MadBomberman

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U, Melbourne Heart, Bulls
What would you as Essendon fans want? I know a few Essendon fans that really like Etihad stadium but I prefer the MCG. Our membership soon will out-grow the Etihad capacity. I think we are contracted until 2024 but does anyone know if there is any way of getting out of it before 2024? Being Etihad tenants is slowing the growth rate of the club IMO.

Could Etihad also be another reason why we travel poorly? Have a 7-1 record there this year (under a roof), but our MCG record is 1-6-1 this year. This includes losses to Melbourne and Richmond. You can say the quality of teams we play is different, but we beat Geelong at Etihad and it is no secret that we play our best footy at Etihad. The size of the grounds are not that different as well. Thoughts?

I prefer the MCG (being an MCC member) but no doubt our membership will grow in a few years and we can truly make a "Red and black Cauldron" at the Dome. Teams will fear us there and the noise should be awesome.

True. I think the atmosphere at Etihad is great, but if that affects the way we play at the MCG, then I would rather pass. Finals for Essendon will not be at Etihad so I think we should try everything to move to the MCG.

MCG, MCG, a thousand times the MCG.

If the MCG is your home ground, and you can play there well, then you're basically set. No good being masters of the Docklands.

ask the same question Sunday night.... think it might change a few peoples opinions of the MCG when we roll Carlscum... I have attended more games at Etihad and probably enjoy Etihad during the home and away season more then the G but finals atmosphere at the chosen turf is unbelieveable!!!!

Love the 'G. Love the whole process of getting to the ground, walking round to my gate, looking high-up at the magnificent structure and thinking of its history.

I just hate how we play average there (compared to Docklands). Would love to invert the number of Etihad and MCG games played per year.

MCG is home ground to Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton and a couple of others.

Etihad is home to us, St Kilda, WB & North.

It's embarrassing that a club of our scale has such a tinpot stadium as their home ground.

We should have the MCG as our home and only play interstate teams at Etihad. All our home games against St, North, WB etc should be at the G.

Bit of both for me, really. The MCG is definitely much better for the big games (Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn), but Etihad's atmosphere is definitely much than the MCG's for smaller games (Port, Gold Coast etc.) The way they do up Etihad to make it feel like it's our home ground is great also.

MCG is home ground to Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton and a couple of others.

Melbourne, most absurdly, given the size of the crowds they get for interstate teams.

And Carlton shares Docklands as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no issues with the MCG, and if that is where the finals will be held, then as far as I am concerned, the more we play there, the better we will be suited to the ground come future finals.

I prefer our games against the smaller Melbourne clubs and interstate to be at Docklands but if we can play half our Melbourne games at the MCG I think we'll be fine. Geelong would back themselves to win at both ES and MCG, no reason why we shouldn't.

Etihad - location
- never raining
- can park underneath
- viewing is better
- easier for food/bars
-next to train station
- we play better there
- atmosphere is great
- corporate set up is elite

Etihad is a nice sterile environment to watch footy in; the biggest advantage is that there is never rain. I don't enjoy the atmosphere at the ground and, really, nothing compares to a match at the G.

From a financial/membership/football perspective, moving from the G when we did was a mistake.

At a time when we had the world at our feet, those in charge lacked vision. Instead of capitalising on our dominance from 99-01 we capped most of our crowds for $s.

We had a grand idea of turning Ethiad into a sea of red and black, except for the second tier which is notoriously underpopulated and the difficulty getting people into the ground when the stadium is close to capacity.

I suppose having the electricity/power up thing makes up for it all...we might as well play 'who let the dogs out'.

The fact that all the really important games get played at the MCG is reason enough to move back there. Our new training venue is having ovals custom built to MGC size isn't it?

I think Etihad is great. It's easy to get to, it's dry and it doesn't feel empty when we play interstate teams (the crowd against Port was huge). The MCG is great when we play teams like Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn but if we played there against teams like GWS, Gold Coast and Port it would feel a lot more underwhelming.

Etihad is a nice sterile environment to watch footy in; the biggest advantage is that there is never rain. I don't enjoy the atmosphere at the ground and, really, nothing compares to a match at the G.

From a financial/membership/football perspective, moving from the G when we did was a mistake.

At a time when we had the world at our feet, those in charge lacked vision. Instead of capitalising on our dominance from 99-01 we capped most of our crowds for $s.

We had a grand idea of turning Ethiad into a sea of red and black, except for the second tier which is notoriously underpopulated and the difficulty getting people into the ground when the stadium is close to capacity.

I suppose having the electricity/power up thing makes up for it all...we might as well play 'who let the dogs out'.

The fact that all the really important games get played at the MCG is reason enough to move back there. Our new training venue is having ovals custom built to MGC size isn't it?

How did you come to that conclusion.

We have an excellent deal with the stadium.

We are the only side that can have no one turn up and still have etihad cut us a cheque.

I prefer going to The Dome, simpy because it's easier, and better on cold winter nights.

However I'd prefer that our side played most games at the G, simply because it's where the important finals are; I'd prefer us to have afamiliarity and advtanage there, like we seem to have at The Dome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Etihad or MCG?

Back