites off any risky corridor kicks. He ends the game with no clangers, but he didn’t kick a goal, didn’t create any goals and played a fairly ineffectual game.

Martin breaks 4 x tackles during the game but gets caught HTB in 1 x tackle (Clanger 1). He wins 3 x 1v1 contests but gets pinged for a push in the back in his 4th 1v1 contest (Clanger 2). He bites off multiple risky kicks of which 7 come off resulting in multiple goals for the team, but he turns 2 of them over (clangers 3 and 4). He has multiple shots at goal from various angles, of which 1 sails OOF (clanger 5). He gets multiple clearances including multiple forward handballs as per team instructions and 1 goes straight to the oppo (clanger 6).

I think you get the picture. To be a truly great player you need to take risks and play on the edge. You need to create scores and impact the game. These things usually have an element of risk and expose you to committing clangers.

There’s also style of footy each team plays, with some styles more prone to clangers. For example, let’s look at Richmond’s dominant years:

2017. #1 in AFL for clangers with average of 58.
2018: #2 with average of 60.
2019: #2 (58)
2020: #1 (52)

In 2016 when Tigers were hopeless they were 7th for clangers.

FWIW Demons won the flag in 2021 and were #3 for clangers.

In 2022 Eagles finished second bottom and won 2 x games. They were last for clangers. Freo were 15th. Dogs were 17th. Bombers were 16th.

So clangers don’t really tell you anything about anything. If a player or team are not committing clangers they are likely not taking risks, not playing on the edge and likely not impacting games and winning flags.

Let me be clear to the Richmond apologists, Meteoric Rise and Noidnadroj the definition of ‘clanger’ in the context of AFL is as follows:

Clanger: An error made by a player resulting in a negative result for his side.

I know it pains you two to hear Dusty isn’t perfect. Just accept it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty the Clanger King

Remove this Banner Ad

Back