Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
See the way I see it, we're doing our absolute best to ensure you guys are well compensated for losing Paddy, or at least as well compensated as we can do without harming our own list too badly. But you guys still carry on like we're screwing you?

Getting picks 17 and 21 for losing Paddy and a player surplus to needs for you guys is the absolute best you will get from us. Can someone explain what's wrong with it?
Because your club isn't paying 17 and 21.. your club is paying 17.. for two quality players... one exceptionally high quality.

Look it will be done.. you guys will benefit (and to think I was barracking for you on prelim final day) but you are getting an absolute steal.. highway robbery. However ALL rational people hope that these 'circumstances' never exist ever again.. for any club... so probably best to get it done and move on with life.

Because your club isn't paying 17 and 21.. your club is paying 17.. for two quality players... one exceptionally high quality.

Look it will be done.. you guys will benefit (and to think I was barracking for you on prelim final day) but you are getting an absolute steal.. highway robbery. However ALL rational people hope that these 'circumstances' never exist ever again.. for any club... so probably best to get it done and move on with life.
Yeah we're definitely winning out of this, but you guys aren't exactly going empty handed. It's the best of a bad situation for you guys imo.

Yeah we're definitely winning out of this, but you guys aren't exactly going empty handed. It's the best of a bad situation for you guys imo.
It may well be the best we're going to get. It's still not as much as many think he's worth, and more importantly, it would be nice to get it done without underhanded AFL f*ckery being involved.

The point being.. that your club shouldn't be able to profit at the expense of all the other clubs.. that is why we have a salary cap/draft equalisation system..

If players are going to be allowed to exit via a 'clause'.. then perhaps.. given the extraordinary circumstances.. perhaps the AFL should meet with the entire EFC list that was there in 2012 (anyone after this time has no 'rights' under the clause anyway).. then you can exlude anyone who signed a NEW contract since this story 'broke'.. ie, when they signed.. they knew full well what they were signing on for. Legally they have zero chance of a 'get out clause'...

So out of the players who were at the club and who have not signed a contract since, say March of 2013... the AFL should then offer them a chance to 'speak now or forever hold your peace'. Any players that want to leave.. should be free to leave.

The AFL would then interview that player (and their manager) and determine if they are a Band 1 -3 player, based on age, B+F finish.. current contract etc..

Then the AFL could do something like what they did for the 'Recruit' TV show.. Clubs get told what salary and contract length the Player is looking for and what 'Band' he is. Clubs who are interested in the player with those conditions 'press the light' (figuratively speaking.. this would all be done behind closed doors).. then the player gets to choose which club he goes to. The club who is 'chosen' by the player must surrender the pick in the round of his 'band' (so a band 1 player.. you give up your first rounder) etc etc.. The AFL then 'matches' this pick with an end of round FA compo pick.

Then after we go through that process.. that is the end of the 'clause' discussions.. every club gets a chance to 'poach' the players.. the compo is fair and we can all move on.

Of course we won't do any of that.. but it would have been a fairer system.

That's ok though.. Port look like they are going to do well for a few years.. and then everyone will come poaching for your players.. who will leave for more money etc etc.. and you won't get fair compo.. and you will be sad.

See the way I see it, we're doing our absolute best to ensure you guys are well compensated for losing Paddy, or at least as well compensated as we can do without harming our own list too badly. But you guys still carry on like we're screwing you?

Getting picks 17 and 21 for losing Paddy and a player surplus to needs for you guys is the absolute best you will get from us. Can someone explain what's wrong with it?
If you get another good player from the trade for pick 17 you'll definitely be screwing us. If you get Leroy Jetta I'll be more or less okay with it. I am hoping another player gets thrown in though.

The point being.. that your club shouldn't be able to profit at the expense of all the other clubs.. that is why we have a salary cap/draft equalisation system..

If players are going to be allowed to exit via a 'clause'.. then perhaps.. given the extraordinary circumstances.. perhaps the AFL should meet with the entire EFC list that was there in 2012 (anyone after this time has no 'rights' under the clause anyway).. then you can exlude anyone who signed a NEW contract since this story 'broke'.. ie, when they signed.. they knew full well what they were signing on for. Legally they have zero chance of a 'get out clause'...

So out of the players who were at the club and who have not signed a contract since, say March of 2013... the AFL should then offer them a chance to 'speak now or forever hold your peace'. Any players that want to leave.. should be free to leave.

The AFL would then interview that player (and their manager) and determine if they are a Band 1 -3 player, based on age, B+F finish.. current contract etc..

Then the AFL could do something like what they did for the 'Recruit' TV show.. Clubs get told what salary and contract length the Player is looking for and what 'Band' he is. Clubs who are interested in the player with those conditions 'press the light' (figuratively speaking.. this would all be done behind closed doors).. then the player gets to choose which club he goes to. The club who is 'chosen' by the player must surrender the pick in the round of his 'band' (so a band 1 player.. you give up your first rounder) etc etc.. The AFL then 'matches' this pick with an end of round FA compo pick.

Then after we go through that process.. that is the end of the 'clause' discussions.. every club gets a chance to 'poach' the players.. the compo is fair and we can all move on.

Of course we won't do any of that.. but it would have been a fairer system.

That's ok though.. Port look like they are going to do well for a few years.. and then everyone will come poaching for your players.. who will leave for more money etc etc.. and you won't get fair compo.. and you will be sad.
Not sure what you're trying to say? It's not fair because we both win out of this?

If you get another good player from the trade for pick 17 you'll definitely be screwing us. If you get Leroy Jetta I'll be more or less okay with it. I am hoping another player gets thrown in though.
That is why I think they should give up their 2nd round pick as well.. maybe 3rd at worst

So they are giving up 17 for Ryder which is slightly 'under'.. and paying 2nd round for Kav.. which is 'over'.. thus making it fair overall.

Not sure what you're trying to say? It's not fair because we both win out of this?
I just don't like the thought of draft tampering. And make no mistake.. that is what this deal would be.

Legalised draft tampering... brilliant.

Using the free agency rule is no worse than what Hawthorn paid for Frawley OR WHAT WE PAID FOR GODDARD. It is not Ports fault, the unfair part is the AFL rule.

Be angry at the AFL, not Port.
Importantly, it also free's up cash for Dangerfield next year. Don't know about you but if I was an opposition team coming up against a midfield of Watson, Heppell, Dangerfield, Goddard, etc. I'd be pretty intimidated.

Still grappling with the morals of this one..

So a player is getting out because of 'governance' issues.. by circumventing and manipulating (with AFL endorsement) the Free Agency rules..

Something doesn't feel right... back to feeling like the AFL has become the WWE.. just one big 'reality scripted' sports entertainment show.

We have a draft system to promote equality.. but now we have ways to manipulate that system for individual gain to selected clubs. Just struggling to see how that is right.. or fair.

Sam Grimley seeking more opportunities after falling down the order at Hawthorn.

Kicked a couple of bags in the VFL, finished with 45 goals for the year.

23 years old, 200cm

Thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're not doing your best, you've quite literally crossed your legs and sat down on the floor like a 4 year old in a supermarket and said 'you're not getting anyone', which is absolutely fine, but don't expect us to be at all friendly in return.

17 and 21 is not that good a deal for us, but unfortunately it's not looking like it's getting any better. If it was 13 and 17 for Ryder and Hardingham I'd personally pack Ryder's bags and boot the big boofhead over the border.

Ive missed today. So are we getting pick 17 from port for ryder and Kavanagh or Hardingham and 1st band FA frim the AFL giving us pick 21 also.

I think thats pretty good. This draft is really strong in that firs 20-25 group we could get 3 stars in a draft sanction year.

Reminds me of collingwood 2012. Grundy, Kennedy and Broomhead would be great

Ive missed today. So are we getting pick 17 from port for ryder and Kavanagh or Hardingham and 1st band FA frim the AFL giving us pick 21 also.

I think thats pretty good. This draft is really strong in that firs 20-25 group we could get 3 stars in a draft sanction year.

Reminds me of collingwood 2012. Grundy, Kennedy and Broomhead would be great
If they can make it work it does seem good, albeit dodgy.

I would be pushing AFL hard to make the FA compo pick be #13.. not #20

But yeah.. this draft appears pretty even from spots 4-25 before it drops away.. so 3 picks in that group COULD land us some handy players.. 3 Z Merrett types would be lovely!!

The secondary part is making sure TBell is right to go as the main man.. if he can get back to 2013.. we could come out ahead in this trade by a long way...

If they can make it work it does seem good, albeit dodgy.

I would be pushing AFL hard to make the FA compo pick be #13.. not #20

But yeah.. this draft appears pretty even from spots 4-25 before it drops away.. so 3 picks in that group COULD land us some handy players.. 3 Z Merrett types would be lovely!!

The secondary part is making sure TBell is right to go as the main man.. if he can get back to 2013.. we could come out ahead in this trade by a long way...
Im a real fan of TBC as most would know. However we would not only need depth to back him up but quality depth.

Would I be confident in Gorringe rucking for us if TBC went down? Certainly Not.

Would I be confident in Giles as backup behind TBC? Yes I wouldnt even be surprised if he got games ahead of TBC, if TBC is off or not close to his better footy.

Giles isnt gonna cost much. Hes going into his 3rd club leaving because hes already not seen as best 22 or not enough game time at one of the worst 2014 clubs. Hes also getting on in age and seems happy to move anywhere where he can get a game which is ideal for us.

The only problem I have with him is I dont think TBC, Giles, Daniher, Carlisle could ever play in the same front half team together.

Giles isnt gonna cost much. Hes going into his 3rd club leaving because hes already not seen as best 22 or not enough game time at one of the worst 2014 clubs. Hes also getting on in age and seems happy to move anywhere where he can get a game which is ideal for us.

The only problem I have with him is I dont think TBC, Giles, Daniher, Carlisle could ever play in the same front half team together.

Agreed Giles cost isn't the issue it's selling the club to him because he'd just be another reserve ruckman with us. Someone like Geelong can offer him a fair crack at the number 1 ruck spot.

Agreed Giles cost isn't the issue it's selling the club to him because he'd just be another reserve ruckman with us. Someone like Geelong can offer him a fair crack at the number 1 ruck spot.
Im not sure about that. Is Mcintosh/Simpson or even Blicavs now any easier to surpass than TBC? ie: If Mcintosh gets injured he has Simpson and Blicavs to compete with to get a game, however if TBC goes down or cant get near his better footy than hes gonna play every week. The same cant be guaranteed at Geelong and i hope we are saying that too him.

We need to get Giles and potentially a good ruck with our top 20 if ones available (Similar to what Collingwood did with Grundy). Id also target Brodie Foster aswell as a late rookie pick.

I think its selling the club with the issue cant see many players being keen to come to us as its understandable which is why we havnt got Garlett, Membrey ect Although both have gone to clubs where their is much greater opportunity.

Id still like us to chase Varoce. Interesting since i brought him up a while ago he has been a main figure of the trade period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back