End of an Era: The demise of the Geelong Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
at least we go down as the 'winningest' team ever, 84 from 99 games was it?

still extremely proud.

if you had told me this in 06 you would have been committed.

Re: Farewell to Geelong one of the best teams of all time.

Arrogance and complacency finally finished them. Look at how they played against Fro last week and how they sing the song after a win. They thought they were good enough to win from any position but tonight they found out they couldnt.

They have been a great side, but in 5 or 10 years will not be remembered as such because success is only measured in flags, not H&A records.
2 from 3 is good, but not special, and not better than 3 from 4 like the Lions and Hawks teams over the previous 20 years.

And here come the Hawthorn supporters. They just love to wallow in others' misery while trying to drag non-Hawthorn teams down. But I am sure they are all lovely people...

We'll take two flags out of the last three and be happy with them I reckon. I hope we can challenge again soon but it's hard to see it happening right now.

Meh all u ppl bagging them out.. when i was a young kid all i dreamed about was seeing geelong win a premiership.. ive seen 2.. mate im bloody happy about that because its not every year YOUR team can win one

And here come the Hawthorn supporters. They just love to wallow in others' misery while trying to drag non-Hawthorn teams down. But I am sure they are all lovely people...

We'll take two flags out of the last three and be happy with them I reckon. I hope we can challenge again soon but it's hard to see it happening right now.

Let them have their time in the sun. The 7th placed Hawks have waited some time for this moment.

I think people forget that Geelong changed the way football is played. They bucked the trend of zoning and flooding. They attacked the game with gusto and the gamestyle of winning the hardball and all the contested footy is all thanks to Geelong.

Disagree with this. They were a champion side but in no way did they do anything to buck the trend on zoning and flooding. Hawthorn and Collingwood epitomise 'structured' football and this was ultimately Geelong's demise.

Thompson was always a good list manager but a poor gameday coach imo.

They may not be the most successful in terms of flags but they were pretty much one of the best teams to watch. Sure the defence and pressure wins games but Geelong has played a brand of footy that is amazing to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please dont right off a champion side the have been fantastic for so long
i`m sure they will up and about next year .

lets hope collingwood can copy the feats of geelong GO PIES

QFT

Never understood, as a collective group, Horforn supporters ability to gain more enjoyment from other's misery than in celebrating their own successes. Freaks.:confused:

its not just about premierships in terms of a dynasty. in terms of best team ever, it does.

but:
2 premierships
3 grand finals
84% winning rate
2 preseason premierships
2 brownlows
numerous all-australians
and some of the players who will go down as some of the best of all time (actually, only scarlett and ablett)

people will remember this team for years to come

Re: End of the arrogant cats

It's certain that Bomber will make sure they don't watch the tape of that game:cool: It was just a bad day.:D

Pity he didn't ask his media lackies to tell the truth after tonight's game.

Geelong - the masters of bruise free footy who almost had the game renamed HFL with their stat hungry handballs.

I am celebrating. Woohoo

and its not over yet. still finals to go for them next year with plenty of good youngsters. no reason for why they cant make finals for next couple of years.

Gotta love the Hawthorn supporters gloating. Has anyone enjoyed schadenfreude as much as these w***ers?

Ah well, we saw two premierships. After thinking we'd never win one I'll take them and be happy about it.

It's pretty sad, really. I'd kill for 2 out of 3.

please don't lump all hawthorn supporters together with some of the ppl that post on here, i reckon geelong are a bloody great team and they will be remembered for their dominance, whose to say it won't continue next year?

please don't lump all hawthorn supporters together with some of the ppl that post on here, i reckon geelong are a bloody great team and they will be remembered for their dominance, whose to say it won't continue next year?

There's obviously some usage of the word "dominance" with which I am unfamiliar.

Disagree with this. They were a champion side but in no way did they do anything to buck the trend on zoning and flooding.

Correct. West Coast were doing the uber handball, perpetual movement for two years prior and won a flag with it before Geelong won a flag with it.

Any genuine footy fan would've been at least a little saddened by what they saw tonight.

On the back of that display, I don't think it's overstating to say their period of dominance is all but over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back