Hillside
Keilor
Strathmore
Aberfeldie
Craigeburn
EDS
Greenvale
Westmeadows
As mentioned plenty of times on here will be an interesting year to see who is competitive, who can challenge Hillside and if EDFL keep the 8 team top division.

The lopsided nature of this year may cause some unexpected issues with teams as I hear that a few of the Comps stars may be thinking of playing 18's as it will be better for their development - rather than only playing competitive games every 2nd or 3rd week

it is a shame this age group is so lopsided. I feel for the 3 teams making up the numbers.

I know people have opinions MUST be a 8 team comp, but how would you like to be a kid playing in 100 - 200 point defeats.

Anyone know when fixtures will be on website?

With regards to the lopsided nature of the competition, I see Hillside, Abers and Keilor being the better teams but the other 5 will all have good hit outs against each other, with Strathmore and Craigieburn able to take it up to the 3 mentioned above. Some blowouts will occur but they won't be beaten like that every week. What's the alternative, have 15 team division 2 and just have the best 3 play a round robin every week. Dominate Teams will change as the years go by.

With regards to the lopsided nature of the competition, I see Hillside, Abers and Keilor being the better teams but the other 5 will all have good hit outs against each other, with Strathmore and Craigieburn able to take it up to the 3 mentioned above. Some blowouts will occur but they won't be beaten like that every week. What's the alternative, have 15 team division 2 and just have the best 3 play a round robin every week. Dominate Teams will change as the years go by.

fair point, I agree the bottom 3 should be competitive against Strathmore, Craigieburn.

I believe Div1 16's will start with this line up
Hillside
Keilor
Strathmore
Aberfeldie
Craigeburn
EDS
Greenvale
Westmeadows
As mentioned plenty of times on here will be an interesting year to see who is competitive, who can challenge Hillside and if EDFL keep the 8 team top division.

The lopsided nature of this year may cause some unexpected issues with teams as I hear that a few of the Comps stars may be thinking of playing 18's as it will be better for their development - rather than only playing competitive games every 2nd or 3rd week
Seems Bytel from Abers is playing 18s and Browning from Craigieburn is playing Seniors. Not sure that's going to be good for either team or player. Have to look at EDFL for allowing Hillside, Abers and Keilor strengthen to the detriment of other clubs.

Seems Bytel from Abers is playing 18s and Browning from Craigieburn is playing Seniors. Not sure that's going to be good for either team or player. Have to look at EDFL for allowing Hillside, Abers and Keilor strengthen to the detriment of other clubs.
Surely Craigieburn have enough seniors of quality to avoid having to play a 15/16 year old. First time that Hillside have secured quality kids rather than loose them to rival clubs like years gone by.

Surely Craigieburn have enough seniors of quality to avoid having to play a 15/16 year old. First time that Hillside have secured quality kids rather than loose them to rival clubs like years gone by.
I'm still not convinced Hillside will be as strong as lots of people are making out ( I think maybe Hillside people?) I know they have recruited a few boys from other leagues etc, but I think we should reserve judgement until we see just how these boys perform against some of the quality EDFL Div1 sides they will face?
Interesting that it's been said that Bytel might play 18s, I would have thought that if he was going to play out of his age group then he might play a few select senior games at Abers ,? Might be better for his longer term development?

I'm still not convinced Hillside will be as strong as lots of people are making out ( I think maybe Hillside people?) I know they have recruited a few boys from other leagues etc, but I think we should reserve judgement until we see just how these boys perform against some of the quality EDFL Div1 sides they will face?
Interesting that it's been said that Bytel might play 18s, I would have thought that if he was going to play out of his age group then he might play a few select senior games at Abers ,? Might be better for his longer term development?
That's 2 beauty's in a row!!! Bytel to play seniors is the best post we'll see this season.

I'm a flog yet your opinion is that a kid that turned 16 this month should play Premier Grade Seniors footy!!!!

Back to normailty please. Watched Cannons v Jets today then Eastern Ranges v Sandy Dragons. Plenty of quality in both games. Thought there was a big difference in structure and understanding roles in the team by Eastern who seemed to be best drilled out of the 4 i saw. Anyone else there with any thoughts?

I'm a flog yet your opinion is that a kid that turned 16 this month should play Premier Grade Seniors footy!!!!

Back to normailty please. Watched Cannons v Jets today then Eastern Ranges v Sandy Dragons. Plenty of quality in both games. Thought there was a big difference in structure and understanding roles in the team by Eastern who seemed to be best drilled out of the 4 i saw. Anyone else there with any thoughts?
The TAC website have the scores up - maybe eastern were best drilled but got pants pulled down by Sandy to the tune of 10 goals - also only had 10 scoring shots

Cannons beat Jets - only one EDFL boy in best - jets had a couple one of the Keilor boys plus two hillside - one being new from rdfl

They go again this Tuesday

Last weekend for practice matches for clubs - any edfl clubs playing each other in top division?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Hazik? Watched the games and he tore it up for jets

Any word on cannons boys?
A fair effort thus far from the Cannons I think 11 all up
Tye Browning Curtis Taylor Jack Bytel Mason Fletcher Lachlan Sholl, Rhylee West Nick Walsh Cooper Lamb Sam Graham Jake Firebrace Shane Skidmore

Yep, blind Freddie could see the bottom 3 would not be competitive.

They might need to go with 5 or 6 in Div 1

That would be a terrible shame. It didn't help that the potential bottom teams in Greenvale and Westmeadows played the two favorites in Abers and Hillside. Hopefully only the one is demoted after grading.

West Coburg would be ahead of EDS, Westmeadows and Greenvale for mine. They'll surely go up.

That would be a terrible shame. It didn't help that the potential bottom teams in Greenvale and Westmeadows played the two favorites in Abers and Hillside. Hopefully only the one is demoted after grading.

West Coburg would be ahead of EDS, Westmeadows and Greenvale for mine. They'll surely go up.
Agree I think they might be the ones to go up. Plus they have 2 teams, so have some backup.

Strathmore must have improved or did Keilor pay them no respect?
I spoke to a Keilor father who said that yes Strathmore looked like they have improved No 22 for Strathmore was prob their best player, he also thinks Keilor probably way underestimated Strathmore and took them to lightly
No 35 from Keilor was apparently their best player by far and the red headed boy no 5 wasn't bad.
I went and watched Abers v Westmadows, it's going to be a long year for Westmeadows if they stay up?
Nic Walsh and Jack Evans were sharp up forward, a pretty even effort across the board from Abers in a lopsided affair

No.22 for strathmore led the side over Keilor with his willpower to win the ball and the strathmore footy team look like a different side who are ready for the competition this season

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL U16 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back