Roast Essendon in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

We scored 9 goals from 60 inside 50's (15%). They scored 16 from 56 (28.6%). Even if you expanded that to scores they scored 41.1% of their I50 to our 23.3%

im not entirely sure of what goes into the AFL stat but the way you have broken it down still shows we have a glaring issue in our fwdline.

They go hand in hand but cost relative, King would command at least two firsts (that's a best case). Could you not just get a really good mid for one of those selections? Probably. Still feel you back Jones to be a very good key, he's just young, we said the same thing about Amartey last year and before, keys take time, you are 2-3 years to contend, take the long route and you'll sustain success don't look at a short cut.

Personally though it's the poor delivery more, fix that and put the ball in front of a forward and not to the advantage of the defender
Essendon have one of the best midfields going around, they should trade parish and tsarsis for King. You add king and you add Langford back through the mid rotation. Jones looks to be a star in the making, play him wing for another 2 years, then he goes fwd when Wright retires. The essendon list would be a top 4 lock if they add king, will they be aggressive enough at trade time

They'll have a first, parish, cox, tsaris and Bryan as trade capital

im not entirely sure of what goes into the AFL stat but the way you have broken it down still shows we have a glaring issue in our fwdline.
I'm not disagreeing, just that your stats were bizarre

Essendon are a very good side. No question. Lots of good players.

But they really lack star power - lots of solid citizens, no real game breaker. Vanilla.

Like imagine someone like Zac Butters in their midfield. He'd change the whole dynamic.

Also don't rate this Essendon Edge stuff. It's cringe.

Also really dislike Essendon fans on my Facebook always posting some tacky stuff when they win. My feed is flooded with it. I'd have to say their fans are one of the least intelligent in terms of football knowledge. Just an ordinary unit all round.

IB4 - yes I am expecting hate and deserve it. Just want to vent how much I don't like anything about Essendon as a concept, football organisation and community.
Essendon are similar to St Kilda in that they've lacked star power for a long time.
Sure they've had A graders such as Watson and Merrett, but no game breaking cream of the crop superstars and it's been like that since Hird and Lloyd retired.
St Kilda haven't had a game breaking, cream of the crop superstar since Nick Riewoldt.

This is a symptom of Melbourne having nine teams, and there not being enough star talent in Metropolitan Victoria for all of them thanks to the AFL having 18 (soon to be 19) teams.

Not necessarily doom and gloom but it's the poor version of geelong with topping up of the list, oldest trick in the book and right down brad scott's alley.

However!!! The effectiveness of this is highly dependant on the core. If you got a middling core, then topping up the list even when it pays off only keeps you aflot for a seaon or two.

Is essendon's list a couple of players away from a flag? Top 4?

Is the current position on the ladder a more realistic reflection of bomber's list.

Perhaps next year with a harder draw will truly test bomber's list. The same goes for hawthorn and i suppose the same for collingwood as they face a much harder draw this year.

The worst thing you can do as a team is yoyoing up and down around the middle.

Not necessarily doom and gloom but it's the poor version of geelong with topping up of the list, oldest trick in the book and right down brad scott's alley.

However!!! The effectiveness of this is highly dependant on the core. If you got a middling core, then topping up the list even when it pays off only keeps you aflot for a seaon or two.

Is essendon's list a couple of players away from a flag? Top 4?

Is the current position on the ladder a more realistic reflection of bomber's list.

Perhaps next year with a harder draw will truly test bomber's list. The same goes for hawthorn and i suppose the same for collingwood as they face a much harder draw this year.

The worst thing you can do as a team is yoyoing up and down around the middle.
Yeah, but we aren't really topping up. We've gotten some free agents, sure, but the only players we're trading in are guys we can get in player swaps (like Duursma/Zerk-Thatcher) or players we're bringing in for cents on the dollar.

Since Daniher, Saad and Fantasia left we've taken 9 players in the first two rounds of the draft the past four years, six of which have been first round picks. One has been cut and is now at Collingwood, but the other 8 are still around. Our trades have been for fringe players that we're getting for cents on the dollar (Caldwell for Fantasia and a second, Wright for an unused F4, Weideman for Francis essentially, Hind for a throwaway pick, Setterfield for a 3rd).

Signing guys like Gresham, McKay and Goldstein in FA aren't signs we're topping up. They're players who are good in positions of need. The only one that hasn't really made a lot of sense is Gresham, as he's another slow small forward whose pressure is pretty average.

Almost certain to make finals but top 4 might be a stretch now. I think their best outcome is 6th and playing Port/GWS in 7th spot. Gives the best chance to win a final

Yeah, but we aren't really topping up. We've gotten some free agents, sure, but the only players we're trading in are guys we can get in player swaps (like Duursma/Zerk-Thatcher) or players we're bringing in for cents on the dollar.

Since Daniher, Saad and Fantasia left we've taken 9 players in the first two rounds of the draft the past four years, six of which have been first round picks. One has been cut and is now at Collingwood, but the other 8 are still around. Our trades have been for fringe players that we're getting for cents on the dollar (Caldwell for Fantasia and a second, Wright for an unused F4, Weideman for Francis essentially, Hind for a throwaway pick, Setterfield for a 3rd).

Signing guys like Gresham, McKay and Goldstein in FA aren't signs we're topping up. They're players who are good in positions of need. The only one that hasn't really made a lot of sense is Gresham, as he's another slow small forward whose pressure is pretty average.

One is 36, nearing end of career, the other 2 around 26 so they players are for the right now.

Having these 3 most definitely got the club into the next tier, i.e. from bottom 4 to top 8.

There is nothing wrong with the recruitment, however the list isn't strong enough to get a long stay in the top 4 because you don't have a top tier core list i.e. richmond = martin, cotchin, rance, riewolt to build around.

Brad' stragedy essentially requires increasing input with diminishing return.

Finishing top 4 would probably be the worst thing for essendon this year in that it will get belted out in straight set but also set up next year with a far harder draw meaning there is every chance you go down again.

The yoyoing effect is what's concerning and i mean this is applicable for quite a few clubs like melb, hawthorn, port as draft won't be a thing in 2028 - 2031 so there is no safety of a fall.

The only thing is to hope brad is firing on all cylinder and ensure bombers stay hovering around the 8 through the tasmania entrance years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One is 36, nearing end of career, the other 2 around 26 so they players are for the right now.

Having these 3 most definitely got the club into the next tier, i.e. from bottom 4 to top 8.

There is nothing wrong with the recruitment, however the list isn't strong enough to get a long stay in the top 4 because you don't have a top tier core list i.e. richmond = martin, cotchin, rance, riewolt to build around.

Brad' stragedy essentially requires increasing input with diminishing return.

Finishing top 4 would probably be the worst thing for essendon this year in that it will get belted out in straight set but also set up next year with a far harder draw meaning there is every chance you go down again.

The yoyoing effect is what's concerning and i mean this is applicable for quite a few clubs like melb, hawthorn, port as draft won't be a thing in 2028 - 2031 so there is no safety of a fall.

The only thing is to hope brad is firing on all cylinder and ensure bombers stay hovering around the 8 through the tasmania entrance years.
One is in as a backup ruck and pseudo ruck coach because Draper has managed one full season and Bryan hasn't shown the physicality required to play AFL regularly. The other two are upgrades on Will Snelling and Brandon Zerk-Thatcher and are good players who should be able to play for us for 5/6 years.

Anyone thinking their recruitment is anything but upgrading a couple of players is crazy. They're good players, we have cap space, so apart from Gresham (who is quality in an area we need, but not the right type for us), what's the reason we don't get them in? When they cost us no draft capital? Should we have kept Will Snelling instead of signing Gresham? Traded for Dougal Howard or Adam Tomlinson instead of signing McKay? Gotten an inferior ruck in the merry go round to Goldstein?

Teams like Port and Collingwood were topping up last year by trading out plenty of high picks. We're clearly going through our rebuild still by making the draft the #1 priority. 6 first round picks and 3 second round picks in 4 years is clearly a team that's committed to a rebuild.

One is in as a backup ruck and pseudo ruck coach because Draper has managed one full season and Bryan hasn't shown the physicality required to play AFL regularly. The other two are upgrades on Will Snelling and Brandon Zerk-Thatcher and are good players who should be able to play for us for 5/6 years.

Anyone thinking their recruitment is anything but upgrading a couple of players is crazy. They're good players, we have cap space, so apart from Gresham (who is quality in an area we need, but not the right type for us), what's the reason we don't get them in? When they cost us no draft capital? Should we have kept Will Snelling instead of signing Gresham? Traded for Dougal Howard or Adam Tomlinson instead of signing McKay? Gotten an inferior ruck in the merry go round to Goldstein?

Teams like Port and Collingwood were topping up last year by trading out plenty of high picks. We're clearly going through our rebuild still by making the draft the #1 priority. 6 first round picks and 3 second round picks in 4 years is clearly a team that's committed to a rebuild.

Your current position is your ceiling if you haven't noticed and that's on a fairly easy draw.

Your current position is your ceiling if you haven't noticed and that's on a fairly easy draw.
Based on what? We have plenty of youth coming through on the list (seventh youngest in the AFL still by average age), we have more first round picks on our list than any other club.

As far as the draw goes, who cares? It's such an even year that it's irrelevant.

Based on what? We have plenty of youth coming through on the list (seventh youngest in the AFL still by average age), we have more first round picks on our list than any other club.

As far as the draw goes, who cares? It's such an even year that it's irrelevant.

ummmm such as...

ummmm such as...
First round picks born 2000 or later on our list:

Xavier Duursma, Jye Caldwell, Nik Cox, Zach Reid, Archie Perkins, Ben Hobbs, Elijah Tsatas and Nate Caddy.

Not to mention players like Sam Durham, Nic Martin, Harrison Jones, Jye Menzie and Alwyn Davey jr having shown that they can play at the level despite still having plenty of time on their side. There's plenty of high quality youth on our list.

Now, what's the basis of your "This is Essendon's ceiling" assertion? The vibe? Mabo?

First round picks born 2000 or later on our list:

Xavier Duursma, Jye Caldwell, Nik Cox, Zach Reid, Archie Perkins, Ben Hobbs, Elijah Tsatas and Nate Caddy.

Not to mention players like Sam Durham, Nic Martin, Harrison Jones, Jye Menzie and Alwyn Davey jr having shown that they can play at the level despite still having plenty of time on their side. There's plenty of high quality youth on our list.

Now, what's the basis of your "This is Essendon's ceiling" assertion? The vibe? Mabo?

Mate, if i got 1 hour, i could spit off a list like yours for 17 other clubs...

But in any case, you want basis, you can barely stay in the top 4 with 2 bad loss away from bottom of top 8.

Also the only team with <100% tells me a team not on part with the other top 8 side.

in fact you guys are 10% below pretty much all the teams in the top 8

Mate, if i got 1 hour, i could spit off a list like yours for 17 other clubs...

But in any case, you want basis, you can barely stay in the top 4 with 2 bad loss away from bottom of top 8.

Also the only team with <100% tells me a team not on part with the other top 8 side.

in fact you guys are 10% below pretty much all the teams in the top 8
No you couldn't. Only Adelaide, North and Gold Coast have more first round picks in the same age bracket.

So essentially, the vibe, Mabo. Good to know. You want this to be the ceiling so twisting the facts to suit.

Nobody thinks we're the finished product yet. You want the signings to be us topping up so that this season is a "failure", you ignore the youth on the list cos it doesn't suit that argument.

Us not being top 4 is expected. We weren't expected to make the 8. We're doing well with an okay fixture in a year where one team you can definitely will be top 4. After that anybody currently in the 8 could finish in the remaining spots and by the same token any of them could miss from the sides between 9th and 13th.

No you couldn't. Only Adelaide, North and Gold Coast have more first round picks in the same age bracket.

So essentially, the vibe, Mabo. Good to know. You want this to be the ceiling so twisting the facts to suit.

Nobody thinks we're the finished product yet. You want the signings to be us topping up so that this season is a "failure", you ignore the youth on the list cos it doesn't suit that argument.

Us not being top 4 is expected. We weren't expected to make the 8. We're doing well with an okay fixture in a year where one team you can definitely will be top 4. After that anybody currently in the 8 could finish in the remaining spots and by the same token any of them could miss from the sides between 9th and 13th.

You are not the finished product, err there is no such thing as FINISHED PRODUCT.

Each team is constant evolution. You don't have an elite core for the topping to be effective.

You don't have 4 absolute top of the line players now or in a few years to build your club around for the next decade.

So the next best hope is to keep on topping up so you would stay in the 8 and that's right now brad's alley but unfortunately there is no draft safe net if there is a recession or two.

You are not the finished product, err there is no such thing as FINISHED PRODUCT.

Each team is constant evolution. You don't have an elite core for the topping to be effective.

You don't have 4 absolute top of the line players now or in a few years to build your club around for the next decade.

So the next best hope is to keep on topping up so you would stay in the 8 and that's right now brad's alley but unfortunately there is no draft safe net if there is a recession or two.
That's such a cop out. Our core is clearly what's being discussed.

Yeah, our core is still developing. That's why we're still hitting the draft and not topping up.

You want us to be topping up despite all the evidence being "you signed a backup ruck and two 25 year olds".

That's such a cop out. Our core is clearly what's being discussed.

Yeah, our core is still developing. That's why we're still hitting the draft and not topping up.

You want us to be topping up despite all the evidence being "you signed a backup ruck and two 25 year olds".

And you signed up an out of date ruck who is 36 on 2 years, oh that 25 y.o towered goldstein earlier on in the year lol

And you signed up an out of date ruck who is 36 on 2 years, oh that 25 y.o towered goldstein earlier on in the year lol
We signed Goldy for one year as a back up. And where did I say anything about Xerri?

Your obvious trolling has been entertaining but it's about time to say bye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Essendon in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back