Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't think Fages is that bad tactically, if you consider 'backing your players in' as a genuine in game tactic. He clearly has insitlled a system that works so making dramatic personnel changes makes little sense for a team like us
Tactics isn't our strong suit but it's a luxury coaches can mostly afford if they have good players.

I don't think there's any doubt that Kingsley is a good coach but because he coaches GWS where they draw under 20k for a cut throat final he tends to get off scot free. There's just not the media interest in bagging him. The narrative is that he's basically doing a very good job.

If Brisbane had produced exactly what GWS did in its two finals Fagan would have had an outburst of criticism like you've never seen. Because the talking heads in the media have run with the story that Brisbane have the best list but are flakey under pressure for some time and they'd just love to double down on it with the Itoldyas every time we stumble.

Fwiiw I think we overrate some of our players and are a good side but not there as a champion one.
Could not agree more with the bolded, they'd be saying Fagan has lost the playing group.:rolleyes:

Just on King, do people realise that the more we click on his clips, watch his shows and make comments on his rubbish, the air time he gets. Just ignore everything he says. Nothing will hurt him more.

I dunno, he got pretty mad on twitter last night lol.

I dunno, he got pretty mad on twitter last night lol.

Yeah normally I’d agree with clicks but his pea brain was genuinely triggered last night hahaha

I don't think there's any doubt that Kingsley is a good coach but because he coaches GWS where they draw under 20k for a cut throat final he tends to get off scot free. There's just not the media interest in bagging him. The narrative is that he's basically doing a very good job.

If Brisbane had produced exactly what GWS did in its two finals Fagan would have had an outburst of criticism like you've never seen. Because the talking heads in the media have run with the story that Brisbane have the best list but are flakey under pressure for some time and they'd just love to double down on it with the Itoldyas every time we stumble.

Fwiiw I think we overrate some of our players and are a good side but not there as a champion one.

I think it’s because Kingsley is a second year coach who took a GWS side that was heading into a potential rebuild last year and reinvigorated them into a contender. The players were down and blue in Leon Cameron’s last few years and they had finished 16th in 2022.

I really don't think Fages is that bad tactically, if you consider 'backing your players in' as a genuine in game tactic. He clearly has insitlled a system that works so making dramatic personnel changes makes little sense for a team like us

There was a video of Clarkson commenting on Fagan and Scott with game tactics and he said they're both strong which seemed to surprise Lloyd when he asked the question. Clarkson is someone who would definitely know if Fagan is any good with the tactics of the game. Goes against what most say about the lions and their coaches.

There was a video of Clarkson commenting on Fagan and Scott with game tactics and he said they're both strong which seemed to surprise Lloyd when he asked the question. Clarkson is someone who would definitely know if Fagan is any good with the tactics of the game. Goes against what most say about the lions and their coaches.
That doesn't surprise me tbh, as if Fagan was director of coaching for a very successful team and then head coach for another successful coach while being tactically inept

To be clear all this stuff about tactics and being tactically astute, it’s 99% optics. Some coaches are simply more willing than others to make more frequent tactical moves. I think that’s what it comes down to.

There is only one coach in the league who imo is a tactical spud and that’s Simon ‘degenerate’ Goodwin.

Whether it is Fagan, or the introduction of Dew (or others), I think we have been better tactically this year. With so many injuries to our starting 22 early on, it has been a tremendous effort to shift personnel into and around the side to win two finals (and hopefully more).

Saturday night was a great example. Zorko being tagged at HB, subbed out Morris to bring in McKenna to generate run and get Zorko dangerous in the front half. Ah Chee to a defensive HF role on Whitfield limiting his run. Ashcroft more time inside to chop Neale out from the Bedford attention and generate momentum at the stoppages.

In fairness, changes like this probably happen within games each week that go somewhat unnoticed. However, it is nice for Fagan and the coaches when they come off so overtly.

I hope it extends into this week. Scott, in my opinion, is the best coach in the AFL and will have multiple plans for players and scenarios. I think the game will be won in the midfield (helps with Big O in good form), and the form of our half forward line (Rayner, Bailey, Cameron, Lohmann versus the Cats backs). I have more confidence in Fagan this year, compared to 2022, to come with a robust plan and execute.

I have knocked Fagan in the past, but his performance this year has been very impressive (especially with the backdrop of the Hawthorn racism human rights case). If he can get us through - and secure another win the week after - it would be one of the more impressive coaching performances that I can recall.

Fages is just an easy target. He didn’t play AFL, coaches a team in Brisbane who the media often lay the boot in without much push back and is clearly jealous of Fages for some reason.

Maybe it’s because King failed so miserably as an assistant that he hates on coaches such as Fages because he’s doing so bloody well and King just can’t handle it in a very juvenile way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s because Kingsley is a second year coach who took a GWS side that was heading into a potential rebuild last year and reinvigorated them into a contender. The players were down and blue in Leon Cameron’s last few years and they had finished 16th in 2022.

Was it tactics or was it unreal goalkicking accuracy from a few players (e.g. Hogan) papering over some significant cracks in GWS' game?

If everyone in the comp had kicked to expectation, they'd have finished well outside the 8:

Both gold coast and us kicked so badly there was a 10 goal turnaround from expected score to the actual results.

To their credit, I reckon that GWS were significantly better in their 2 finals than they were for much of their mickey mouse run late in the season. And obviously, good goal kicking is good footy, that can't be discounted. But their opponent kicking so inaccurately (and particularly from set shots) isn't something they control.

But then they lost both games when they should have won on expected score - goalkicking accuracy is pretty volatile and it turned on them at the worst moment.

Last edited:
Was it tactics or was it unreal goalkicking accuracy from a few players (e.g. Hogan) papering over some significant cracks in GWS' game?

If everyone in the comp had kicked to expectation, they'd have finished well outside the 8:

Both gold coast and us kicked so badly there was a 10 goal turnaround from expected score to the actual results.

To their credit, I reckon that GWS were significantly better in their 2 finals than they were for much of their mickey mouse run late in the season. And obviously, good goal kicking is good footy, that can't be discounted. But their opponent kicking so inaccurately (and particularly from set shots) isn't something they control.

But then they lost both games when they should have won one expected score - goalkicking accuracy is pretty volatile and it turned on them at the worst moment.

I get all that and the arguments re expected score etc. which just proves the point that kicking for goal is one of if not the most important factor in footy that is within your control.

As Louie and Jack used to say every week Bad kicking is Bad football.

I get all that and the arguments re expected score etc. which just proves the point that kicking for goal is one of if not the most important factor in footy that is within your control.

As Louie and Jack used to say every week Bad kicking is Bad football.

Correct, but even more important than your own kicking for goal is your opponents being the three stooges and comically missing.

But then they lost both games when they should have won on expected score - goalkicking accuracy is pretty volatile and it turned on them at the worst moment.

Cool.

But that was yesterday dude.

I love you, hi5 :)

We are Geelong of 2022.....and THEY are the Lions......

AT BEST.

They can't be us, and they can't beat us :)

/peace

I love Fages, and do not want to lose him. But we have to admit that tactically, we were completely out coached last night. We desperately need some tactical nouse in the coaching box.
We have no plan B. I hope Dew stays around and we can work out a few alternatives in the off season.

But for now… onwards and upwards! Life is good 😊

Is that you Kingy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back