EDFL Premier Division 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many salty people here. Club success is multi faceted, not as simple as putting pen to paper. Bringing out positive attitudes, dedication, professionalism via training standards, variety, education, and creating a pleasant setting with good people who are willing to volunteer and create a family type environment are all what create a strong club which then translates to the football field. Doesn't matter how many juniors you cap or restrictions you place, the cream will always rise to the top

That I also strongly agree with.

Too many salty people here. Club success is multi faceted, not as simple as putting pen to paper. Bringing out positive attitudes, dedication, professionalism via training standards, variety, education, and creating a pleasant setting with good people who are willing to volunteer and create a family type environment are all what create a strong club which then translates to the football field. Doesn't matter how many juniors you cap or restrictions you place, the cream will always rise to the top

Agree that success of club is multi faceted and there are a lot of clubs with 150 junior players doing just what you mention. But when you have 500 junior (boys) coming to your club to start things off, with programs education etc etc, the 500 players will provide a different result to excellent programs etc with 150 players. Adjustments to current maximum team numbers from say 4 x U11, 4 x U13 etc. to 3 at each age group won't hurt the big club, help the smaller clubs and would be in the best interest al all clubs and the league. Nothing salty here my friend

Agree that success of club is multi faceted and there are a lot of clubs with 150 junior players doing just what you mention. But when you have 500 junior (boys) coming to your club to start things off, with programs education etc etc, the 500 players will provide a different result to excellent programs etc with 150 players. Adjustments to current maximum team numbers from say 4 x U11, 4 x U13 etc. to 3 at each age group won't hurt the big club, help the smaller clubs and would be in the best interest al all clubs and the league. Nothing salty here my friend
I know what you mean but at the end of the day that 500 doesn't fit into a senior 22, most are going to disperse into other teams anyway. And if the club has built itself to that point then imo they deserve to have first dibs on their 22.

I agree with your points it does need to be looked at and quickly. Take a look at the strength of the under 19 competitions not just in the edfl but across all leagues it is in a very sad state. The retention of the older teenagers 15 to 19 should be seen as a major priority to make sure we have enough numbers right across the divisions to have enough numbers for clubs to field u19 reserves and seniors.This has nothing to do with strong or weak clubs and everything to do with having viable competition's and path ways to play at higher standards.

I agree with your points it does need to be looked at and quickly. Take a look at the strength of the under 19 competitions not just in the edfl but across all leagues it is in a very sad state. The retention of the older teenagers 15 to 19 should be seen as a major priority to make sure we have enough numbers right across the divisions to have enough numbers for clubs to field u19 reserves and seniors.This has nothing to do with strong or weak clubs and everything to do with having viable competition's and path ways to play at higher standards.

It also has to do with young men starting to find out about parties, working and earning money on a weekend. Footy doesn't become the priority anymore. That's just what I've witnessed especially from the under 18s/19s age group.

I know what you mean but at the end of the day that 500 doesn't fit into a senior 22, most are going to disperse into other teams anyway. And if the club has built itself to that point then imo they deserve to have first dibs on their 22.

That's the problem here as if a player doesn't get opportunities and wants to move he is rated as 3 or 4 points which is not good for either player or the club. So all this conversation re capping junior numbers is partly due to the implementation of the points system which was rushed in without a lot of thought..
Lets also be honest here and facilities play a big part in things as well. If you have 2 adjoining grounds, clubrooms in a good spot and in good condition, etc etc.

Now that's constructive..... As you are an Essendon Supporter, what do you think about Essendon getting the No.1 draft pick last season? That's equalisation.
Edfl board mate. Nice try though. Clubs become good thru hard work, marby are a classic example. Want to play with the big boys, lift the clubs standards.

Edfl board mate. Nice try though. Clubs become good thru hard work, marby are a classic example. Want to play with the big boys, lift the clubs standards.
I'm sick of hearing all this crap about how Marby have become a stable club because of all this hard work.. Yes , they do have a great bunch of volunteers , but EVERY other club has that also. The difference is $$$ man threw in hundred's of thousands of $$$'s over 5-6 years that allowed them to buy a B Grade and 2 x A Grade flags which attracted people to the club(because let's face it, everyone loves a winner!!!). From that they were able to get people interested and get involved. So good on them for being able to create something from the years $$$ man bankrolled their success. Without GA , Marby would still be in B Grade and if anyone disputes that they are delusional ...

I'm sick of hearing all this crap about how Marby have become a stable club because of all this hard work.. Yes , they do have a great bunch of volunteers , but EVERY other club has that also. The difference is $$$ man threw in hundred's of thousands of $$$'s over 5-6 years that allowed them to buy a B Grade and 2 x A Grade flags which attracted people to the club(because let's face it, everyone loves a winner!!!). From that they were able to get people interested and get involved. So good on them for being able to create something from the years $$$ man bankrolled their success. Without GA , Marby would still be in B Grade and if anyone disputes that they are delusional ...
Think you may have missed a few years there sport. They have rebuilt the club thru juniors and good coaching. Long after the money man left.

Think you may have missed a few years there sport. They have rebuilt the club thru juniors and good coaching. Long after the money man left.

My point still stands , without GA's hundreds of thousands of $$$'s Marby would still be languishing in B Grade and wouldn't have had the support or opportunity to rebuild the club... So in the end it all comes back to $$$$'s

Not sure what EDFL Board reference or nice try means.

No Disrespect here but I don't believe that you have had much involvement in this area otherwise your agrument would be different or at least with more depth.
Lifting club standards??? Why is it that small clubs like EK, Roxy, Moonee Valley and Avondale can field an U19's team despite having one feeder team being their U17 team that is fed from their U15 team? Abers Keilor and Strathmore have generally always fielded one U19 or 18 team despite 7 teams at U15 and U17 level. Greenvale don't even have an U19 team. So small clubs are doing the hard work and big clubs are shredding 70% of the juniors who go there but don't go on. A lot of these shredded players don't transfer after being rejected by there club where they may have spent 6-8 years and are lost to footy. Some people look at this issue on the surface and mention programs, hard work, volunteers etc. but don't look at it in depth.

No Disrespect here but I don't believe that you have had much involvement in this area otherwise your agrument would be different or at least with more depth.
Lifting club standards??? Why is it that small clubs like EK, Roxy, Moonee Valley and Avondale can field an U19's team despite having one feeder team being their U17 team that is fed from their U15 team? Abers Keilor and Strathmore have generally always fielded one U19 or 18 team despite 7 teams at U15 and U17 level. Greenvale don't even have an U19 team. So small clubs are doing the hard work and big clubs are shredding 70% of the juniors who go there but don't go on. A lot of these shredded players don't transfer after being rejected by there club where they may have spent 6-8 years and are lost to footy. Some people look at this issue on the surface and mention programs, hard work, volunteers etc. but don't look at it in depth.
You used Essendon getting first pick as an example for equalisation. They finished last, so they get first pick. Youre right as in I'm not experienced in regards to shredded players, can't read thru those lines.

The bigger problem is the age group... they find other things to do. Boys get paid 200-300 to work overtime on a Saturday. Footy isn't their priority. So it's not just about who has heaps of juniors. I can see your point of those lost to footy as a result of nowhere to go, but why are there kids disappearing from the clubs in the 19s? Footy isn't their priority anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bigger problem is the age group... they find other things to do. Boys get paid 200-300 to work overtime on a Saturday. Footy isn't their priority. So it's not just about who has heaps of juniors. I can see your point of those lost to footy as a result of nowhere to go, but why are there kids disappearing from the clubs in the 19s? Footy isn't their priority anymore.
Very true, countless reasons this particular age stop footy. University is a major reason, travel, senior preseasons put allot off as well.

I suspect Abers & keilor would supply the bulk of kids playing at PEGS & StBernards.

That's the problem here as if a player doesn't get opportunities and wants to move he is rated as 3 or 4 points which is not good for either player or the club. So all this conversation re capping junior numbers is partly due to the implementation of the points system which was rushed in without a lot of thought..
Lets also be honest here and facilities play a big part in things as well. If you have 2 adjoining grounds, clubrooms in a good spot and in good condition, etc etc.

That's why if you cap the number of teams, these kids who play in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th team at a strong club would be playing at other clubs.

When they reach senior level they would be a 1 pointer, rather than moving when they finish U17 or U19 then become a 3 pointer.

Banging your head against the wall Turbo.

That's why if you cap the number of teams, these kids who play in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th team at a strong club would be playing at other clubs.

When they reach senior level they would be a 1 pointer, rather than moving when they finish U17 or U19 then become a 3 pointer.

Banging your head against the wall Turbo.

Doesn't mean all kids play on at senior level. Did you not read my previous post? No matter what club they are at, most clubs are seeing a decline in the 19s due to working, uni, focussing on year 12, private school footy, losing interest all together etc. Its a much bigger problem than just capping the junior teams. I don't think most understand that. Yes maybe capping might help a little but it isn't going to be enough to save teams who are seeing a decline with numbers filtering through.

Doesn't mean all kids play on at senior level. Did you not read my previous post? No matter what club they are at, most clubs are seeing a decline in the 19s due to working, uni, focussing on year 12, private school footy, losing interest all together etc. Its a much bigger problem than just capping the junior teams. I don't think most understand that. Yes maybe capping might help a little but it isn't going to be enough to save teams who are seeing a decline with numbers filtering through.

I've thrown it up loosely for a year or two now, if apprenticeship overtime, uni etc is influencing the attrition could the 19s be played occasionally on a Friday night, or say Saturday night after the senior game?

Guaranteed to get a few extra for a look, and might be the flexibility required to keep young blokes interested in their footy. I've been involved at country clubs where the A-grade netball has started at 4.30pm and the CrowdSupport atmosphere has been really encompassing and makes others outside the senior 22 feel part of it.

I've thrown it up loosely for a year or two now, if apprenticeship overtime, uni etc is influencing the attrition could the 19s be played occasionally on a Friday night, or say Saturday night after the senior game?

Guaranteed to get a few extra for a look, and might be the flexibility required to keep young blokes interested in their footy. I've been involved at country clubs where the A-grade netball has started at 4.30pm and the CrowdSupport atmosphere has been really encompassing and makes others outside the senior 22 feel part of it.

I like it. It's got merit to the idea.

Yep and possibly still kicking in some coin but no where near as much. He has a soft spot for Marby and the guys down there. He won't let them fall to far..

It's a different idea but most clubs don't have the lights to be able to play at night.

It's a different idea but most clubs don't have the lights to be able to play at night.
Who knows, could even get some of the big earners on the BBQ mingling with the common folk ha ha :D

All about "Club First"...

Doona it's a great idea.
Sat arvo
Reserves at 11
Seniors at 1:30
19s at 4

Problem is that clubs like Abers & Strathmore don't have sufficient lights to host night games so the league won't do it..I think it should be implemented as of next season.

Friday nights are out due to junior footy and women's footy.

Doona it's a great idea.
Sat arvo
Reserves at 11
Seniors at 1:30
19s at 4

Problem is that clubs like Abers & Strathmore don't have sufficient lights to host night games so the league won't do it..I think it should be implemented as of next season.

Friday nights are out due to junior footy and women's footy.

Like it too not sure 18+ boys will when they want to go out on the town?

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Premier Division 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back