Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brenton Payne (grandson of Essendon premiership player Charlie Payne) playing pretty well against WA. Third tall and could well be around late given he's not even mentioned in the BF mock drafts. Of course, I'm only basing this on three quarters against pretty poor opposition.

Yeah Laverde looked good but I think we're well stocked for flankers. Would prefer to draft inside midfielders and/or tall forwards.

If we can get Connor Blakely with our first pick I'd be pleased.

Our priorities have to be an explosive (inside) midfielder and a KPF with the order depending on the characteristics of the players available.

I'm not interested in "best available" as much as recruiting guys who will compliment the side by addressing weaknesses:

- KPF: really only want someone who can get around the ground (e.g. Sam Day or Tomlinson type, with height above 193cm being irrelevant) who could compliment Ambrose and enable Danhier to play closer to goal as opposed to a Carlisle clone (i.e. someone who is all class but more of a lumberer); and

- midfielder: an inside midfielder with the size, strength/power and speed to break through stoppages.

I am not talking about recruiting athletes who can't play, before anyone jumps to an extreme. Simply think that our best side rarely plays our best footy because it is unbalanced tending towards clumps of similar players who just don't cover enough ground quickly enough.

I look at our talls, for example, and we are loaded with slower larger guys who are really good overhead but not great at covering the ground. Where would you fit another Carlisle or Hooker in in the next 6-8 years? I would much rather recruit rawer more athletic players and teach them the rest.

Last edited:
Yeah Laverde looked good but I think we're well stocked for flankers. Would prefer to draft inside midfielders and/or tall forwards.

Haven't watched anything this year, but what stood out to me was his movement around congestion and calmness under pressure. Had a ripper clearance at the start of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if someone jumped early at him with the intention of developing an inside/outside mid (got a bit of a Macrae vibe). Great attributes in pace and size as well.

Last edited:
Caleb Daniel at pick 18 PLEASE!
GC have activated their mid first round combo so it's 19. Plus, Chris25 doesn't even have him in the first 3 rounds, neither does Knightmare. So he may well be available at our 3rd round pick

Our priorities havr to be an explosive (inside) midfielder and a KPF with the order depending on the characteristics of the players available.

I'm not interested in "best available" as much as recruiting guys who will compliment the side by addressing weaknesses:

- KPF: really only want someone who can get around the ground (e.g. Sam Day or Tomlinson type, with height above 193cm being irrelevant) who could compliment Ambrose and enable Danhier to play closer to goal as opposed to a Carlisle clone (i.e. someone who is all class but more of a lumberer); and

- midfielder: an inside midfielder with the size, strength/power and speed to break through stoppages.

I am not talking about recruiting athletes who can't play, before anyone jumps to an extreme. Simply think that our best side rarely plays our best footy because it is unbalanced tending towards clumps of similar players who just don't cover the enough ground quickly enough.

I look at our talls, for example, and we are loaded with slower larger guys who are really good overhead but not great at covering the ground. Where would you fit another Carlisle or Hooker in in the next 6-8 years? I would much rather recruit rawer more athletic players and teach them the rest.
I'm relatively uninformed having only watched two U18 matches and read a bunch of reports, but I think the two players I've brought up fit the profile. However I'm especially uncertain of Payne given I'd heard nothing of him before today (which also means he could be around for our third round pick), but he's 193cm, skinny, managed 3 goals and ~15 disposals today. Good overhead mark, very mobile, good set shot. Blakely's a tough inside midfielder who's great at winning contested ball, has sound disposal, and tackles well (comparisons include Ward, Parker, D. Beams) - pace hasn't been a major characteristic attributed to him but he looked pretty explosive to me today. Projected to go around our pick.

GC have activated their mid first round combo so it's 19. Plus, Chris25 doesn't even have him in the first 3 rounds, neither does Knightmare. So he may well be available at our 3rd round pick

BOG today surely he is more than a 3rd

Is Rose (22 SA) eligible for this draft? Havent seen his name mentioned in the phantoms. Mobile forward, tidy skills a different type to what we have.

he is. wouldn't mind him actually, going on three viewings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep harping on it but there's two Swans who seem unable to get into the senior side Membrey (who as I'm sure most of you know has been averaging around 3-4 goals a game in the NEAFL) and Tom Mitchell (who in his 4 NEAFL games so far this year has averaged close to 38 disposals a game, and 1.5 goals per game). Dunno what we'd have to give up to get them I'd think Membrey would be a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and Mitchell would be a 1st rounder).
Another option for a KPF would have to be Kersten from the Cats, who I believe is out of contract at the end of the season (so hopefully the club are getting in his ear), again I don't know what we'd have to give up to get Kersten maybe a 2nd rounder?

Our priorities havr to be an explosive (inside) midfielder and a KPF with the order depending on the characteristics of the players available.

I am not talking about recruiting athletes who can't play, before anyone jumps to an extreme. Simply think that our best side rarely plays our best footy because it is unbalanced tending towards clumps of similar players who just don't cover the enough ground quickly enough.

Dustin Martin explosive: Christian Petracca. Nickname 'Quadzilla' should say it all. Absolute bull and can push forward and be a legitimate marking threat. Not slow, but you wouldn't say he had elite pace either, has explosive power, rather than the break away speed of say patty dangerfield.

Unfortunately he's about it for guys who play inside and are physically explosive, but there are others like Blakely, Manyard or Bampton who are very competent inside ball winners, even if they lack a yard of pace. Unless we go for a littler bloke like Clem Smith who is as quick as you'll see but apparently is a bit dodgy and inconsistent by foot.

Thing that gets me excited about this draft is the bucketload of 187cm+ type running players in the Jack Macrae/Marcus Bontempelli/Dyson Heppell mould. De Goey is getting a lot of hype, as is Laverde, Nelson is a really smooth moving run and carry type, and then there's the others that are flying slightly under the radar like Menadue, Vickers-Willis, Hayes (more a marking forward than a mid tbh) and Maher flying under the radar. These kids have enormous potential, especially Laverde and De Goey as mentioned above, because they've got that spatial awareness in traffic that recruiters fawn over for very good reason.

Early doors, but i'd be hoping for one of Petracca (pipe dream?), Kietel (KPF), De Goey, Laverde, Nelson, Lachie Weller or Connor Blakely

So what! Dion Prestia aint much bigger..I hear he goes okay..

Dion Prestia is a full 9 cms taller than Daniel.

He's 5cms shorter than Boomer Harvey ffs

So what! Dion Prestia aint much bigger..I hear he goes okay..
Prestia is 3 inches taller. He he would be close he would be just about the smallest player in the afl

if we're looking at absolute flea's then Jake Johansen is the one to go for, he's probably a touch shorter than Colyer and has been pretty exceptional for SA all through the champs, not just for one game.

However, as the old adage says, you can't teach size, and with Dell'Olio, Colyer, Chapman, Fantasia and Zach Merrett all under 180cms, we're not in the position to add another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back