Autopsy Embarrassing Dogs smashed by Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, not his fault last night. The length of his kicking for goal is a real concern though.
His first shot at goal was a nice deep kick (from closer in). I think he just got under the second one. I wouldn't hang him for that one offence. Let's see if he kicks like that all the time.

What concerned me was that he got only two kicks all night and both were from frees. And only one tackle. Obviously we have bigger problems than an underperforming first gamer so let's give him another week, but this is the seniors now son. You have to learn and produce quickly or go back to VFL (whenever that may be).

Thought Keath went alright for you guys last night. He's excellent as an intercept defender and one of the few guys who could hold his head high after a pretty bad loss.
Keath, Bailey Williams, Caleb Daniel, Bailey Smith, Hayden Crozier and Easton Wood were the only ones who could walk away with their heads held high. Although to be fair to our forward, we nearly broke the record for the least inside 50s in a game (I believe 4th lowest in AFL era)

Dale barely had any opportunities. If we had a reasonable amount of inside 50s and he was quiet maybe but to blame a forward on that game isn't fair. Downhill skier or not we don't have that many players that have proven they can kick 5 goals a game. We carried Stringer through our finals based on that potential, we have to do the same for Dale.
What worried me was a complete lack of contribution altogether. Won't get dropped since they had zero supply, but I expected at least SOMETHING from our forward line.

Lots of ridiculous melting going on in this thread, yeah we had a shocker, reality is the season likely won't even finish, was the 1st game, boys heads weren't in the game clearly, I can't really blame them either.

it was a shocking effort. No melts just truth. Reasons aside that was a debacle on many levels.

Yeah after the rubbish Dale served up, I'm a little concerned about him. He was incredible when the team was firing last year, but we can't have pure downhill skiers in a side that doesn't want to get thrashed by 10+ goals come finals. I would have rather seen Gowers last night in his spot if anything - he makes mistakes but at least he's a competitor.

Also keen to see what Weightman offers, just not sure if we can have Cavarra and Weightman in the same side. I'd imagine that once Cavarra has had a run, and if he can't cement his spot, then Weightman might be given the call up.

He was very good last year when we were firing. But I'd like to see him get his hands dirty when the going gets tougher. Went missing against the Giants. Missing again last night. And not the first time in his career. Huge weakness in his game and not sure it's something players learn. Time will tell.

Dale barely had any opportunities. If we had a reasonable amount of inside 50s and he was quiet maybe but to blame a forward on that game isn't fair. Downhill skier or not we don't have that many players that have proven they can kick 5 goals a game. We carried Stringer through our finals based on that potential, we have to do the same for Dale.
Five years ago I might have agreed with you. 1 kick and no tackles is inexcusable for a half forward these days.

Lots of ridiculous melting going on in this thread, yeah we had a shocker, reality is the season likely won't even finish, was the 1st game, boys heads weren't in the game clearly, I can't really blame them either.

I think most people’s criticism is pretty pragmatic and reflects the fact that we’ve all waited months for round one, only to witness a pretty limp performance. There’s clearly reasons that can go some way to explaining the performance but it’s frustrating nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There's no point in calling for Trengove to be brought back in, Beveridge hates him more than Tim English hates weights training.

was the first game .........

Did you sleep through the final last year. Did failure to make the finals the previous two years miraculously escape your attention??? If you think peoples concerns are based on one single effort or that effort was not embarrassing well we live in different worlds. I guess you have better blood pressure right now than the rest of us so perhaps your way is best .

Agree with CharcoalChicken. Once this messed up season is done and dusted, not even Collingwood supporters will be talking about this game. Pies played better and had their head in the game but will be no better or worse off than us.

So as long as Collingwood finish no better off than us any level of performance is ok with you? Not sure if serious.

While I would put this performance as a "room for improvement"

I would really ask doggie posters tom have a minute or two seconds thought time before smashing the players with a baseball bat.

Consider the fact that all week Australian citizens all week have been ordered by the prime ministers to keep your distance from fellow Australians for the good of the country.And yet the players(from both sides would have asked to gang tackle, hunt in numbers etc etc). A bit of a contradiction yes.

The bulldog players I love and are always proud of them. But first and foremost they are human beings with family, could be parents, could be partner and father. And who knows for certain how badly they wanted to play given what is happening in the world and on our shores. I don't. No matter the teams if you have one team fully commited, and one team a bit reluctant to play, you are going to get a result like this everytime. And we all don't know what is going through their mind.

Yes we were sloppy, heistant and looked lacklustre on the field. But given what is happening in the world and what everybody else would/should be doing I give our players plaudits for just turning up. Don't think I have ever thought that before but last night I did. I didn't take anything out of the result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I would put this performance as a "room for improvement"

I would really ask doggie posters tom have a minute or two seconds thought time before smashing the players with a baseball bat.

Consider the fact that all week Australian citizens all week have been ordered by the prime ministers to keep your distance from fellow Australians for the good of the country.And yet the players(from both sides would have asked to gang tackle, hunt in numbers etc etc). A bit of a contradiction yes.

The bulldog players I love and are always proud of them. But first and foremost they are human beings with family, could be parents, could be partner and father. And who knows for certain how badly they wanted to play given what is happening in the world and on our shores. I don't. No matter the teams if you have one team fully commited, and one team a bit reluctant to play, you are going to get a result like this everytime. And we all don't know what is going through their mind.

Yes we were sloppy, heistant and looked lacklustre on the field. But given what is happening in the world and what everybody else would/should be doing I give our players plaudits for just turning up. Don't think I have ever thought that before but last night I did. I didn't take anything out of the result.

Both sides were playing under the exact same duress.

Blaming conditions is an absolute cop out, we were pathetic.

Silver Lining for today:

My brother, now being stuck at home by order of the Illinois Governor, was able to watch the footy in the states on FoxSports1. Luckily it was the Essendon vs Freo match and not ours. I would have been so embarrassed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

When he visited me in Sept 2018 we went to the first Final, Richmond vs Hawthorn, at the MCG, the only match he will probably ever see live in his life. Richmond won. :(

Bailey Smith currently leading the Dogs for disposals in 2020.
Deserves to be in the coaches votes this week. Could see him and Keath getting a vote or two each. Grundy, Sidebottom, Howe, Adams and Pendlebury may end up taking all the votes though, not to mention Mayne and Crisp

So as long as Collingwood finish no better off than us any level of performance is ok with you? Not sure if serious.

Collingwood and every other team in this most unique of seasons. Similarly, I wouldn't be reading too much into our performance had we thrashed Collingwood. I wasn't pleased or 'ok' with our performance last night, but I'm certainly not going to cry foul or declare our team's entire history and existence, or our player's motivation for the rest of the season, or our coach's gameplan or our selection committee being all sorts of wrong and woeful based on one game in a questionable season in exceptional circumstances.

Silver Lining for today:

My brother, now being stuck at home by order of the Illinois Governor, was able to watch the footy in the states on FoxSports1. Luckily it was the Essendon vs Freo match and not ours. I would have been so embarrassed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

When he visited me in Sept 2018 we went to the first Final, Richmond vs Hawthorn, at the MCG, the only match he will probably ever see live in his life. Richmond won. :(

The silver lining i see from this game......

Season is called off after this week. No more matches, no premiership, etc.

But there will be a 2020 draft...... and they work the order out based on 2020 finishing positions 😌

Welcome number 1 pick, plus JUH 😁

4 years ago, when we won the flag, we were contested footy beasts. Last night, we were smashed by 30 for contested footy. How have we become so soft? I know we’re younger now, but gee, maybe we need to get old knacker bags Macca back to the club! Our tackling is a real problem, the only one that tackled well last night was Cavarra. Very poor effort last night by our side

4 years ago, when we won the flag, we were contested footy beasts. Last night, we were smashed by 30 for contested footy. How have we become so soft? I know we’re younger now, but gee, maybe we need to get old knacker bags Macca back to the club! Our tackling is a real problem, the only one that tackled well last night was Cavarra. Very poor effort last night by our side
Losing Picken, Libba, Morris and Clay from that side would certainly go part of the way to explaining it.

BTW, the official Cavarra stats from last night show only 1 tackle (I remember seeing it live). I think we're cutting him a bit too much slack as a first gamer. However I'm sure he's better than that and hope to see proof of it in the coming weeks.

Keath, Bailey Williams, Caleb Daniel, Bailey Smith, Hayden Crozier and Easton Wood were the only ones who could walk away with their heads held high. Although to be fair to our forward, we nearly broke the record for the least inside 50s in a game (I believe 4th lowest in AFL era)
Reduced game time though means direct comparisons to other years needs an adjustment of 20% for most statistics.

Reduced game time though means direct comparisons to other years needs an adjustment of 20%.
Or 25%, depending which way you go. 4 minutes from 20 minutes is minus 20%. 4 minutes added to 16 minutes is an extra 25%.

But yes, I fully agree. A couple of us made that same point last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Embarrassing Dogs smashed by Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back