Certified Legendary Thread Eagles - Potential Premiers 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good Morning,

Yes that's my thread title and where I think the Eagles could be headed this year. There won't be many people on the MB agreeing with me, but I feel that you have a list almost ready to explode if things can click. I'll give you my reasons.

KPP - Elite. JK, Darling, McGovern, NN, Lycett, Vardy, McKenzie and Schofield comprise a very capable group. Agreed they all won't play together, but there is depth.

Midfield - This is where I think you're underrated. Shuey, Gaff, Cripps and Yeo put a very good quartet together. I am not sure how Sheed, Redden, Rioli, Venables, Jetta, Hutchings and Karpany are tracking, but there are some players there that I really rate.

The question - Your interstate plan. You start improving that and I think you'll gain unstoppable momentum. I think the key to that is Sam Mitchell coaching alongside Simpson. I reckon he has the ability to assist in breaking down the mental barriers to getting on a plane and transferring your game.

Your finals record is good.
2012 = 5th
2013 = 13th
2014 = 9th
2015 = Grand Finalists
2016 = 6th
2017 = 8th

If Richmond can roll into a premiership off the back of finals in 13-15, I reckon your list is more than capable of going the extra mile or two this year.

I'd like to know your thoughts, I seriously think WC have the capability of doing it this year.

Good Morning,

Yes that's my thread title and where I think the Eagles could be headed this year. There won't be many people on the MB agreeing with me, but I feel that you have a list almost ready to explode if things can click. I'll give you my reasons.

KPP - Elite. JK, Darling, McGovern, NN, Lycett, Vardy, McKenzie and Schofield comprise a very capable group. Agreed they all won't play together, but there is depth.

Midfield - This is where I think you're underrated. Shuey, Gaff, Cripps and Yeo put a very good quartet together. I am not sure how Sheed, Redden, Rioli, Venables, Jetta, Hutchings and Karpany are tracking, but there are some players there that I really rate.

The question - Your interstate plan. You start improving that and I think you'll gain unstoppable momentum. I think the key to that is Sam Mitchell coaching alongside Simpson. I reckon he has the ability to assist in breaking down the mental barriers to getting on a plane and transferring your game.

Your finals record is good.
2012 = 5th
2013 = 13th
2014 = 9th
2015 = Grand Finalists
2016 = 6th
2017 = 8th

If Richmond can roll into a premiership off the back of finals in 13-15, I reckon your list is more than capable of going the extra mile or two this year.

I'd like to know your thoughts, I seriously think WC have the capability of doing it this year.
Cripps?

Lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your post.
I agree with your assessment in relation to our key position talent. Our key position quality and depth is as good, if not better, than any time in the club’s history IMO. Add to that a ruck division that could totally dominate the comp if they can get fit and we have plenty of pillars in place.

If we can get our midfield to take a few strides forward, we might be a chance. It’s not inconceivable that Yeo could become a marking, goal-kicking, hard-ball winning mid. That would make us substantially better straight away. If Sheed could be an inside warrior of Priddis’ type, but with better disposal and better speed, we’d also be much better for it. If Venables could add a second attacking option next to Shuey, that would help also. There’s heaps of things that could go our way, but so far, they’re all big “ifs”.

I can see where you are coming from, but we’ll need a lot of things to go our way.

Thanks for your post.
I agree with your assessment in relation to our key position talent. Our key position quality and depth is as good, if not better, than any time in the club’s history IMO. Add to that a ruck division that could totally dominate the comp if they can get fit and we have plenty of pillars in place.

If we can get our midfield to take a few strides forward, we might be a chance. It’s not inconceivable that Yeo could become a marking, goal-kicking, hard-ball winning mid. That would make us substantially better straight away. If Sheed could be an inside warrior of Priddis’ type, but with better disposal and better speed, we’d also be much better for it. If Venables could add a second attacking option next to Shuey, that would help also. There’s heaps of things that could go our way, but so far, they’re all big “ifs”.

I can see where you are coming from, but we’ll need a lot of things to go our way.
Yeah but given the gap between our best and worst, the OP is right in suggesting that the mental part of the game is what is holding us back, more so than just personnel.

Obviously it's the personnel who have the mental issues that cause such wild inconsistency, but it's not like we lack talent or ability.

The only real if in my opinion is whether the team can somehow find the same kind of unifying energy and drive that got WB and Richmond flags. I don't buy the argument that we don't have a Dusty or Bont and therefore can't replicate the feat.

We need more team first mentality and less egos expending half their energy appealing to umpires for frees etc.

There is a lot of potential in the team but it is incredibly difficult for interstate teams to win the premiership. You need to be much, much better than the victorian teams and good enough to beat any interstate teams in the finals.

The Eagles may go well this season, may get into the finals, maybe even top four.

If they do they'll be hoping the rest of the top 4 is gws, sydney, adelaide or port adelaide.

We need to finish top 2 to really give the premiership a shake. If we were dogs in 2016 we would have had 4 away finals in a row. Was hard for the dogs to do it from there, it would be nearly impossible for us.

Just can't see us getting top 2. So can't see us winning the premiership.

I think there are 8-10 clubs who could win the premiership this year if everything goes right for them. I think we are one of those teams, but the margin for error for us is small (A team like Adelaide can afford to have more go wrong and still contend compared to us).

An interesting snippet of another clubs opinion of us care of Dylan82
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-edition-part-2.1181682/page-39#post-53957920
  • They (Brisbane) seemed to be bemused by the way West Coast plays - as in we play a very aggressive game trying to outpoint our opponents across the ground through skill and execution. Their thoughts were considering the strength of our forwards and backs, but weakness in the middle, that we should be going a lot more defensive and bogging games up to remove opposition midfield advantage to allow our key talls at both ends to have greater influence on matches.
I think to me that says internally the club rates our midfield potential a lot higher than other clubs do. Our midfield dynamic will be very different this year and that's where our premiership hopes will be won or lost.

It's interesting that you've changed your opinion from your ladder prediction. What caused you to change your mind?

Man I'm weak and easy to convince when it comes to a positive eagles comment.

Could have 1 million people telling me we are going to be average this year and only 1 person needed to say hey we got not a bad team and will contend.
Straight away I'm like hang on I like what this one person is saying. I think we got not a bad team and will contend this year.

Screw the million people.

I think there are 8-10 clubs who could win the premiership this year if everything goes right for them. I think we are one of those teams, but the margin for error for us is small (A team like Adelaide can afford to have more go wrong and still contend compared to us).

An interesting snippet of another clubs opinion of us care of Dylan82
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-edition-part-2.1181682/page-39#post-53957920
  • They (Brisbane) seemed to be bemused by the way West Coast plays - as in we play a very aggressive game trying to outpoint our opponents across the ground through skill and execution. Their thoughts were considering the strength of our forwards and backs, but weakness in the middle, that we should be going a lot more defensive and bogging games up to remove opposition midfield advantage to allow our key talls at both ends to have greater influence on matches.
I think to me that says internally the club rates our midfield potential a lot higher than other clubs do. Our midfield dynamic will be very different this year and that's where our premiership hopes will be won or lost.

It's interesting that you've changed your opinion from your ladder prediction. What caused you to change your mind?
I changed my mind because I think your KPP are elite, you have NN coming back, KP depth, some very good midfielders and some youth that I saw show really positive signs a few years back.

You've got a proven finals record (in terms of being there) and the only thing I really see as a problem is winning on the road. Fix that and I think you're looking pretty good for top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back