EDFL Div 2 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great to Hadfield competitive against East Sunbury. The club was down & out over recent seasons but seems to have really done well. Is this in part due to the new coach from last year? Seems like his willing to do the hard yards.

Good on Haddy.. Great to see clubs like Haddy and Keilor Park going strong and I hope the league gets behind them..

Great to Hadfield competitive against East Sunbury. The club was down & out over recent seasons but seems to have really done well. Is this in part due to the new coach from last year? Seems like his willing to do the hard yards.

Good on Haddy.. Great to see clubs like Haddy and Keilor Park going strong and I hope the league gets behind them..

Great to see the hawks back and competitive, probably should of won on the weekend I here costly discipline issues early giving away 2 50meters to the goal square cost them in the end. The coach has done a great job with recruiting and I see are yet to unveil brad Murphy, would anyone know when he is available?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How is everyone going with the new 6,6,6 rule.
I'm all for bringing in/ trying new rules. Just feel the punishment is abit extreme. Giving a free kick in the goal square, asuring a goal. Surely a free kick in the middle is sufficient

Seems to be working even at the junior levels. Pretty simple rule to follow imo but agree the penalty is huge.

How is everyone going with the new 6,6,6 rule.
I'm all for bringing in/ trying new rules. Just feel the punishment is abit extreme. Giving a free kick in the goal square, asuring a goal. Surely a free kick in the middle is sufficient
I have no problem with the rule as such, but not at all a fan of the punishment. Let's be clear, this is not a Free Kick, it is a Free Goal. Yes it should be easy to prevent, but things happen in footy, and you don't want to have the outcome of a good game decided by officialdom. Lets also remember, that all Leagues are going with this rule (most anyway), but that the punishment is a free kick to the ruckman in the centre square. Why must the EDFL over officiate these rules. If it is good enough for the AFL, how do we believe that we know better?

Think about this from a Juniors perspective. An Under 11 makes this mistake in a Grand Final, simply through not having been coached correctly, by an unsuspecting Dad who has been appointed Coach. "Little Johnny" then makes the mistake, has a free called against him, and the Granny is won from the "Free Goal" given by a 15 year old umpire. Little Johnny then cops a barrage of shit comments from his young mates, and walks away from the game. The 15 year old umpire who has been forced to over officiate by the League, also cops an absolute gobful from 100 different "Supporters" and thinks, "This is too hard, I'm out" We lose a player and an umpire, before they have even really began their careers.

Again, the rule is fine, and I understand why the League have bought it in, however, the punishment is only ensuring more potential for abuse in an otherwise already raucous environment. The Umpires have it hard enough with the constant rule changes, and variations to interpretations. By adding more pressure in ensuring they award potentially game altering free goals, we are not only giving rise to further poor crowd behaviour, but helping to drive Umpires from our game.

But that's just my opinion.

I have no problem with the rule as such, but not at all a fan of the punishment. Let's be clear, this is not a Free Kick, it is a Free Goal. Yes it should be easy to prevent, but things happen in footy, and you don't want to have the outcome of a good game decided by officialdom. Lets also remember, that all Leagues are going with this rule (most anyway), but that the punishment is a free kick to the ruckman in the centre square. Why must the EDFL over officiate these rules. If it is good enough for the AFL, how do we believe that we know better?

Think about this from a Juniors perspective. An Under 11 makes this mistake in a Grand Final, simply through not having been coached correctly, by an unsuspecting Dad who has been appointed Coach. "Little Johnny" then makes the mistake, has a free called against him, and the Granny is won from the "Free Goal" given by a 15 year old umpire. Little Johnny then cops a barrage of **** comments from his young mates, and walks away from the game. The 15 year old umpire who has been forced to over officiate by the League, also cops an absolute gobful from 100 different "Supporters" and thinks, "This is too hard, I'm out" We lose a player and an umpire, before they have even really began their careers.

Again, the rule is fine, and I understand why the League have bought it in, however, the punishment is only ensuring more potential for abuse in an otherwise already raucous environment. The Umpires have it hard enough with the constant rule changes, and variations to interpretations. By adding more pressure in ensuring they award potentially game altering free goals, we are not only giving rise to further poor crowd behaviour, but helping to drive Umpires from our game.

Totally agree, this is why I bought it up and thought I'd get a feeling how others felt. I have no issues with rule or inforcing said rule. just in my opinion the penalty is to harsh and struggling to understand as to why we are the only league to inforce a harsher penalty

Think about this from a Juniors perspective. An Under 11 makes this mistake in a Grand Final, simply through not having been coached correctly, by an unsuspecting Dad who has been appointed Coach. "Little Johnny" then makes the mistake, has a free called against him, and the Granny is won from the "Free Goal" given by a 15 year old umpire. Little Johnny then cops a barrage of **** comments from his young mates, and walks away from the game. The 15 year old umpire who has been forced to over officiate by the League, also cops an absolute gobful from 100 different "Supporters" and thinks, "This is too hard, I'm out" We lose a player and an umpire, before they have even really began their careers.

Agree , good rule but should be a free kick in the centre

We had a "free goal" paid to our Under 11s on the weekend. The kids had no idea what it was for. The ump didn't even give a warning. Too much of a penalty for mine. We were happy to take the goal but at under 11s? Should come in from under 17s imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a "free goal" paid to our Under 11s on the weekend. The kids had no idea what it was for. The ump didn't even give a warning. Too much of a penalty for mine. We were happy to take the goal but at under 11s? Should come in from under 17s imo

Not ideal. The issue is with young umpires who don’t communicate or have full control which should be enforced early in the game. Yes all leagues have trouble getting umpires new or keeping the ones from previous years.
Imo this job is great for kids to keep fit and earn some extra $$ rather than have parents do it. However I think the problem lies with the clubs who cannot control or correctly punish the minority of idiots who are constantly yelling advice or abuse towards these young umpires. It’s often the idiot coaches, assistant coaches and now I see it being club runners and often boundary umpires..Yes some parent supporters are bad but I’m seeing it more with coaches, runners and quite often boundary umpires. It’s bloody disgusting what coaches try to do just to get 4 points. FFS let the umpires just umpire.,

Now I’m seeing a lot of verbal abuse between opposition kids as young as 9-10. Especially post game..

These same idiot officials who try and tell the umpire how to umpire are then hiding in the background post game instead of getting out to the players and teaching them to respect the game and not to carry on win, lose or draw. But some just encourage bad behaviour and poor sportsmanship.
And it’s happening far to often. Umpiring will improve if people support them, rather than these coward, weak minded individuals who are in it for the wrong reasons..Remember these umpires are young kids and human beings trying to help this sport.

What gives a parent more satisfaction than seeing their child play sport or just being active. Yes winning is great but it’s not the be all in life. Sitting back having a beer, coffee etc on a Sat or Sun and watching kids sport is awesome. Why do some idiots try and spoil the fun is beyond me.

Last edited:
Not ideal. The issue is with young umpires who don’t communicate or have full control which should be enforced early in the game. Yes all leagues have trouble getting umpires new or keeping the ones from previous years.
Imo this job is great for kids to keep fit and earn some extra $$ rather than have parents do it. However I think the problem lies with the clubs who cannot control or correctly punish the minority of idiots who are constantly yelling advice or abuse towards these young umpires. It’s often the idiot coaches, assistant coaches and now I see it being club runners and often boundary umpires..Yes some parent supporters are bad but I’m seeing it more with coaches, runners and quite often boundary umpires. It’s bloody disgusting what coaches try to do just to get 4 points. *** let the umpires just umpire.,

Now I’m seeing a lot of verbal abuse between opposition kids as young as 9-10. Especially post game..

These same idiot officials who try and tell the umpire how to umpire are then hiding in the background post game instead of getting out to the players and teaching them to respect the game and not to carry on win, lose or draw. But some just encourage bad behaviour and poor sportsmanship.
And it’s happening far to often. Umpiring will improve if people support them, rather than these coward, weak minded individuals who are in it for the wrong reasons..Remember these umpires are young kids and human beings trying to help this sport.

What gives a parent more satisfaction than seeing their child play sport or just being active. Yes winning is great but it’s not the be all in life. Sitting back having a beer, coffee etc on a Sat or Sun and watching kids sport is awesome. Why do some idiots try and spoil the fun is beyond me.

I agree that the Club and Coaches should be more proactive to ensure the poor spectator/player behavior is stamped out, but my point was, that by bringing in ridiculous rules, or at least ridiculous penalties, we are in fact making a rod for the Umpires backs. Allow them to officiate the game, and stop putting stupid amounts of pressure on them with ludicrous rule penalties. People can be just ar$eholes, and all the Club and Coach involvement in the World wont stop everything, so these types of penalties that are rarely understood by the peanut gallery, are only ever going to bring with it bewilderment, creating opportunity for poor behavior.

Imo this job is great for kids to keep fit and earn some extra $$ rather than have parents do it. However I think the problem lies with the clubs who cannot control or correctly punish the minority of idiots who are constantly yelling advice or abuse towards these young umpires. It’s often the idiot coaches, assistant coaches and now I see it being club runners and often boundary umpires..Yes some parent supporters are bad but I’m seeing it more with coaches, runners and quite often boundary umpires. It’s bloody disgusting what coaches try to do just to get 4 points. *** let the umpires just umpire.,

Over-officiating is what is killing our game. How about the kid from Saints on the weekend who was yellow carded for having tape on an ear ring? He gets handed a mandatory 1 week for this, yet we have blokes hitting people and getting the same. Yeah, seems right? I get it about insurance and duty of care, blah blah blah, but low an behold we have someone get caught in it, I'm pretty sure the only person who would get injured is the wearer. Again, other leagues taping a piercing is common place, but no, not here in the EDFL. Its pretty over the top, for something so minor. If the Umpire just goes to the kid and tells him to take it out, problem solved. Communication is a simple thing, and again, stops bad behaviour.

Over-officiating is what is killing our game. How about the kid from Saints on the weekend who was yellow carded for having tape on an ear ring? He gets handed a mandatory 1 week for this, yet we have blokes hitting people and getting the same. Yeah, seems right? I get it about insurance and duty of care, blah blah blah, but low an behold we have someone get caught in it, I'm pretty sure the only person who would get injured is the wearer. Again, other leagues taping a piercing is common place, but no, not here in the EDFL. Its pretty over the top, for something so minor. If the Umpire just goes to the kid and tells him to take it out, problem solved. Communication is a simple thing, and again, stops bad behaviour.

I understand your point unfortunately that is the rule and kids need to ensure ear rings are removed. Umpires don’t check boots, fingernails and ears anymore. Even more serious can be long fingernails and if that’s reported to an umpire and found to be true that’s worthy of 1 or even 2 weeks in my book.

Need to keep in mind there is more of a focus on these cosmetic things due to girls/women’s footy as well..

I see this as an umpire doing his job well, and I would rather this type of umpire than the quite shy ones..👍

how pissed off would Coburg D be after being beaten by Burnside again they just about wanted too lynch everybody team and coaches last year after their loss at home LOL

I understand your point unfortunately that is the rule and kids need to ensure ear rings are removed. Umpires don’t check boots, fingernails and ears anymore. Even more serious can be long fingernails and if that’s reported to an umpire and found to be true that’s worthy of 1 or even 2 weeks in my book.

Need to keep in mind there is more of a focus on these cosmetic things due to girls/women’s footy as well..

I see this as an umpire doing his job well, and I would rather this type of umpire than the quite shy ones..👍
Agree with u turbo. I help a women’s team last year and umpires said if players found with piercings in then they will get 1 match suspension. So the rules been in place a few years

If that's the rule then that is fine. Give them the week. But if that's the case, any strike deserves a minimum of 3.

Of the new rules, no runners is ridiculous. Its local footy. VFL has even kept runners. Beyond stupid.

If that's the rule then that is fine. Give them the week. But if that's the case, any strike deserves a minimum of 3.

Of the new rules, no runners is ridiculous. Its local footy. VFL has even kept runners. Beyond stupid.

Runners still allowed as per previous seasons. The EDFL didn’t implement this rule mate..

Nice article on the Saints "Hall of Fame"

Link

Northern Saints have unveiled an eye-catching Hall of Fame which could be the envy of their EDFL rivals.
The display at Charles Mutton Reserve was officially opened last month and features premiership photos, pennants and old jumpers while also recognising past officials, players and club founders.

Club president Joe Antonetti said some were moved to tears as they got their first look at an exhibit six months in the making.

“You don’t realise it can have that sort of effect when you do something,” Antonetti said.

“You just think, ‘This will be nice.’ To see it have that impact on people and see that many people come and thank me … was well worth the effort.”

Northern Saints were formed in 2007 after a merger between North Coburg Saints and Fawkner Park.

The Hall of Fame comprises six cabinets choc-full of memorabilia and pays tribute to all clubs connected to the Saints.

“I was told we’re probably the only club in the EDFL that has something like this,” Antonetti said.

“It was just about paying homage to our past, which probably hasn’t been done. There’s a lot of clubs who were involved in our merger that a lot of people probably didn’t even know about.

“It’s good to put it all on display so the young kids can see where our club started from.

“Our club being such a young club as Northern Saints, it’s important that we do embrace our past.

“I think with something like the Hall of Fame, I had a lot of people come up to me and say, ‘Thanks for giving us recognition.’ It’s a little thing we could do to make them feel a part of something they are a part of, but it was probably just not recognised.”

While more pieces continue to come in as awareness of the Hall of Fame grows, a value cannot be placed on some items.

“One of our favourite pieces was a handwritten scorecard from 1961 from a St Mark’s game,” Antonetti said.

“These are things that money can’t buy.”

He contested it at the tribunal on Tuesday night and is free to play this weekend :)

What a wank if this is what happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back