Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

Remove this Banner Ad

Men are twice as likely to murder other men as they are to murder other women. Yes domestic violence is predominantly female victims but in general most victims of violence are men. Clearly misogyny and sexism are not the defining factor.
There's more than one type of violence, we can focus on more than one.

i know that. as i said, i dont get upset or smash keyboards over societal issues. just highlighting those who did and do
No, you were attempting to accuse people of hypocrisy by saying the things were similar. Only the crucial difference, namely that Mystique and Apocalypse aren't real, rendered your point utterly stupid.

Eddy advocated dumping a female into cold water and having a bunch of blokes hold her down until she "doesn't come up"

If people can't see the sexism and advocation of violence against women in that statement, then quite frankly their opinion does not matter.

You know what?

That's an awesome post. I don't need to reply to this thread any more - I might just keep quoting this.

The offended person/people - in this case women - have the right to decide whether they've been offended.

Men don't get to decide what's sexist towards women. That much is surely obvious?
Are all women offended by what Eddie said? If not, who decides which group of women is right?

No, you were attempting to accuse people of hypocrisy by saying the things were similar. Only the crucial difference, namely that Mystique and Apocalypse aren't real, rendered your point utterly stupid.

you're fighting the wrong person here.

I'm sure if Eddie said the same thing but with Robbo instead of Caro this would be all fine and a harmless joke?

Neale Daniher quipped on 360 that some people were disappointed that Robbo came up (from the icy water), proving that despite his affliction, he's still much cleverer and more subtle than Eddie

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it that a joke, however good/bad or whatever, about an inflammatory journalist who happens to be a woman taken to mean that the joke teller is "promoting violence against women." It is just so illogical and sums up the outrage Twitter culture we have these days.

She's an inflammatory journalist who would bring similar jokes onto herself regardless of gender. She doesn't represent "women". It is actually insulting to Caro to take offense on her behalf.

Last edited:
Its hard for me to post this, but if what the OP reports is true, then I am very disappointed. Caro's ability as a journo has nothing to do with this. Its Eddie joking about what he'd like to happen to her, would pay to have happen to her, which is implicitly violent. That is the problem.

You can trot out the usual platitudes: toughen up princess, you cant take a joke, no harm intended etc, etc. But if Eddie, who I admire for a range of other reasons, cant see the issue with what he has said, then he's a bigger dinosaur than even I recognise.

The blokey jokey 'boys own' culture of the AFL is in terminal decline, but its a slow death.

Men don't get to decide what's sexist towards women. That much is surely obvious?

You honestly don't see how that can be gamed? If a female holds a grudge against a male co-worker it's going to be pretty easy for her to get him fired. Seeing how any defense will be met with "You don't get to decide what is sexist towards women."

Not wanting to get into the sexist argument, but just on Eddie- it is weird. Much of the time he seems to be well spoken and knows all the right things to say, but in the Adam Goodes King Kong incident and now this he seems to start on this rambling string of sentences that doesn't stop and just seems a bit out of character in a way- I'm not sure if it just comes down to the environment he is in (ie people around him) or maybe he's under the influence of something (?). It is some bizarre behaviour for someone so used to being in the media.

I'm sure if Eddie said the same thing but with Robbo instead of Caro this would be all fine and a harmless joke?
That's the point though, and it's the one no one ever seems to get.

They wouldn't say this about Robbo because he's a sycophant who gets to be part of the boys club. Despite the fact that I'd say he's objectively much worse at his job than Wilson.

Whatever you think about Wilson, she's had to put up with an incredible amount of offensive things thrown her way, simply for doing a job that heaps of men do without the same abuse. Like, go back and watch the Footy Show thing again. It's like something out of the 70s, except it was 8 years ago and everyone involved is still happily employed, and one of them was involved in the topic of this thread.

And let's just ignore the fact that she's a woman for a second: to have club presidents gleefully talking about drowning a member of the AFL media (and yes I understand they don't actually want to drown her) isn't the best look and if I was Gilligan I'd be having a word to them.

Of course none of this would happen if the ridiculous conflict of interest that was club presidents being prominent members of the AFL media. The whole industry is a joke.

Not sure about sexism or whether there's anything to get overly outraged over, but .....2 club presidents and supposedly professional football commentators having an on air discussion about drowning someone and thinking that's ok , especially after some of the things that have gone on in in recent years? good lord! How ****ing stupid could you possibly be? Lucky they're part of the boys club.

Wow, nobbyiscool is the exact kind of Flog I can't stand in this world. Looking, searching for things to be offended over. Bet you think you're such a good person up on your noble high horse sipping inner city lattes with your designer beard, Coke bottle glasses and artsy uni education. Get stuffed flog

This is perfect as a parody of every Herald Sun article comments section ever.

That's the point though, and it's the one no one ever seems to get.

They wouldn't say this about Robbo because he's a sycophant who gets to be part of the boys club. Despite the fact that I'd say he's objectively much worse at his job than Wilson.

Whatever you think about Wilson, she's had to put up with an incredible amount of offensive things thrown her way, simply for doing a job that heaps of men do without the same abuse. Like, go back and watch the Footy Show thing again. It's like something out of the 70s, except it was 8 years ago and everyone involved is still happily employed, and one of them was involved in the topic of this thread.

And let's just ignore the fact that she's a woman for a second: to have club presidents gleefully talking about drowning a member of the AFL media (and yes I understand they don't actually want to drown her) isn't the best look and if I was Gilligan I'd be having a word to them.

Of course none of this would happen if the ridiculous conflict of interest that was club presidents being prominent members of the AFL media. The whole industry is a joke.

That's rubbish, they'd definitely do similar jokes about Barrett who is a similar journalist to Caro. It is the type of journalist both Caro and Barrett are that winds everyone up.

Hold on a second. I just read the transcript and I can see nothing at all remotely close to sexism.

Sure its terrible to say that about someone, but its not sexist.

Disliking a person doesn't make you sexist. What if he had said that about a man?

Yes, the Goodes thing was racist. This, however, is not sexist.

Not wanting to get into the sexist argument, but just on Eddie- it is weird. Much of the time he seems to be well spoken and knows all the right things to say, but in the Adam Goodes King Kong incident and now this he seems to start on this rambling string of sentences that doesn't stop and just seems a bit out of character in a way- I'm not sure if it just comes down to the environment he is in (ie people around him) or maybe he's under the influence of something (?). It is some bizarre behaviour for someone so used to being in the media.
Or maybe they're just his real thoughts and the more polished Eddie is the fake one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

Remove this Banner Ad

Back