Premier Lg EPL Matchday 6 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we all acting like Chelsea arent a big club. No need for Palmer to move really?
I think the speculation comes from the fact people seem to think that at some point Chelsea will be hit with FFP warnings and will need to sell players off and that Palmer would sell for a significant profit.
But I just don't think they need to sell him, if they had to make FFP requirements they have a lot of other players like Mudryk that they would be selling first to keep guys like Palmer etc on their list.

If Chelsea don't have to sell or Palmer doesn't force a move I don't see any real reason they would sell even if its for a record fee, he is key atm to their project, their branding, the squad feels like its being built around him.

The only reason Palmer could leave is if Chelsea have a horrendous slump and miss CL/Europa the next few years, but they have started this season so well I don't think they miss top 4 let alone top 6, or if Palmer doesn't think they can win the league soon while he enters his peak years.
But he comes off as someone who believes in the direction Chelsea are going so even if Chelsea fall apart I don't think he leaves for 3 years+ anyway.

Where would he realistically go though.

Dont reckon Arsenal have the money, Liverpool certainly dont. Even though he's a United fan, that's a massive step backwards as they are awful. It leaves just back to Manchester City.

The only two other possibilities for him would be Bayern and Real Madrid. Dont reckon Madrid move for him, they are stacked. Maybe Bayern could make a move.
Barca might use their 10th and 11th lever to get him

I think the speculation comes from the fact people seem to think that at some point Chelsea will be hit with FFP warnings and will need to sell players off and that Palmer would sell for a significant profit.
But I just don't think they need to sell him, if they had to make FFP requirements they have a lot of other players like Mudryk that they would be selling first to keep guys like Palmer etc on their list.

If Chelsea don't have to sell or Palmer doesn't force a move I don't see any real reason they would sell even if its for a record fee, he is key atm to their project, their branding, the squad feels like its being built around him.

The only reason Palmer could leave is if Chelsea have a horrendous slump and miss CL/Europa the next few years, but they have started this season so well I don't think they miss top 4 let alone top 6, or if Palmer doesn't think they can win the league soon while he enters his peak years.
But he comes off as someone who believes in the direction Chelsea are going so even if Chelsea fall apart I don't think he leaves for 3 years+ anyway.
Selling Mudryk would barely scratch the surface on FFP. It will more likely be any academy players coming through

You don't think a Bayern could if Kane retires in the next 2 seasons and they have cash to spend?

Bundesliga isn't going to attract a top quality young PL footballer with their best years to come.

Even Kane gave his best years to Spurs before heading off to Bundesliga in search of trophies. Also while Bayern has cash to spend they simply do not throw out wage offers that are difficult to refuse.

If Palmer were there I can see it being at a similar stage of his career to Kanes.

Don't think anyone is selling Mudryk now to make a PSR profit.

Don't think anyone would pay anything close to his unamortised value.

Could a 2 year loan with an obligation to buy deal work or would that be viewed as trying to dodge PSR? Spread the loss down the track.

Bundesliga isn't going to attract a top quality young PL footballer with their best years to come.

Even Kane gave his best years to Spurs before heading off to Bundesliga in search of trophies. Also while Bayern has cash to spend they simply do not throw out wage offers that are difficult to refuse.

If Palmer were there I can see it being at a similar stage of his career to Kanes.
Olise?

Could a 2 year loan with an obligation to buy deal work or would that be viewed as trying to dodge PSR? Spread the loss down the track.
At a guess his book value is around £80m. In two years it'll be £60m.

If he can't force his way into the team I think he'll be loaned out for the next 5 years at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mudryk is on lowish wages(90k) so he'll just be a squad player as long as he's happy with that(if he cant win a starting spot). Not bad depth.
Problem is you have a huge payout on your hands if he leaves. Nobody will give him the equivalent contract length.

I agree with this. Chelsea probably do have to improve which they have so far at the start of this season but the last two seasons saw them finish 6th and the year before that 12th. This season is key. If it goes 12th to 6th to top four, you can see the progression, but if Maresca doesnt work out and Chelsea stay around 6th or slip backwards to 8th etc... it's problematic for keeping your best players.

But IMO Chelsea will be fine. Can see them battling it out with Villa and us for 3rd and 4th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Premier Lg EPL Matchday 6 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back