Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Simmo jeopardise his million dollar payout for 2025, by taking up an assistant job?

Or would WC be on the hook for the difference between his assistant coach salary and the balance of his payout?
Depends on the wording of his contract and payout. Taking a new job should not result in the loss of benefits from the previous one. I don't believe non-competes exist in the AFL world, although they're also not generally enforceable in Australia anyway.

Fair dinkum? I have a few colleagues and ex-colleagues in the finance sector who would probably be interested in this!
I did an intro to contract law in uni, so I am by no means an expert but from memory, it comes down to it being illegal for an employer/ex-employer barring someone from plying their trade/expertise to earn a living.

I did an intro to contract law in uni, so I am by no means an expert but from memory, it comes down to it being illegal for an employer/ex-employer barring someone from plying their trade/expertise to earn a living.
Makes sense. Actually now I think about it I think the nuance is more about "yes we can't stop you going to a rival firm but you're not allowed to steal our clients".

Fair dinkum? I have a few colleagues and ex-colleagues in the finance sector who would probably be interested in this!
Yeah - they can do "gardening leave" where they continue to pay you and you don't work at a competitor, but they can't prevent you from joining another company if the contract has ceased.

That doesn't prevent many companies from including unenforceable clauses in contracts (mine actually does for example) and making threats with the hope that the idea of legal action will effectively work even if it legally can't.
Makes sense. Actually now I think about it I think the nuance is more about "yes we can't stop you going to a rival firm but you're not allowed to steal our clients".
There's definitely other rules about poaching customers. I think it's broadly legal but if and only if you approach them after ceasing employment with your previous employer. If you make any approaches or expressions of interest prior to quitting and joining/starting a new firm, you're in trouble. However often customers will walk to the new company of their own regard if they value that personal relationship sufficiently - and that's legal too.

There's definitely other rules about poaching customers. I think it's broadly legal but if and only if you approach them after ceasing employment with your previous employer. If you make any approaches or expressions of interest prior to quitting and joining/starting a new firm, you're in trouble. However often customers will walk to the new company of their own regard if they value that personal relationship sufficiently - and that's legal too.
My understanding of this one is that it is a very grey area. There is some no no's that I know of like, informing a client who would've signed a contract previously that you are ending your employment there in a few weeks and they should hold off signing etc. Something that is actively working against the company that is employing you.
But customers following you to your new company because they prefer their relationship with you rather than the company is fine but can result in, as you have said threats of legal action etc.

Yeah - they can do "gardening leave" where they continue to pay you and you don't work at a competitor, but they can't prevent you from joining another company if the contract has ceased.

That doesn't prevent many companies from including unenforceable clauses in contracts (mine actually does for example) and making threats with the hope that the idea of legal action will effectively work even if it legally can't.

Lots of contract law/intellectual property law cases about things like client lists/databases. Most litigation ends up being about that stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macquarie Bank tried coming after me after I left and started calling my clients....they back off when my new employer pushed back. I've seen it enough times now that its all just a way to delay you from calling clients up.

Did you know we have not lost a game since Dew joined the club?

Coincidence?

I think not.

What happened to Dews head in your avatar?? Are you ashamed of dews face. You coward!

Wonder how kosher it would be for Fages to catch up with Simmo for a coffee on Saturday morning...
I think Simmons needs a break away for a while. He's looked mentally cooked for a bit now. I'm not saying we wouldn't be interested in him joining us, but for everyone's sake he looks like he needs a long holiday before he starts coaching again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back