Status
Not open for further replies.

Squizz89

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well we made it, and after starting 2-5 that certainly didn’t look likely at the time.

Certainly not going in with as much confidence as a month ago, but hopefully we can make it past at least week 1. Whilst we hoped for more, teams carrying 5 players with ACLs and a 2-5 start aren’t meant to be competing deep in finals, so I’d take a win or two on the way out if we can’t win it all.

As for the first game, hopefully Payne plays next week and makes it through unscathed. It’s unlikely but **** how much we’d give to get him back to some resemblance of the form he showed early last year. Lester has been a bit down second half of the year and actually wouldn’t mind seeing how Joyce goes playing on a third tall with Harris and Payne, but Lester has more credits in the back which is fair enough.

Starce is a no brainer and also possibly Bruce. I’m keeping Noah in with Starce. This team needs the extra lockdown defender more than the extra attack minded player in McKenna imo.

Hipwood seems to be struggling, but I think if we can get him out there somehow for as many games as we have left we just have to run with it. Joe plays better when he’s there, even if he isn’t getting much of it. It sucks he picked up the injury late in the season though.

Ins: Starce, Payne, Bruce
Out: McKenna, Joyce, Harry (Fletcher back to sub)

I think our fade (or Fages outs) are simple to explain, We are down in defensive personal, Put a fit Adams, Payne and Gardiner in the team allied with Kiddy and we would be able to resist when the flow of play is going against us.

Simply. we don't have the cattle.

I think our fade (or Fages outs) are simple to explain, We are down in defensive personal, Put a fit Adams, Payne and Gardiner in the team allied with Kiddy and we would be able to resist when the flow of play is going against us.

Simply. we don't have the cattle.

Yep.

He tries but we're half a player down with Joyce back there (can't remember who took the mark on him last night, but Harris gave him a "FFS" push in the back after the contest). I don't mind him, but another quarter of a player down with Answerth instead of Starcevich.

Goal kicking and arresting momentum when teams get a run on are the two areas of obvious concern. Goal kicking is mental, the run on one is structural.

A couple of goals from the square would be nice to start with. That first set shot will be pressure laden otherwise.

To me, our finals chances hinge on being able to get things back on our terms when the opposition get their tails up and limit red time goals. Sadly, that’s not something we have been able to address all year despite it being an issue for a while.

Hoping we are able to let the pain of last year fuel us, get Payne and Starc back, and commit to four weeks of hard, disciplined football.

What the last few weeks have shown is that we are mentally fatigued after the extremely poor start to the year and the fight back to get us into a position to attack finals.

With our poor Gabba record this year it has also forced us to play a lot better away from home so I am not scared of having to travel in Finals.
3 weeks in a row of travel may be difficult but it is doable especially with the last week being a Grand Final and motivation enough.

Some mental Demons to sort through over the next couple of weeks, a freshen up would do the world of good.

What side of the draw are we on? If we get through week 1 do we play the loser of 1v4 or 2v3?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the last few weeks have shown is that we are mentally fatigued after the extremely poor start to the year and the fight back to get us into a position to attack finals.

With our poor Gabba record this year it has also forced us to play a lot better away from home so I am not scared of having to travel in Finals.
3 weeks in a row of travel may be difficult but it is doable especially with the last week being a Grand Final and motivation enough.

Some mental Demons to sort through over the next couple of weeks, a freshen up would do the world of good.

What side of the draw are we on? If we get through week 1 do we play the loser of 1v4 or 2v3?
If we win week 1 we'll be travelling to either Sydney and playing GWS or the Swans or we'll be playing Geelong at the MCG. I think if we had another crack at the Cats or Giants, we'll be able to take them. Sydney at the SCG I'm not so sure since they've found their form again.

Last edited:
If we win week 1 we'll be travelling to either Sydney and playing GWS or the Swans or we'll be playing Geelong at the MCG. I think if we had another crack at the Cats or Giants, we'll be able to take them. Sydney at the SCG I'm not so sure since they've found their form again.
Could be Port as well

Half of me wants Fremantle for the easier matchup but the other half wants Carlton to get revenge for Opening round at the Gabba, and start our finals campaign off a little symbolic.
Yeah I’ve come around to wanting Carlton. If we lose so be it, we weren’t good enough to win it all then anyway, but if we win I like the idea of taking out a big Vic club on the way similar to the way we took out Richmond a couple of years ago.

It isn't even as bad as the commentators would make you believe UNLESS Perth is thrown in there BUT it cannot be, so that problem is avoided. The reality is, we play at home and then if we win:

EF: Home
SF1: Sydney / Melbourne (I favour us against anyone except GWS, so let's hope they win today and we avoid them) (Adelaide is basically impossible now unless Port get absolutely hammered)
PF2: Adelaide / Sydney / Melbourne

BREAK

GF: Melbourne

So MOST likely, we are only traveling to Sydney and Melbourne twice IF we make it WITH two breaks in there, so this is by no means undoable.

Essentially, if we get through week 1, we likely have a looming game with one of the Sydney teams and if it is GWS, I think we might exit there unfortunately.

Basically, I'm scared of GWS and Hawthorn, no one else.

It isn't even as bad as the commentators would make you believe UNLESS Perth is thrown in there BUT it cannot be, so that problem is avoided. The reality is, we play at home and then if we win:

SF1: Sydney / Melbourne (I favour us against anyone except GWS, so let's hope they win today and we avoid them) (Adelaide is basically impossible now unless Port get absolutely hammered)

BREAK

So MOST likely, we are only traveling to Sydney and Melbourne twice IF we make it WITH two breaks in there, so this is by no means undoable.

Essentially, if we get through week 1, we likely have a looming game with one of the Sydney teams and if it is GWS, I think we might exit there unfortunately.

What’s this “BREAK” thing before the granny?

BREAK

If we make it to the prelim I feel confident if we're playing Port Adelaide.

It's hard to reconcile the team that came out in the first quarter against the Giants and the Pies and the half mess we've seen a lot of the rest of the time with the one consistency being poor shots on goal.

That's been the outcome , the diagnosis is tiredness and the related incapacity to maintain energy and focus for the 4 quarters. Some sore personnel and others missing has added fuel to the fire.

With the week off we should get it done whoever we play. After that it's pure conjecture depending on how we go and how we pull up. We've targeted Payne to come in but it's a guessing game as to what level of fitness he'll be at. Nonetheless we need him.

1v4

BREAK

If port loose by around 25 pts, and giants win, Port could slip to 4th. So not at all impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back