Essendon top up players - Who's available?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jamar has had it physically and he has a coaching gig. Grimley has moved to Perth. As for the rest, they may be interested. Interesting to see if any of them get snapped up by Melbourne, St, Kilda, or Port Adelaide first, as they will be able to promote a rookie and jag a replacement.
Are we allowed to add a replacement rookie after we promote one? Thought it was just promote one and leave the rest as is... Can anyone confirm if this is in fact the case?

Are we allowed to add a replacement rookie after we promote one? Thought it was just promote one and leave the rest as is... Can anyone confirm if this is in fact the case?

Pretty sure you had it right. You don't get a replacement rookie, they're treating it as effectively a LTI.

No, I just call it as I see it. You put forth a list of players that were either finished - or not good enough (first time around). I am not taking pot shots at you, and I cannot help it if you take it personal, but I was honest, it is only my opinion. The reasoning behind me dismissing the list you put forth, is because I think Essendon should use the unfortunate situation as an opportunity to hopefully discover a decent prospect. Now I've said that, if you feel that Essendon should take another direction, then I would respect that also.

But why? The risk vs reward of picking up an untried player who could be a total flop makes no sense. Top up players are their to provide depth in the case of injury.

But why? The risk vs reward of picking up an untried player who could be a total flop makes no sense. Top up players are their to provide depth in the case of injury.

Yeah, and I respect that opinion also. I just believe 2016 is a write off. If Essendon are planning for 2017 on wards, they might want to roll the dice on some untried names. They could take a bloke like Crowley, or they could roll the dice on the next Vandenberg. I would roll the dice, they don't have a lot to lose this year. Maybe they will get the opportunity to do both.

Has anything come out about how much the Bombers' salary cap has been expanded for the top-up players? I keep seeing rather optimistic views about who the top-up players should be, but unless the cap is expanded significantly it may be hard to lure many of these players. Many ex-AFL guys (particularly those that have had a decent career) are paid pretty well for playing in the lower leagues and don't have to worry about elite level training/lifestyle changes.

Yeah, and I respect that opinion also. I just believe 2016 is a write off. If Essendon are planning for 2017 on wards, they might want to roll the dice on some untried names. They could take a bloke like Crowley, or they could roll the dice on the next Vandenberg. I would roll the dice, they don't have a lot to lose this year. Maybe they will get the opportunity to do both.

But by rolling the dice what do we gain? If we unearth a Vandenberg them we are unlikely to be able to draft them at the end of the season as other clubs will get in first.

But by rolling the dice what do we gain? If we unearth a Vandenberg them we are unlikely to be able to draft them at the end of the season as other clubs will get in first.

That's an interesting point. I've been assuming that Essendon would be able to re-contract these top-up players given they're going on to your senior list - similar to GC and GWS's extended playing lists, i.e. you'd need to delist a bunch of players at the end of the year but they wouldn't have to be top-up players. However I don't think anything concrete has been said one way or the other.

That's an interesting point. I've been assuming that Essendon would be able to re-contract these top-up players given they're going on to your senior list - similar to GC and GWS's extended playing lists, i.e. you'd need to delist a bunch of players at the end of the year but they wouldn't have to be top-up players. However I don't think anything concrete has been said one way or the other.

Seriously doubt we'll have any claim to the top-ups at the completion of 2016.

Has anything come out about how much the Bombers' salary cap has been expanded for the top-up players? I keep seeing rather optimistic views about who the top-up players should be, but unless the cap is expanded significantly it may be hard to lure many of these players. Many ex-AFL guys (particularly those that have had a decent career) are paid pretty well for playing in the lower leagues and don't have to worry about elite level training/lifestyle changes.
It's a separate "supplementary" list outside of the cap.
Seriously doubt we'll have any claim to the top-ups at the completion of 2016.
Disagree.

It's a separate "supplementary" list outside of the cap.
This is what I was referring to:
- Extra payments to supplementary players will be included in the club's salary cap but Essendon will receive an allowance for payments to supplementary players over the cap limit.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-12/afl-reveals-contingency-plan-for-weakened-bombers

Unless that allowance is quite large I'd think it's going to be difficult to lure ex-players, aside from those still desperate for another chance.

Dunno if they'll need a small/medium defender but would be rapt to see Matty Dea get a lifeline. Won our VFL B&F and was just unlucky that despite his strong season, we had a pretty settled backline in 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno if they'll need a small/medium defender but would be rapt to see Matty Dea get a lifeline. Won our VFL B&F and was just unlucky that despite his strong season, we had a pretty settled backline in 2015.
be nice to see him get a good run at it. at worst they'll have a solid defensive player.

edit: the issue of them signing a top up player, and the player being genuinely good is an interesting point, will they have to draft them? or do the just get a 'dibs' and they go straight to the senior list providing they have space. honestly, they're still entitled to the no.1 pick, they should have to draft the players, but similar to FS or academy prospects, they should bid for them, if the player is OK still playing there. It's the fairest solution imo that won't (and shouldn't) give the bombers a free leg up.

Last edited:
J Simpkin will get picked up.

he already has an understanding of afl game play and game plans is more then fit enough at the level and has no glaring weakness in his game.

only reason he was delisted was because of $$$. before this whole situation i was sure he would spend a year out of the game and get picked up as a mature next year just like when sydney delisted him and geelong picked him up. perfect for a young team who needs depth cover though a number of positions, he is very coachable.

This is what I was referring to:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-12/afl-reveals-contingency-plan-for-weakened-bombers

Unless that allowance is quite large I'd think it's going to be difficult to lure ex-players, aside from those still desperate for another chance.

As Brian Lake has said, it's tough for the retired players who would have mentally switched off and been enjoying themselves since the last game. Essendon would be better off going for the kids IMO.

As Brian Lake has said, it's tough for the retired players who would have mentally switched off and been enjoying themselves since the last game. Essendon would be better off going for the kids IMO.
Probably depends on the retention rules for me...do the players just go back into the open pool after the year's over? If so I'm not sure how beneficial going for kids would be; I'd probably favour looking at the 23-28 state league types that can provide immediate depth. If they become part of an expanded list that Essendon must cut down by next year then going for 18-20 year olds that haven't been picked up in the drafts is probably the right option.

Siposs/Simpkin/Saad would be chances also..
Always wondered about Siposs, looked good at times a couple of years ago before the wheel fell off. Certainly seems to have talent.

Sam Darley is one who could be considered - very unlucky to be cut

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon top up players - Who's available?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back