Unofficial Preview Elimination Final Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's remarkable when you consider that it took until 2018 for Richmond to play Hawthorn in a final for the first time.
The other one is the Giants play their 17th final next Saturday, and it'll be their 4th against Sydney already.

Meanwhile there's only ever been one other non-Victorian intrastate final: Adelaide v Port in 2005.

I haven't bothered to do a long post since that pies loss. I think we really threw away our season, over two weeks, through a combination of bad kicking and letting it affect us mentally.

BUT it also made me realise that i have stopped enjoying the 'journey'. Since the grand final it just seems anything short of that, and really a flag, is a failure with this group. Well that's going to make footy pretty unbearable, when it's supposed to be an outlet from some of the more mundane moments of my life.

SO that's my determination. Enjoy each game for what it is. We are lower than we thought we would be this year. But a win against Carlton would be nice - always good to knock out a side that helped kill of Fitzroy. So i'll be there on Saturday, hoping, believing, yelling, until the pack of frauds gives up another big lead :)

ON TO THE GAME

It doesn't really matter that we threw away top 4/2 THIS week at least. Playing 8th side at the gabba is not a hard bar to get over IF you want to win the flag.

WHY WE SHOULD WIN

We will likely have our best side out there in terms of best 23 minus the ACLs. And none of them are lacking fitness except Payne.

Carlton get a lot of players back but how many can they fit in? How many will struggle to come straight in for a final?

We haven't lost a gabba final since 2021. 3 in a row, and the last one won after giving away a big start but NOT panicking.

We were excellent after the bye last time, and look like we needed it this time.

We are 10-2 since the bye, with our 2 losses being games we were winning clearly at 3qt. We haven't had any genuinely bad games, only bad endings.

The blues don't have the breakaway pace that worries us with some teams, albeit Acres is a big watch

Ashcroft looks in genuinely good form. That's a huge boost to us in terms of Neale having a quiet game and how much it usually hurts us.

WHY I'M WORRIED

The blues were second not long ago so their best is very good, and they will feel like they have nothing to lose

They will have basically their best 22 available barring the season long injuries, and perhaps barring TDK

Curnow and McKay worried us last time, and if Payne is rusty or not playing that's an even bigger worry

Their best asset is one we usually rely on - winning contested footy and clearances. if they get on top here we need to play a game plan we are not used to

We are 7-4 at the gabba this year, albeit only one of those losses has happened since very early on

The last quarter run ons we have let teams go on in the past 3 weeks is a terrible pattern for finals footy!

ON BALANCE - more positives than negatives, but as has often been the case this year, the odds are a bit over the top towards us.

I got thinking about if we do somehow win the flag or go deep, who simply MUST have a good finals series.

DANIHER - by far our best key forward. And gets the best defender. If he beats Weitering this week and even halves the contest with Taylor if we play the giants the week after, that goes a long way to us winning.

RAYNER - had a poor finals last year. Has shown his best ever form this year, but has been quieter the past 3 weeks. I think the positive within that is while in previous years his quiet games would often only get 8-10 touches, the past 3 weeks he has had 17,15,18. If he'd converted some more of this shots, suddenly his games were decent - and we win!

NEALE - it's funny because i remember when we were first getting in to finals neale could have 40 and we could lose. Doesn't seem to happen any more does it? While we are not Neale or bust, he seems to have made his possessions count for a lot more. He averages 29.5 this year. 24.8 in losses. The Hawthorn loss was the only one i remember him playing really well. The swans game was one we managed to win even though he only had 18 - but it was hardly convincing!

ANDREWS - I think arguably our best player. At his best he just totally changes a game.

STARCEVICH - he has been in outstanding career-best form the past few weeks before his hammy. Given our problem with small forwards would be a huge boost for us if he can keep that up in finals.

LOHMAN - 27 goals for the year is not shooting the lights out. but 5 in the past 2 weeks. just looks made to embrace the big moments.

The platform is far from user friendly.

After entering barcode(s) , you are left to your own devices to figure out what comes next

I probably sound like an old dinosaur but it took me ages to work out that after you upgrade one ticket , you have to scroll down the page to upgrade the second ticket.

As if you would enter 2 barcodes and decide to upgrade one seat and not the other.

Then there is the mysterious "something went wrong" message which means you have to join the fue again

Very messy

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have no problem with the process, having done it several times over the years. Having said that, I work in IT professionally so very competent with technology. I know my elderly parents would have no chance of securing tickets, and there’s thousands/millions of people who are similarly technically challenged. People can get very confused with so many things going on on the screen, let alone when you’ve got a 5 minute countdown timer applying pressure!

The ticketing companies could certainly improve their process, but there will always be people who can’t manage the technology aspects. These are the people who are being let down by the AFL.
The AFL could address this by setting up a finals ticket booth at the MCG (or Gabba / SCG etc. depending on the teams involved), where people can go and buy tickets from an actual person, with a ticket allocation for walk up sales. It won’t suit everyone, but it is providing an option to give everyone the opportunity to see their team.

The platform is far from user friendly.

After entering barcode(s) , you are left to your own devices to figure out what comes next

I probably sound like an old dinosaur but it took me ages to work out that after you upgrade one ticket , you have to scroll down the page to upgrade the second ticket.

As if you would enter 2 barcodes and decide to upgrade one seat and not the other.

Then there is the mysterious "something went wrong" message which means you have to join the fue again

Very messy

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
One part that completely riles me is that there is literally no say or option to choose what bay (or even seat) you want to sit in; its just completely random. Same with music concerts too.

I get that there is a lot of optimism in this thread but I need to temper it a bit with the findings of some research and analysis I’ve been doing over the past week.

So in finals it comes down to the best 8 teams playing the best 8 teams. And in elimination finals for teams 5 to 8 there is no tomorrow. These are the big games that we are interested in.

So for the last 10 years there have been 20 elimination finals and from those elimination finals there have been 20 winners and 20 losers. It just shows you how close our competition is in big elimination finals. It’s 50/50.
Please reference your work accordingly sir.

I’d never seen this before, so went looking and found it. This is 3 years old. It would make my week if there was evidence that he rolls with this every finals series!

“How even’s the Season when you say it like that”!🤨

The other one is the Giants play their 17th final next Saturday, and it'll be their 4th against Sydney already.

Meanwhile there's only ever been one other non-Victorian intrastate final: Adelaide v Port in 2005.
Yet the Suns are one year older and still yet to play a final. :oops:

I assume you mean in relation to the second line that there's only been one other same state / derby final? Don't know why but I thought there was an Eagles v Dockers final; obviously not.

It's uncanny how many times we've played Carlton in finals over the years in the AFL. The Bears' first final was against Carlton in 1995, as was their 3rd, in 1996. Then played in 1999, 2000, 2009 and last year. Next Saturday will be #7, out of a total of 38 finals.
That 2009 EF was an electric atmosphere, in my top 10 live Lions games I have been to.

Yet the Suns are one year older and still yet to play a final. :oops:

I assume you mean in relation to the second line that there's only been one other same state / derby final? Don't know why but I thought there was an Eagles v Dockers final; obviously not.
Not yet. One year there were 2 Preliminary Finals in Perth so there really should have been a derby Grand Final. But Hawthorn had something to say about that.

One part that completely riles me is that there is literally no say or option to choose what bay (or even seat) you want to sit in; its just completely random. Same with music concerts too.

Due in no small part to me stuffing around for so long, the options must have narrowed even for Priority Oner's.

Once I finally worked out how to drive the thing competently, it then persistently offered me tickets in the top tier behind the posts at the school end,( which were Category 2)

I chucked those in 3 or 4 times before it eventually offered me two in the Northern stand about on the 50m arc, Section 206

Not ideal but I took those, deciding not to go back in the lottery again

It's so bad isn't it?

I don't understand with all the money involved how they couldn't sort this.

Have the seat as red if taken, green if available, yellow if someone has selected it already (but not completed the purchase).

There are so many different preferences for where someone wants to sit. 'best available' is completely subjective!

It's so bad isn't it?

Have the seat as red if taken, green if available, yellow if someone has selected it already (but not completed the purchase).

There are so many different preferences for where someone wants to sit. 'best available' is completely subjective!

That "best available" function was useless for me.

It asked me to tick "filter" boxes but after I did that, it didn't appear to have anywhere to actually "apply" your choices.

I wasted a lot of time with that for no joy

I think that if we don't get over the line in this one, it'll be hard to win the premiership.
Yere but WHAT IF a drugs scandal hits Carlton on the Monday after they beat us or it was found that they had 19 players on the field during the game or if a goal was overturned on Sunday morning, meaning that the win gets awarded to us, despite losing to them on the scoreboard! You mean there's a chance - 1 in 300 trillion! It's still a chance!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That "best available" function was useless for me.

It asked me to tick "filter" boxes but after I did that, it didn't appear to have anywhere to actually "apply" your choices.

I wasted a lot of time with that for no joy
Lots of guessing for the unfamiliar.
And seeing it only happens once or a few times a year that leaves it to lasts years memory to kick in.
Not great for a lot of us.
The filter one you mentioned: At top left, it is the left facing arrow to activate.
How hard would it be to have an "apply" icon.
After i got kicked out at the 15-minute mark. The filters did not work, or all top tier priority 1 were sold.
Unlikely i think but all i was offered from that point was lower-level cat 2 seats.

It's so bad isn't it?

Yes
However, they will never allow club members to select their own seats.
Reason being they will be left with far too many single seats.

Spending money may be the real issue but what could they do.

Allow people to at least choose a section.
A live interactive venue map that they already have, but more than likely need to update.
It is used at other times like after the big rush and not many seats left.
It probably can't cope with what people want. So, spend the money and either update or get a new model.
Have locked out grey seats already sold, plus full sections not available to Lions members.
Example opposition allocated sections, cricket club etc.
Allow you to select 2/3/4 sections. Don't allow you to choose which seats.
Computer should sell front to back, not random.

People have very different thoughts on what is better seating for them.
This way may even be quicker for Ticketmaster, as people get offered crap seats (in their view) and so hit choose another seat/ticket, only to be offered more of what you don't want. Rince and repeat and that takes more time.
The later you get in the less options available but that's fair anyhow.

It's uncanny how many times we've played Carlton in finals over the years in the AFL. The Bears' first final was against Carlton in 1995, as was their 3rd, in 1996. Then played in 1999, 2000, 2009 and last year. Next Saturday will be #7, out of a total of 38 finals.
Even more uncanny is that Carlton have only played 23 finals (10 finals series) from 1995 onwards. 7 out of 24 against one club is quite bizarre.

Yere but WHAT IF a drugs scandal hits Carlton on the Monday after they beat us
Sydney/GWS gets a walk over.
or it was found that they had 19 players on the field during the game
Don't think anything happens to the game result unless it's noticed during the game (see Swans, Sydney, 2008).
or if a goal was overturned on Sunday morning
AFL goes "our bad, too sad".
meaning that the win gets awarded to us, despite losing to them on the scoreboard! You mean there's a chance - 1 in 300 trillion! It's still a chance!
Nah. :p

Yes
However, they will never allow club members to select their own seats.
Reason being they will be left with far too many single seats.
Actually this capability does exist - I bought 2 tickets to a show on Ticketek recently. I wasn’t able to select seats that left a single seat empty. It was annoying, until i figured out what was going on.

I have no problem with the process, having done it several times over the years. Having said that, I work in IT professionally so very competent with technology. I know my elderly parents would have no chance of securing tickets, and there’s thousands/millions of people who are similarly technically challenged. People can get very confused with so many things going on on the screen, let alone when you’ve got a 5 minute countdown timer applying pressure!

The ticketing companies could certainly improve their process, but there will always be people who can’t manage the technology aspects. These are the people who are being let down by the AFL.
The AFL could address this by setting up a finals ticket booth at the MCG (or Gabba / SCG etc. depending on the teams involved), where people can go and buy tickets from an actual person, with a ticket allocation for walk up sales. It won’t suit everyone, but it is providing an option to give everyone the opportunity to see their team.

Your talking about me!!

I liked the gf ticketing last year. Nominate early, if we make it the tickets are just assigned. Would happily do that for every final. So much less stress.

Did have to pay for that queue, but would happily pay that even though shouldn't have to unless your team loses.

Lots of guessing for the unfamiliar.
And seeing it only happens once or a few times a year that leaves it to lasts years memory to kick in.
Not great for a lot of us.
The filter one you mentioned: At top left, it is the left facing arrow to activate.
How hard would it be to have an "apply" icon.
After i got kicked out at the 15-minute mark. The filters did not work, or all top tier priority 1 were sold.
Unlikely i think but all i was offered from that point was lower-level cat 2 seats.

I think that's sort of where I got to too.

That's why I just grabbed the ones in Section 206 which were at least semi-decent.

What I found particularly annoying is that 5 or 10 minutes prior to that, I had jagged two much more superior seats, only to get that infuriatingly annoying "Something Went Wrong" message and having to start all over again :mad:

Actually this capability does exist - I bought 2 tickets to a show on Ticketek recently. I wasn’t able to select seats that left a single seat empty. It was annoying, until i figured out what was going on.
They can handle it (they've been able to do it for well over a decade at this point, it's just very rarely turned on) but I've always assumed the extra load/length of time to do so for the bigger venues and demand just doesn't make it worth their while. They know it's going to sell out anyway, they've got a captive audience.

I had to help my mate out as it was his first time getting finals tickets.
Now I'm not tech savvy but over the five years wev've been in I got it down pat.
Now he is pretty tech savvy and had trouble,
Problems , just didn't get in the queue , when he did it was giving him nose bleed tickets.
So I think the selection process is not that obvious, in that you can select best seats available and they will give you crap seats or the other option which was less obvious and select catorgories or lower tier and so on.
I remember the first year I had no idea on how to select different areas, and I think this year was the first year you could select lower tier.
Bottom line is best available is rubbish, throw in the pressure to get your tickets , plenty of punters just take the first seats.
as you say you don't have a problem , like myself we have been doing it for a few years now so know exactly what to do, just have to make it easier so newbies can make those choices.

How big was the show?
And would they have all the sorts of restrictions that the AFL impose on Ticketmaster/Ticketek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back