F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

haha yeah when I saw the news.com.au article describe him as "Veteran Formula 1 journalist Joel Saward" I had a good chuckle......Saward has way more misses than hits.

But yeah like you said, Helmut's words are the ones we need to pay attention to
Hasn't Helmut being saying this for ages? This is all part of the Helmut v Christian power battle isn't it? Doesn't look to be too much actual "news" in this.

haha yeah when I saw the news.com.au article describe him as "Veteran Formula 1 journalist Joel Saward" I had a good chuckle......Saward has way more misses than hits.

But yeah like you said, Helmut's words are the ones we need to pay attention to
They always prefix his name with Veteran Journalist, like they do with Caroline Wilson. It's almost a legal requirement at this point.

I know you're all sitting here, just as shocked to read this as I am. Stroll gets to continue driving for the team owned by his father. Shocking...
You're just jealous because your son cut off your hand :p

Should never have left Red Bull when he did.

The Renault move in particular was poor. McLaren was just 2 or 3 years too early.
I’m sorry, but he was a race winner and compared to Max was being paid absolute peanuts.
Then came a godfather offer from Renault.
It wasn’t so much he wanted to move, but when it comes to money and the limited time you have in F1, just take the money.

Should never have left Red Bull when he did.

The Renault move in particular was poor. McLaren was just 2 or 3 years too early.
In hindsight sure, but I don’t think he ever wanted to be anything but the big cheese at RBR, which never would have happened if he’d stayed there. Leaving Renault for McLaren was the dumb move IMO, killed his confidence and Cyril’s career when he jumped ship. He put that Renault in places it should never have been, especially in 2020.

Leaving Renault for McLaren was the dumb move IMO, killed his confidence and Cyril’s career when he jumped ship. He put that Renault in places it should never have been, especially in 2020.

I don't know if Daniel himself has said it but the big speculation was that he left Renault because of issues with the higher ups. $20m a year from McLaren wouldn't have hurt either.

I don't know if Daniel himself has said it but the big speculation was that he left Renault because of issues with the higher ups. $20m a year from McLaren wouldn't have hurt either.
Wasn't the talk that he was actually negotiating with McLaren in 2018, but the seat wasn't available so signed with Renault for 2 basically as a temporary switch until something was available at McLaren.

Points for our boy this weekend.
Hopefully it quietness the dogs for a few weeks.
Too little, too late. The only question is when the axe comes down, not if...

Will they pull the plug at the end of this triple-header, after Silverstone next Sunday? Or, will they wait until the mid-season break, after Singapore?

There's a very good chance that Ricciardo just completed the penultimate F1 GP of his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too little, too late. The only question is when the axe comes down, not if...

Will they pull the plug at the end of this triple-header, after Silverstone next Sunday? Or, will they wait until the mid-season break, after Singapore?

There's a very good chance that Ricciardo just completed the penultimate F1 GP of his career.

If he's outperforming Tsunoda there's no chance he gets let go.

There absolutely is.

That team exists as a feeder team for the Red Bull. Perez is now signed up again, Daniel won't therefore be going back into that seat and is therefore superfluous for them. Makes so much more sense to let Lawson develop in it and then promote him to Sergio's seat when the time lines up.

You are kidding, right?

Tsunoda, like Perez, is there because of the $$$$ he brings in. In Tsunoda's case, his employment is almost certainly dictated by Honda (Red Bull's engine supplier). Tsunoda could finish 20th every race, and he'd still have a gig.

The reality is that Red Bull want Lawson in the VCARB before the end of the season. Max, Perez & Tsunoda are all contracted for 2025. That leaves Ricciardo as the one left standing when the music stops. The only question is how long they're willing to let the music play?

They gave Ricciardo the VCARB seat as an option for replacing Perez in the Red Bull team. With Perez now re-signed, there's no longer any reason to retain Ricciardo's services, regardless of how well he is currently performing.

The only benefit to keeping Ricciardo around now is the feedback he gives the engineers, for improving the car. Apparently they don't get that from Tsunoda. This is not sufficient to retain him ahead of Lawson in the medium-long term.

As I said before, Ricciardo's F1 career is almost over. The only question is whether it ends after Silverstone, or if he can hang on until Singapore.

Couldn’t they just demote Perez?
Or put him in a secondary role.
Just because he has a contract doesn’t guarantee him a seat unless it’s specifically mentioned in that contract.
As the others catch up to Max he needs a rear gunner, and Perez has shown that’s not him. Yesterday would not have happened if Perez qualified in the top 3.

Couldn’t they just demote Perez?
Or put him in a secondary role.
Just because he has a contract doesn’t guarantee him a seat unless it’s specifically mentioned in that contract.
As the others catch up to Max he needs a rear gunner, and Perez has shown that’s not him. Yesterday would not have happened if Perez qualified in the top 3.
I would think the money Perez brings only comes if he's in the car.

He'd be inconsistent but would have some great races and some bad races.
Perez just seems to have bad races.
Perez finished on the podium in 4 of the first 5 races. Since then, Mercedes, Ferrari & McLaren have all caught up (as witnessed by Verstappen's reduced winning margins). Perez' results reflect the loss of the Red Bull's car dominance.

I fail to see any evidence that Tsunoda is a better driver than Perez. Both owe their current gigs to the sponsorship dollars that they bring in, and neither are on the same level as the likes of Max, Lando, Oscar, Sainz, LeClerc, Hamilton & Russell.

There's no way Tsunoda qualifies in the top-3 either.

Ferrari, McLaren & Mercedes all have 2x A-drivers. Red Bull have an A+ and a B- driver. That works OK for them when their car is dominant, as it was in 2023 - but the others have all closed that gap in 2024.

Tsunoda is a B- driver, the same as Perez. Possibly even C-grade.

Perez finished on the podium in 4 of the first 5 races. Since then, Mercedes, Ferrari & McLaren have all caught up (as witnessed by Verstappen's reduced winning margins). Perez' results reflect the loss of the Red Bull's car dominance.

I fail to see any evidence that Tsunoda is a better driver than Perez. Both owe their current gigs to the sponsorship dollars that they bring in, and neither are on the same level as the likes of Max, Lando, Oscar, Sainz, LeClerc, Hamilton & Russell.
Tsunoda has driven pretty well in a pretty average car this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back