Analysis Season 2024 - Statistics and Analytics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

20240710_201944.jpg

On par with last year now. Swans ahead in more but have dropped off in a big way as teams have learned how to play their style. Going to be interesting to see if they find a plan B. 9th in the comp for time in front in the last 6 weeks, so not a one or two week thing.

View attachment 2044646

On par with last year now. Swans ahead in more but have dropped off in a big way as teams have learned how to play their style. Going to be interesting to see if they find a plan B. 9th in the comp for time in front in the last 6 weeks, so not a one or two week thing.
I too took a snapshot of this. Got the other ones too for comparison:

20240710_193419.jpg 20240710_193456.jpg 20240710_193530.jpg 20240710_193555.jpg 20240710_193626.jpg

I guess it just goes to show you can use the data to tell you anything you want. If you want to listen to Hoyney, he will tell you our defensive profile is awful and needs work if we are contend. Whereas these stats makes it look like we are in pretty good shape.

The trick is in the sample size: Joey is using the full season whereas Hoyney is going off the last 6 weeks.

Pick your poison.

View attachment 2044651View attachment 2044652View attachment 2044653View attachment 2044654View attachment 2044655

I guess it just goes to show you can use the data to tell you anything you want. If you want to listen to Hoyney, he will tell you our defensive profile is awful and needs work if we are contend. Whereas these stats makes it look like we are in pretty good shape.

The trick is in the sample size: Joey is using the full season whereas Hoyney is going off the last 6 weeks.

Pick your poison.

I'd say that makes ours even more impressive given our lack of wins at the start of the year.

View attachment 2044651View attachment 2044652View attachment 2044653View attachment 2044654View attachment 2044655

Pick your poison.
Elixuh Why wouldn't you put this in the beautiful stats thread?

I'd really like to know if Hoyney's rankings are on the basis of actual points against - or expected points against.

I can see why they would be on the basis of actual points against, as you clearly can't rank on the basis of expected points for as you are responsible for your own conversion.

But I do think our recent defensive stats are being made to look a little bit worse by oppo conversion comparative to what some other teams have faced. Adelaide were nearly 3 goals better than expected, St Kilda nearly 2 goals. Our other opponents were all very close to their expected score.

Clearly need to tidy up our transition defence and our scores per inside 50 against, but given we are #1 for inside 50 differential a lot of aspects of our defensive profile are working.

There's a trade off to our aggressive forward press to win the ball back high, and that is that if teams do get through there are opportunities out the back against us.

I'd really like to know if Hoyney's rankings are on the basis of actual points against - or expected points against.

I can see why they would be on the basis of actual points against, as you clearly can't rank on the basis of expected points for as you are responsible for your own conversion.

But I do think our recent defensive stats are being made to look a little bit worse by oppo conversion comparative to what some other teams have faced. Adelaide were nearly 3 goals better than expected, St Kilda nearly 2 goals. Our other opponents were all very close to their expected score.

Clearly need to tidy up our transition defence and our scores per inside 50 against, but given we are #1 for inside 50 differential a lot of aspects of our defensive profile are working.

There's a trade off to our aggressive forward press to win the ball back high, and that is that if teams do get through there are opportunities out the back against us.

Nunez we got our first victim to having the same avatar!

Happy Kieran Culkin GIF by SuccessionHBO

I’ve watched a fair bit of the footy this season and using the eye test our defence has always looked significantly better overall than most teams, perhaps Sydney aside, when factoring in balancing attack and defence.

I tend to agree with the view that we seem happy to concede a few goals that we see every week…eg where the oppo move the ball on turnover like it’s a training drill…to better gear and balance the way we want to attack and score…so some of the goals we concede can make it look a bit flaky

Expected score ladder after round 18 - #2 offence, #2 defence on xscore.

The Eagles were 2 goals better than their expected score.

Our defence started to look really shaky with Starce and Payne out on top of the 3 ACL defenders + Answerth. Wouldn’t be surprised to see our defensive stats drop off a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our defence started to look really shaky with Starce and Payne out on top of the 3 ACL defenders + Answerth. Wouldn’t be surprised to see our defensive stats drop off a bit.
They are. If we look at recent weeks, we are:

• #13 for conceding shots at goal
  • #14 for total points conceded
  • #12 for conceding marks on a lead
  • #16 for being able to rebound out of our defensive 50
  • #18 for conceding scoring shots per inside 50 against
  • #9 for conceding points from turnover
All that despite being ranked #5 for conceding inside 50s.

These are 7 of the 18 premiership metrics Champion Data track. They are defined as such where at least 10 of the last 12 premiers have been top 6 in each category.

Currently this profile is better than only West Coast, North and Richmond, and (just) worse than Carlton's which is copping it in the media at the moment.

They are. If we look at recent weeks, we are:

• #13 for conceding shots at goal
  • #14 for total points conceded
  • #12 for conceding marks on a lead
  • #16 for being able to rebound out of our defensive 50
  • #18 for conceding scoring shots per inside 50 against
  • #9 for conceding points from turnover
All that despite being ranked #5 for conceding inside 50s.

These are 7 of the 18 premiership metrics Champion Data track. They are defined as such where at least 10 of the last 12 premiers have been top 6 in each category.

Currently this profile is better than only West Coast, North and Richmond, and (just) worse than Carlton's which is copping it in the media at the moment.

My worry is we are playing a fifth or sixth string defender, Lester’s form has tailed off, McKenna is horrendously out of form. I think they’re going to have to create an out of the box solution if Payne is out for 6 weeks or we will lose games based on where the defence is trending.

Harris can’t do it all.

My worry is we are playing a fifth or sixth string defender, Lester’s form has tailed off, McKenna is horrendously out of form. I think they’re going to have to create an out of the box solution if Payne is out for 6 weeks or we will lose games based on where the defence is trending.

Harris can’t do it all.

I say **** it, let's just kick 130+ and cop the opposition scoring 100. Full ham attack time baby!

Harris can’t do it all.
Please do not mention McKenna in here... I'm worried I will derail the thread 😂🤦

I say **** it, let's just kick 130+ and cop the opposition scoring 100. Full ham attack time baby!

lol this is actually the alternative I think. Full scorched earth mfker

Harris can’t do it all.

Yeah we've got McKenna, Zorko and Lester there who can't defend. Harris is average when not intercept marking.

Just carrying too many guys who can't play a defensive role and when teams run hard and shut down our run off half back really struggle to influence the game

McKenna needs to be aggressive with his run, not his kicking

Per the last Injury Report both Starc and Noah are available this week although would they bring Noah in immediately; Starc they would no doubt?

Per the last Injury Report both Starc and Noah are available this week although would they bring Noah in immediately; Starc they would no doubt?
I wouldn't take Starce as a guaranteed in. It was a pretty bad hit and if they miss any milestones they tend to take another week.

If we want to stiffen the defence, it really should be McKenna out and Brain staying. I love Answerth as a lock-down but he has had a few weeks off and tends to come in a bit rusty especially with his kicking. Brain is fit and in relatively good form.

Analysis Season 2024 - Statistics and Analytics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back