Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to find they go hand in hand from middle-aged white men who don't want to see anyone treated with the respect that they get.

By the way, it's definitely turning into a story - it's not some random podcast and blogger making an issue out of it:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...roline-wilson-ice-pool-threat-20160619-gpmp1x

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...o/news-story/55c438a71968a96e381d14623c9612a9

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/ed1423901818c49d376a32ebf5af4d11

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ver-comments-about-afl-writer-caroline-wilson
A lot of people don't like Rita Panahi and would say similar things about her.

Are they sexist? Oh wait, they must be racists as well because of her ethnicity.

And get out of here with your 'she brings it on herself' or 'it's not sexist' comments.

The only thing she 'brings on' is the 'nerve' to be a woman and to consistently question and criticise the disgusting, sycophantic boys club that exists in Melbourne.

Whether it's members of the Footy Show, Triple M or the Hun, the fact that she doesn't bow down to the self-described 'elite' of the AFL infuriates them.

'How can she, a woman(!!), criticise me and my mates??!??!' - is the mentality of these men who clearly haven't experienced emotional maturity since high school and have lived and worked in a culture that allows for existence of this pervasive kind of sexism.

Last edited:

The bit where he promotes violence against women 2 days before the women's league announcement, and 5 days before the White Ribbon game, flog.
I've read this several times and there is not one thing sexist about this at all. You're just an attention seeker who is trying to make something out of nothing. "he's promotng violence against women" Rubbish. If he said this about Barrett would you be crying against violence against men? No. Flog thread.

That's the point though, and it's the one no one ever seems to get.

They wouldn't say this about Robbo because he's a sycophant who gets to be part of the boys club. Despite the fact that I'd say he's objectively much worse at his job than Wilson.

Whatever you think about Wilson, she's had to put up with an incredible amount of offensive things thrown her way, simply for doing a job that heaps of men do without the same abuse. Like, go back and watch the Footy Show thing again. It's like something out of the 70s, except it was 8 years ago and everyone involved is still happily employed, and one of them was involved in the topic of this thread.

And let's just ignore the fact that she's a woman for a second: to have club presidents gleefully talking about drowning a member of the AFL media (and yes I understand they don't actually want to drown her) isn't the best look and if I was Gilligan I'd be having a word to them.

Of course none of this would happen if the ridiculous conflict of interest that was club presidents being prominent members of the AFL media. The whole industry is a joke.
And Robbo and others like Damien Barrett don't get abused? Is it possible to think a woman could be a bad journalist without it being sexist or is bad journalism exclusive to men?

No, McGuire made it sexist for promoting violence against women.

The fact you don't see that says a lot more about you than it says about me.
So banter against men is fair game but against women nope? Equality means equal so if it's good enough for men it's also good enough for women.

It was borderline sexist until black widow, when it actually became sexist, but I don't think it's a terribly serious instance.

Brayshaw played State cricket for WA, in all likelihood he was the top sportsman at his school, which is Pembroke, a prestigious school in Adelaide's eastern suburbs..

The tweet was with regards to Brayshaw's media position, it was clearly not meant to be taken literally.

And get out of here with your 'she brings it on herself' or 'it's not sexist' comments.

The only thing she 'brings on' is the 'nerve' to be a woman and to consistently question and criticise the disgusting, sycophantic boys club that exists in Melbourne.

Whether it's members of the Footy Show, Triple M or the Hun, the fact that she doesn't bow down to the self-described 'elite' of the AFL infuriates them.

'How can she, a woman(!!), criticise me and my mates??!??!' - is the mentality of these men who clearly haven't haven't experienced emotional maturity since high school and have lived and worked in a culture that allows for existence of this pervasive kind of sexism.

She went to Melbourne Grammar and her dad was a powerbroker at Richmond. She's hardly an outsider to this "boys club", people from her background pull the strings of Melbourne society. She has loads of contacts from her privileged background and has used them to make a career. Hardly some brave crusader tearing down he system. She is the system whatever gender she is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So banter against men is fair game but against women nope? Equality means equal so if it's good enough for men it's also good enough for women.

Mate, banter is two commentators in the same box (or who regularly appear together) having a go at each other.

Like banter is Caro and Hutchy having a go at each other on Footy Classified.

Banter is not 5 men who seemingly genuinely hate a person, talking about holding their head underwater when they are not there.

'How can she, a woman(!!), criticise me and my mates??!??!' - is the mentality of these men who clearly haven't haven't experienced emotional maturity since high school and have lived and worked in a culture that allows for existence of this pervasive kind of sexism.
Where is the evidence these were sexist comments?? Where did he bring women into this? He made offensive comments at someone who happens to be female, that's not inherently sexist.

Brayshaw played State cricket for WA, in all likelihood he was the top sportsman at his school, which is Pembroke, a prestigious school in Adelaide's eastern suburbs..

Your point being?

Should I be impressed?

She went to Melbourne Grammar and her dad was a powerbroker at Richmond. She's hardly an outsider to this "boys club", people from her background pull the strings of Melbourne society. She has loads of contacts from her privileged background and has used them to make a career. Hardly some brave crusader tearing down he system. She is the system whatever gender she is.

Where is the evidence these were sexist comments?? Where did he bring women into this? He made offensive comments at someone who happens to be female, that's not inherently sexist.

Let's not act like women in footy exist in a vacuum. Footy is an industry that is dominated by males, whether it be in the media, coaching, management or AFL HQ.

When a woman (who is certainly privileged, I'll grant you that) comes in and pushes back against a culture of subtle (or overt: Footy Show) sexism, the reactions of these men to joke about holding her head underwater is sexism. No two ways about it.

Let's not act like women in footy exist in a vacuum. Footy is an industry that is dominated by males, whether it be in the media, coaching, management or AFL HQ.

When a woman (who is certainly privileged, I'll grant you that) comes in and pushes back against a culture of subtle (or overt: Footy Show) sexism, the reactions of these men to joke about holding her head underwater is sexism. No two ways about it.

Why does the fact she is a woman override the fact that she has a muck-raking journalistic style that creates a lot of enemies? Who chooses why they were making a joke about her? You? The Twitterati?

Serious question, Are there awards handed out to people who get the most outraged at middle aged white males?
Is that the same as the award for most uses of the word "outrage"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

Remove this Banner Ad

Back