Eddie Betts walks out of Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Callinan will be a casualty of the cuts coming up. Had an ordinary year and don't think he'll get a lifeline. Porplyzia has signed a one year contract and if he can hit something like his pre-injury form, the forward line should function much better with Eddie alongside him. Difficult to match up up on Walker, Lynch, Johnston, Betts and Porplyzia. I think Betts is the best possible option available to us to fill a role and therefore we had to pay the market price.

Ok, didn't see much of you guys last year, just remember Callinan from 2012 and he seemed a really solid player. Porps would essentially be a great pick up for you if he got back to his form a few years ago.

Carlton now (like Essendon) don't have a reliable source of goals. If Menzel becomes a 40-goal forward next year, then it would be massive for you, but I'd be surprised if it happened in 2014.

I suppose you're saying Yarran and Garlett will bridge the gap, but I'm more curious about the long-term forward plan.

HF: Gibbs Henderson Robinson
FF: Garlett Waite Menzel

Gibbs and Robinson can be exchanged for a bunch of other players and Waite will be retiring in the next couple of years.

Henderson, Garlett and Menzel is a very good base. If Watson can hold down CHB (which he showed some very good signs of this year before his foot injury) then Hendo can spend most of his time forward.

Tex will be stroking his mullet at the thought of Betts at his feet. #Mullet

Recent pictures of Taylor Walker can be seen here:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ude-and-progress/story-fni5f22o-1226713536256

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...-light-the-night/story-fni6uo1m-1226714323586

321438-65769356-146e-11e3-bc1f-ab63eb6008b8.jpg

536171-b3d63392-1696-11e3-af42-07bd3660d6b5.jpg

Gibbs and Robinson can be exchanged for a bunch of other players and Waite will be retiring in the next couple of years.

Henderson, Garlett and Menzel is a very good base. If Watson can hold down CHB (which he showed some very good signs of this year before his foot injury) then Hendo can spend most of his time forward.

Henderson looked good up forward for periods this year. But obviously (a) it's contingent on Watson (or others) securing the defence so Henderson is freed up, (b) Gibbs and Robinson aren't both going to be playing substantial periods of the game across half forward and (c) when Waite is injured/suspended/retired, who takes his place (or the other KPF's role if Menzel or Henderson take his)?

Thomas might be part of a solution to the HFF, and perhaps Casboult will improve.

Henderson looked good up forward for periods this year. But obviously (a) it's contingent on Watson (or others) securing the defence so Henderson is freed up, (b) Gibbs and Robinson aren't both going to be playing substantial periods of the game across half forward and (c) when Waite is injured/suspended/retired, who takes his place (or the other KPF's role if Menzel or Henderson take his)?

Thomas might be part of a solution to the HFF, and perhaps Casboult will improve.

Not many teams have static half forwards anymore. It's mostly rotating mids and the like. That's why I can't nail down Robinson and Gibbs as HFF starters. A lot rides on Watson making CHB his own in the coming seasons. Rowe and Casboult are possible replacements we have on the list currently for Waite (Hampson potentially too if he's not traded) and we're reportedly after a KPF this trade period.

Ok, didn't see much of you guys last year, just remember Callinan from 2012 and he seemed a really solid player. Porps would essentially be a great pick up for you if he got back to his form a few years ago.

Callinan is a pretty decent crumbing small forward. The only problem was nobody figured it out til he was 29. I have no doubt that if he had enough time in the AFL he would have been one of the leagues better small forwards. Bit of a waste.

Anyhow would be pretty happy to have Bett's. Our current crop of small forwards is terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Callinan is a pretty decent crumbing small forward. The only problem was nobody figured it out til he was 29. I have no doubt that if he had enough time in the AFL he would have been one of the leagues better small forwards. Bit of a waste.

Anyhow would be pretty happy to have Bett's. Our current crop of small forwards is terrible.

Agree. Was unlucky to play in an era where height and athleticism was rated more highly than class, skill and footy nouse.

You need to stop thinking about Waite an an essential cog for us. He's gone. Be it suspension, injury, or an early retirement/delisting, he's never there when we need him.

I'd like for us to just use him as a sub for the entirety of next year. Handy back or forward and can play well on the wing. and with only playing a half of footy thats half the time he normally has to get himself suspended. Perfect for the green vest :thumbsu:

Such a waste.. Amazingly gifted player drafted 10 years too late.

Had the pleasure of watching him for the Tas Devils in the Vfl (won the Liston in 2005) kicked some amazing goals and could play through the middle. Pretty sure he was All Australian u18 and not drafted and only got on the Crows list after some great footy in SA.

I hope he does not get cut, has worked so hard to get on an AFL list and never gave up! Unfortunately, with his age and run in 2013 it is a strong possibility.

Also, betts seems a bit over priced but if the Crows can get 40+ a year from him could be worth the punt

Also, betts seems a bit over priced but if the Crows can get 40+ a year from him could be worth the punt

You have to pay overs to land free agents in a buyers market, and you need to pay overs again to get one to the city of Adelaide, unfortunate fact of life. At $400k a year, he's a vast improvement on Jared Petrenko - and we'll be able to front load him up the wazoo this year because we front loaded everyone else last year to make use of the Tippett money, so he'll probably only be on $300k a year 2015-17, which won't dent future opportunities.

Can't sit on the cash and front load existing contracts forever, sooner or later player agents will have eaten it all up contract by bloody contract and you'll have nothing to show for it as a club.

Eddie Betts has always been a favourite of mine and I'm shattered to see him go. I think people undersell just how good a player he's been for the past 3 or 4 years (this year withstanding). To kick 48 and 50 goals is a massive effort. Not 500k good perhaps but not too far short.

I know he's left us but I can't be angry with him. A genuine best of luck to Betts at the Crows. He's not yet 27 and has already played 184 games at the highest level. He'd be a decent chance of getting to 300 games at this rate. An incredible achievement for a small forward picked up the PSD. :thumbsu:

I wasn't keen on the idea at first as I thought he was at least 35 years old.

At 27 he should still have 5 years in him. If you have followed the crows even in the slightest over the last decade you would know we have been crying out for this exact player. Definitely over paid but the club is filling a gaping need with a quality player.

I wasn't keen on the idea at first as I thought he was at least 35 years old.

At 27 he should still have 5 years in him. If you have followed the crows even in the slightest over the last decade you would know we have been crying out for this exact player. Definitely over paid but the club is filling a gaping need with a quality player.

Very durable player too. Probably play for quite a while yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie Betts walks out of Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back