Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Connor Mckenna seems to be an interesting prospect as a category B rookie - The wraps are big.
This will shut up a few from other clubs saying nobody wanted to go to EFC,
Toured the dogs and cats and the Pies, all wanted him,
He chose us...

Plus like me he is of Irish Heritage, we even share the same Surname...

Emma quayle said this about him sounds quite incredible

"AFL biography: Tough, powerful and explosive medium forward/midfielder from Tyrone in Ireland. His ability to step his way through traffic is exceptional as is the counter attack he provides through the midfield. Shows excellent marking ability overhead and genuine football smarts when the ball is on the ground. His kicking has very good penetration and he looks a very likely International prospect."

I'm gonna call him Son...LOL

If we can top up with Cockatoo, Mckenzie, Giles and Memberey and Garlett then rookie list Longy I'd be quite happy with my christmas presents this year...

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...m-forwards-20141002-10pa6w.html#ixzz3FBMYN9YB

From the Vic combine:

Tagliabue: 12.8 beep test, 3.11s 20m sprint
Coghlan: 14.8 beep test, 3.10s 20m sprint

Kyle Martin also won the Pies' VFL B&F. Surely gets upgraded for next year, especially with Beams gone.

Martin is going back to Suburban footy - The exodus continues.

Grimley - Membrey - Garlett should all be targets for us They would help fill some gaps on our list. Lowden Maybe but I think I would rather Grimley. Garlett is worth another chance especially with our fast game play and big fellas up forward. Membrey could be our new Crameri along with ambrose gives us 2 targets that can push up around the wings for targets coming out of defense. Daniher plays as the second ruck and carlile inside 50 with garlett could be very very handy.

Garlett is weak and pathetic - dont want. Grimley is a mediocre ruckman - rookie pick value.

Membrey is tough, hard at it medium forward who would fit in extremely well. He's a player we should target for a trade.

I wonder if they will lose as much talent as the Swans did when they got Buddy..........
Are you referring to making cap space?

Hawthorn haven't "replaced" the coin that Buddy was on; they would've re-negotiated contracts to allow them to go after someone like Frawley.

Not really a great comparison.

Are you referring to making cap space?

Hawthorn haven't "replaced" the coin that Buddy was on; they would've re-negotiated contracts to allow them to go after someone like Frawley.

Not really a great comparison.

Somewhat. It was partly a troll but I'm increasingly of the view that the current problem with Free Agency/Player movement is in part a salary cap thing, not solely a COLA thing, but rather perhaps the amount of flexibility teams have with the cap, in terms of, as you mention, re-negotiation of contracts to suit the cap, and back-ended contracts and probably more stuff. In almost every other league with FA/player movement/a salary cap, a crucial group of players are the ones forced out of their current clubs for salary cap reasons: they want a better deal and the team can't afford that, or the team simply wants to get a better player and that means some players get forced out and other teams get them. (and ideally, it's a case of the big good team losing the player and a crappy team picking the player up. For example, just today in the NHL, two of the best teams in the NHL for the past few years in Boston and Chicago were, a week out from the season, still not compliant with the salary cap. The result? Each team had to trade a pretty good defender. And the New York Islanders, a team that has sucked for so long but is building towards good things picked them up)

That's not happening here in the AFL. Ironically, the only time it really happened was the Buddy thing, which pushed Mumford to GWS, and then some minor players like Lamb, White etc moved as well. It seems like players simply don't get forced out over wages in this competition, and the way Hawthorn and NM have been able to continually add players without, as far as I can tell, losing much re-affirms this (yes yes hawks lost buddy, but they were adding nice things in the buddy era too). The big teams are able to add the good players from small teams because the cap isn't preventing them. And the cap should be preventing them. So why isn't it? This is a rather obvious thought, but it kinda needs to be discussed (although i don't think fans are in a good position to argue this, given we're in the dark)

this isnt a fully developed theory. ive really only started thinking about it in the past weeks btw.

Goddard was largely a wage-driven thing. St Kilda went the Geelong model of roughly equal pay but realised they didn't have many good players so they suddenly found themselves in a situation where genuine shit trucks like Gilbert were on massive contracts. Rather than breaking lots of new contracts, they let one big one go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a big difference between a rookie contract and a primary list AFL contract. If a club were to offer Martin a primary list AFL contract I'm sure he'd continue.
It's been noted on the Collingwood board that he was due for an upgrade to the primary list.
This way he gets decent spending money and can continue his trade without living in the fishbowl known as the AFL.

That said I've seen a 2nd division player in the south east get offered $800 a game plus travelling money cash in hand

It's been noted on the Collingwood board that he was due for an upgrade to the primary list.
This way he gets decent spending money and can continue his trade without living in the fishbowl known as the AFL.

That said I've seen a 2nd division player in the south east get offered $800 a game plus travelling money cash in hand

Marigliani was a good example - he walked away from a $100k job he had while playing at Frankston to accept $50k to become a full time AFL rookie at EFC. You can work full time and play VFL but with the training required at AFL level it is not possible to work full time even as a rookie and thus some guys actually lose out financially in order to have a crack at AFL.

I've been pretty quiet on the Jeff Garlett front, but I have to say I really hope we don't pick him up. Always thought he was pretty underwhelming and was prone to cocking up a significant portion of his simpler opportunities for goal.

Love the sound of Cockatoo and wouldn't have a problem spending pick 19 on him, especially if we end up with pick 16 too. I think with the additions of Gleeson, the Merretts, Fantasia, Mckenna, and potentially Longy we might see ourselves looking a fair bit quicker either next year or the year after. Hopefully they can come on sooner than later.

Hope it's ok to post here. Just wondering what you think Howlett's worth in a trade? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back