Exodus watch! (Opposition supporters post trade rumours here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon part of the reason we took him so high was that they thought he could transfer into the midfield. I think he definitely has all the tools to become a midfielder. I've been pleasantly surprised with his contested work which I think has been more impressive than his outside work (not taking away from that he's still very good kick, not elite, but very good)

If I am rude, I apologize. I know how some opposition supporters feel about outsiders coming in.

Just wanted to know if Docherty could possibly develope into a midfielder? Cheers.

more likely than Ashton Agar becoming a test spinner, but seriously he was given a bit of time in the midfield and he showed encouraging signs in the reserves too, far from a finished product though will take 2 more yearsto develop you'd think

more likely than Ashton Agar becoming a test spinner, but seriously he was given a bit of time in the midfield and he showed encouraging signs in the reserves too, far from a finished product though will take 2 more yearsto develop you'd think
That name change bit me on the bum didn't it! Haha.

Still have hopes for him.

Thanks for the info. :)

If I am rude, I apologize. I know how some opposition supporters feel about outsiders coming in.

Just wanted to know if Docherty could possibly develope into a midfielder? Cheers.

No bother mate certainly not being rude.

Docherty IMO is a classical HBF/midfielder. Certainly has the potential to play long minutes in the midfield and has a long kick on him which is well utilised coming out of the backline. I'm on the bandwagon, will be shattered if he walks.

Did they bring her to the meeting where they told members that they were being shafted out of their reserved seats? ;)
lol, she was not there......

'Boys club' as I stated earlier, one of the players family has told me the same thing only that his family is in QLD so I doubt he would feel that far removed and isolated. The 3 Rs really need to mingle with the Vic Metro boys a lot more, even Lester made it a resolution to get more involved with the senior group earlier this year.

Really disappointed with the news on Doc, can't be homesickness the guy comes from Phillip island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I don't think it is homesickness. It is a result of several issues IMO. The turmoil at the club would be a huge factor. Melbourne clubs are circling Docherty like vultures as well.

Or maybe his manager is doing his job and trying to get Sam (and himself) more money by taking advantage of the situation here. Pushing up a players contract happens all the time, I'm hoping he stays but if he does, it will be for more money than we've offered IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL just need to bring in an across the board retention allowance for teams with lists that have more than 80 percent of players from interstate.

If a Collingwood think retention allowances give teams an unfair leg up, they are most welcome to stack their list with Western Australians and South Australians. West Coast can stack their lists with Victorians. For some reason I don't think they would though... which would be quite telling.

Exactly the same as the last retention allowance. Every team was eligible yet none of the clubs who insisted it was an unfair leg-up seemed bothered to cash in on it...

The AFL just need to bring in an across the board retention allowance for teams with lists that have more than 80 percent of players from interstate.

If a Collingwood think retention allowances give teams an unfair leg up, they are most welcome to stack their list with Western Australians and South Australians. West Coast can stack their lists with Victorians. For some reason I don't think they would though... which would be quite telling.

Exactly the same as the last retention allowance. Every team was eligible yet none of the clubs who insisted it was an unfair leg-up seemed bothered to cash in on it...

No way in hell the rich clubs would allow new retention allowance when they are discussing profit sharing to assist us poorer clubs :cool:

No way in hell the rich clubs would allow new retention allowance when they are discussing profit sharing to assist us poorer clubs :cool:

Probably not, but whether they would allow it isn't really my point.

I partly agree. I think the problem with the retention allowance was that the bar was too high, meaning realistically only Brisbane or Sydney were likely to meet it. I don't think setting the bar even higher would be seen as an acceptable compromise.

A decision has been made on the retention allowance, and while I don't think it's totally consistent with Sydney's COLA, which is effectively a retention allowance, we need to find other solutions. The club needs to be pro-active in coming up with alternative suggestions.

I don't know what the current rules are on how much we can support players' study and lifestyle outside of the salary cap, but maybe we can get some leeway in that space. The best way to retain players in a new city is give them some kind of buy-in to that city. Get them into permanent study, or into local community or recreational organisations, or connect them with local businesses, and give us the financial means to support that.

A retention allowance could be scaleable too. I mean, homesickness is an issue which potentially impacts on all clubs. If the fall of a Victorian club's draft picks in a year means that WA boys are the best available, then they should get some allowance for drafting them, just as we would. Obviously, a scaleable system would then mean a greater allowance for clubs with a greater proportion of interstaters.

Maybe every club's salary cap should be proportional to how many on their list were originally from interstate.

A retention allowance could be scaleable too. I mean, homesickness is an issue which potentially impacts on all clubs. If the fall of a Victorian club's draft picks in a year means that WA boys are the best available, then they should get some allowance for drafting them, just as we would. Obviously, a scaleable system would then mean a greater allowance for clubs with a greater proportion of interstaters.

Yeah was going to suggest a sliding scale system. Makes sense.

Perhaps some form of arbitration/intervention from the AFL to ensure that trades are equitable as far as possible would help. Serious enough that we are losing some quality young players but if we get screwed on the trade as well then our bad position just compounds.

For example, if the WCE were only prepared to offer a third round pick for Yeo and we believed a second round pick was fair then we both clubs could ask the AFL to arbitrate and decide. May protect clubs more vulnerable to homesickness like us.

Perhaps some form of arbitration/intervention from the AFL to ensure that trades are equitable as far as possible would help. Serious enough that we are losing some quality young players but if we get screwed on the trade as well then our bad position just compounds.

For example, if the WCE were only prepared to offer a third round pick for Yeo and we believed a second round pick was fair then we both clubs could ask the AFL to arbitrate and decide. May protect clubs more vulnerable to homesickness like us.

It would be nice but it is all so subjective isn't it?

They do sometimes mediate trade negotiations.

I don't think that would go down too well. The AFL really want clubs to be autonomous and thus accountable. Giving the AFL discretionary powers to make arbitrary decisions about drafting and drafting 'fairness' wouldn't work as well IMO as a strictly defined sliding scale system like POBT and TheBrownDog were discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back