Everything you love about – Lindsay Gilbee

Remove this Banner Ad

Truly made his mark in 2005 and took that next step…his blistering role as a long kicking running defender made everyone sit up and take notice everyone else that is (except if you are a bulldog supporter and already knew what he was capable of) and to think we nearly lost him. He became reborn again under Eade who assured him that he was a wanted and a required player.

Lindsay was unlucky to miss AA selection in 2005. He will again be an integral part of the group in 2006.

Thoughts?

Not getting AA selection for mine was disappointing for the guy. How Rhode couldn't see that he had talent is an indictment on his abilities as a coach. My only query with Lindsay Gilbee is how much more imporevement he has in him.

FrediKanoute said:
My only query with Lindsay Gilbee is how much more imporevement he has in him.

He was almost AA, any improvement we get out of him is a bonus :)

He is possibly the best kick in the AFL, he is one of the most damaging defenders in the AFL, one of the best long kicks for goal in the AFL and more importantly he is a funky fellow and my favourite player

I used to have Troy Makepace/Lindsay Gilbee arguments with a friend who thought he would never be as good as the Mediator. He well and truley had his pants pulled down this season

The_Flying_Egg said:
He is possibly the best kick in the AFL, he is one of the most damaging defenders in the AFL, one of the best long kicks for goal in the AFL and more importantly he is a funky fellow and my favourite player

He is exciting to watch and also precise in pinpointing his kicks.

I just love his quiet, arrogant and unemotional game.

Never smiles, never punches the air.

Kicks a lazy goal from 55 metres out, and while the ball is in the air is sprinting bacl to the back-lines...

pure class.

FrediKanoute said:
Not getting AA selection for mine was disappointing for the guy. How Rhode couldn't see that he had talent is an indictment on his abilities as a coach. My only query with Lindsay Gilbee is how much more imporevement he has in him.

Any more improvement and he'd take Charlie home this year - Although disappointing he missed out on AA it actually works in his favour as the expectation on him isn't as great

He is a very good player with some of the best kicking skills seen at the club for a while. His ability to deliver the ball to a leading forward could be a real consideration of potentially moving him into a more midfield type role rather than being played in defence.

He is also excellent around the club and is very mature for his age.

FrediKanoute said:
My only query with Lindsay Gilbee is how much more imporevement he has in him.

If he plays as well as he did this year for the next 5 then I would be happy, what I am saying is, he doesn't actually have to improve that much to still be dammn good.

But I think that is similar to Wallace foolishly telling Powell and Montgommery that he didn't think they could improve anymore before he traded them.

Gilbee has really only just played his first full season in the firsts, he still has plenty of upside

As stated above, great kick of the football. Dare I say it - a handy attribute for a footballer. Eade obviously knows his business and wasn't going to let Gilbee go anywhere. It was great to see him play in the IR series too.

Curly5 said:
Mo7 will tell you that Lindsay is also a wonderful ambassador for the club, having attended several Barwon Bulldogs supporter group functions and making a great impression on everyone.

I bet he makes a great impression on everyone :D ofcourse, I am referring to his ambassadorship and his great footballing skills. Ok, Ok from a female point of view he is also very easy on the eye.

I am a big Gilbee fan. I love watching him carry the ball and pin point passes. He's the best kick we've had in a LONG time. My comment about improvement is probably more to do with how well he will cope this year with the extra attention that he will be getting. Its fair to say that his breakout season last year caught a few clubs by surprise (especially early on) and given his drive out of the backline I wonder whether he had another string to his bow in being able to deal with opposition coaches forcing him to be more accountable. That's the improvement I see Gilbee needing to add to his game.

FrediKanoute said:
being able to deal with opposition coaches forcing him to be more accountable.

Agree with this - I suspect that Eade will continue to try and free him up though as whilst his kicking under pressure is good, his kicking when in space is the best in the league. Watching the coaches manouvre to win this battle will be entertaining in 2006 - I dont think Gilbee will have to act as a close checking player for more than a few minutes at a time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my two favourite gilbee moments in 2005 were the pinpoint pass to grant at the gabba, brissy flooded back and somehow he found the great man in little more than 2 metres of space. the second against wallets mob where he picked the ball of his laces and dobbed a goal from around 50 in one foul swoop!

Yesterday at training Faulkner took a mark in the back pocket. He took the safe option and went long around the boundary to Street who marked. Eade pulled them all up and sent to back to the positions they were in and had Faulkner take the kick again. Faulner unloaded towards the middle of the ground and his kick easily carried the pack at centre half back, Gilbee skirted around the pack gathered the ball and drilled it from inside the centre square all in one motion. It was sheer poetry.

Then he just turned and trotted back to his position with his head down.

localyokel said:
Yesterday at training Faulkner took a mark in the back pocket. He took the safe option and went long around the boundary to Street who marked. Eade pulled them all up and sent to back to the positions they were in and had Faulkner take the kick again. Faulner unloaded towards the middle of the ground and his kick easily carried the pack at centre half back, Gilbee skirted around the pack gathered the ball and drilled it from inside the centre square all in one motion. It was sheer poetry.

Then he just turned and trotted back to his position with his head down.
freakish ability,to think he was nearly lost to us thanks mastermind:eek:

localyokel said:
Gilbee skirted around the pack gathered the ball and drilled it from inside the centre square all in one motion. It was sheer poetry.

This is what is so exciting about him, he backs himself and just goes for it. I hope we see a lot of this from him this season. I for one, love seeing that sort of stuff.

FrediKanoute said:
My comment about improvement is probably more to do with how well he will cope this year with the extra attention that he will be getting. Its fair to say that his breakout season last year caught a few clubs by surprise (especially early on) and given his drive out of the backline I wonder whether he had another string to his bow in being able to deal with opposition coaches forcing him to be more accountable. That's the improvement I see Gilbee needing to add to his game.

I think that is a fair call; he will cop more attention this year and teams will look to exploit him, they will drag him out of the play etc. I think he needs to spoil better in the air and his second efforts and tackling must continue to improve.

Curly5 said:
Mo7 will tell you that Lindsay is also a wonderful ambassador for the club, having attended several Barwon Bulldogs supporter group functions and making a great impression on everyone.

As our Player Ambassador - where would you like me to start?

I will say he has matured over the years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything you love about – Lindsay Gilbee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back