Preview Elimination Final: Sydney vs Essendon, SCG, Saturday 09/09/17 @ 4:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddard can play back along with the other 6. Thats a pretty common occurrence to be honest.

It minimises room for their forward while also allowing us an option off halfback to help transition the ball.
Typically there was a defence rotation between Merrett and Goddard, but they were still (predominantly) in the midfield, which is now oversubscribed. Will be interesting how it works out, possibly Parish more forward as well.

Typically there was a defence rotation between Merrett and Goddard, but they were still in the midfield rotation, which is now oversubscribed. Will be interesting how it works out, possibly Parish more forward as well.
We will have numbers around the ball to combat Sydneys contested game and from there we will spread.

I think our forwardline will be open for a lot of the game.

So the forward line is a bit of a shambles, with Laverde and Hocking dropped, Raz in, Hooker still out.

With Hurley back in defence, Goddard is surplus there. If Goddard goes back to the midfield while McGrath is there, then someone is surplus (possibly Colyer). So either Goddard goes forward to cover Hooker and the midfield is the same as Round 23, or Begley plays taller to cover Stewart (while Stewart covers for Hooker) and Colyer goes forward.

So basically;
Option 1: Colyer midfield, Goddard forward, Begley plays small or
Option 2: Goddard midfield, Colyer forward, Begley plays taller?

Not sure if that might be asking too much of Begley either. Someone who has watched him at VFL level might have more insight with regard to that?

We could try Hurley forward???

I want to see a really well disciplined and keen Essendon against Sydney, i expect nothing less...

If Essington turn up then i'll be really annoyed and might write a letter.

Hope that we've done a lot of pressure testing at training etc..obvious stuff.

Last edited:
We should trick em', play Daniher in full back and Hartley full forward. Throw their defense into disarray, allowing Stewart to get free and take uncontested marks inside 50.

Giving up a 19 point lead in 5 minutes isn't because one player wasnt there. More failures then that had to occur.

Remember when Daniher took matchsaving mark of the ****ing decade and then had to kick to Walla 1v1 and it pinged right back inside 50 for a goal? That's what no Hooker did for us. We lost the get our 198cm great big hulking get out of jail free card.

We should trick em', play Daniher in full back and Hartley full forward. Throw their defense into disarray, allowing Stewart to get free and take uncontested marks inside 50.
I'd go full weird. Fantasia in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets be real here - Worsfold is our coach. He's not going to have some surprising player movement tactic that he throws in just to win this game. This is Worsfold 'My only tactic is throw Hunter forward every single game' premiership coach.

What we get this season will be exactly what we've already seen so far (just hopefully executed a little better on the day).

There's a reason why every single player that gets interviewed talks about playing "Essendon brand of footy" - that's clearly the message that is getting drilled into the players at every opportunity that we want to play in a consistent way week to week, quarter to quarter.

Remember when Daniher took matchsaving mark of the ****ing decade and then had to kick to Walla 1v1 and it pinged right back inside 50 for a goal? That's what no Hooker did for us. We lost the get our 198cm great big hulking get out of jail free card.

One passage of play doesnt give us a 19 point drop off in 5 minutes.

I reckon McKernan plays.

I reckon they know his mentality too well. Name him now he will be overthinking to the point of being catatonic...will produce donuts for fear of messing up..

Keep him on edge, bring him in at the death knell, he plays his best footy on a whim, with back to the wall , when he has something to prove and hasnt had time to think...just go in raw instinct.

Reckon he is emg for a reason.

I reckon McKernan plays.

I reckon they know his mentality too well. Name him now he will be overthinking to the point of being catatonic...will produce donuts for fear of messing up..

Keep him on edge, bring him in at the death knell, he plays his best footy on a whim, with back to the wall , when he has something to prove and hasnt had time to think...just go in raw instinct.

Reckon he is emg for a reason.
You are over thinking it.
They have made a decision to go smaller in the forward line.
McKernan is nothing more than a emergency.

Lets be real here - Worsfold is our coach. He's not going to have some surprising player movement tactic that he throws in just to win this game. This is Worsfold 'My only tactic is throw Hunter forward every single game' premiership coach.

What we get this season will be exactly what we've already seen so far (just hopefully executed a little better on the day).

There's a reason why every single player that gets interviewed talks about playing "Essendon brand of footy" - that's clearly the message that is getting drilled into the players at every opportunity that we want to play in a consistent way week to week, quarter to quarter.

LOL. That and not letting Sydney have loose men in the backline so he ended up playing 8 forwards!!

I thought coming to Essendon meant he would play Hurley in defence and swing him forward. Turns out sending Hooker back to plug a hole is all there is so far. Well sending Goddard to tag in the midfield occasionally.

Goddard could be the ace in the hole this week, say what you like about the straight line runners off HB but they will never be quicker than a well placed 50m dart from Goddard that splits the middle and turns the play on its head.

Those kicks he takes inboard are pivotal to our success

Hi everyone, long time without a post. Just wanted to see if anyone is heading up to Sydney to watch the game and if so which pub will be the go to pub before the game. I've noticed Sheedy is marching us from Woollahra Hotel to the SCG at about 2:30pm. Is that where everyone will be or will there be another pub closer to the SCG that people will be heading to?

It's a wonder he didn't just start Hunter in the forward line.

Clearly he's figured this out and it's why Hooker dosen't play defense any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back