Falls Creek Documentary - first to fourth years

Remove this Banner Ad

I was wondering why they had footage of last preseason for the first years players, yet I had never heard of this apparent bad preseason.

Most likely is that they planned on making a documentary like now, but chose not to release it due to the poor performance.

Not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

Interesting point of Daveron. Looks like he enjoys a few four n twentys and VBs himself. How's that for a fitness trainer. He probably couldn't even run 5km himself.
Whats your best time over 5km?

I was wondering why they had footage of last preseason for the first years players, yet I had never heard of this apparent bad preseason.

Most likely is that they planned on making a documentary like now, but chose not to release it due to the poor performance.

Not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

and They showed Video of Players having Snickers in there Tents

Wow, that is interesting. The first to fourth year boys came back unfit last year, not good, and they were not happy about it either. Telling.

Also interesting to hear Frosty say how close they all are, and to see some of the camaraderie. On that basis we can build team chemistry, which can be the X factor in successful teams.

I really really really really really dislike hearing this kind of retrospective snowjob... Can we drag out the preseason videos from last year and see if anyone from the club was saying that training was ordinary? ...."oooohh by the way, we were crap last year"...

It begs the question, if they didnt tell us about the crap training last year, then why should I believe all these claims about the good training this year???

I wait to see what happens in the season.

I really really really really really dislike hearing this kind of retrospective snowjob... Can we drag out the preseason videos from last year and see if anyone from the club was saying that training was ordinary? ...."oooohh by the way, we were crap last year"...

It begs the question, if they didnt tell us about the crap training last year, then why should I believe all these claims about the good training this year???

I wait to see what happens in the season.

Because that doesn't sell memberships unfortunately. $$ > Truth

Yeah fact is I believe what I see not what I'm told by people who are trying to sell something.

As people have said last year they didn't tell us they were crap at training so why should I believe them now? I'm not particularly blaming Collingwood as all football clubs constantly lie all the time about everything but I've learned to judge them on what is delivered not what is promised.

Pretty much why I stopped listening to AFL interviews as they pretty much never tell you anything of substance due to how the media will hound them if they are honest.

The fact is everyone has an agenda..... the club media is trying to sell memberships.... the so-called sports journalists are trying to sell newspapers etc.... very few of these people are concerned with the truth. And the question is ....as Johnny Cash posed......what is the truth?

The proof will be in the pudding as they saying goes. Last pre-season saw quite a number of our blokes having surgery or otherwise impacted programs throughout. I'd be surprised if some players didn't have stand out pre-seasons last year - it just seems that this year we have almost no serious injuries and only a few lads with limited capacity. Perhaps that is why they are talking up this preseason?

Of course we can all take the conspiracy plot to heart and assume that the club lies about everything. Or we could take it on face value that this season is off to a flyer and last preseason was a stinker.

I'm all in on the latter but everyone has to make there own choices.

I don't think the club has lied. If they were intent on lying they would have never brought up last seasins preseason nor would they have made the doco (or released it).

Still not sure if it's shady or not that they didn't inform the members last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The proof will be in the pudding as they saying goes. Last pre-season saw quite a number of our blokes having surgery or otherwise impacted programs throughout. I'd be surprised if some players didn't have stand out pre-seasons last year - it just seems that this year we have almost no serious injuries and only a few lads with limited capacity. Perhaps that is why they are talking up this preseason?

Of course we can all take the conspiracy plot to heart and assume that the club lies about everything. Or we could take it on face value that this season is off to a flyer and last preseason was a stinker.

I'm all in on the latter but everyone has to make there own choices.

The latest video said that the younger players came back to the club unfit last year. It didnt refer to the injuries. The players basically said that they didnt have the right attitude last year...Jackson Ramsey said at 2.40 minutes that the players didnt come back at the required shape....

That was the end of 2013. Wasnt it at the 2013 Copeland ...a month or two before... that Eddie said that there were some bad attitudes at the club and we needed to get of them? Maybe I'm not following the story closely enough.

The latest video said that the younger players came back to the club unfit last year. It didnt refer to the injuries. The players basically said that they didnt have the right attitude last year...Jackson Ramsey said at 2.40 minutes that the players didnt come back at the required shape....

That was the end of 2013. Wasnt it at the 2013 Copeland ...a month or two before... that Eddie said that there were some bad attitudes at the club and we needed to get of them? Maybe I'm not following the story closely enough.
To me that still makes sense, implementing that kind of cultural change across an entire playing group wouldnt necessarily happen instantly

You know what's also interesting, is that I remember reading years ago in Tony Shaw's autobiography (A Shaw Thing) that they had a disaster of a pre-season camp in the years before the 1990 premiership.

Someone else might be able to shed a bit more light on this, but I think the underlying message was that the hardship helped to inspire that particular playing group towards future success.

Seems like this is a similar message.
I recall there was a bushwalk that the players went on where they became lost.

A gruelling Gippsland bush camp and the long hike that followed was said to be the making of the team that would eventually win a premiership. Midway through the hike, the playing group became completely lost, to the point where food and water was running perilously low. Some players became ill, others distressed, a period when the true leaders of the group became obvious.
http://m.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2010-06-09/just-released-and-ready-to-read-cakewalk

To me that still makes sense, implementing that kind of cultural change across an entire playing group wouldnt necessarily happen instantly

True.... I wouldnt expect the players to turn into self-motivated professional athletes overnight but I would expect the coaches to tell the players to maintain their fitness over the break and for the players to actually do that. For a group of players to be slack, they have to have an expectation that they wont be sacked or fined on return.

In any event, I'm not over the moon that they are actually now doing what they should have done in the past....

True.... I wouldnt expect the players to turn into self-motivated professional athletes overnight but I would expect the coaches to tell the players to maintain their fitness over the break and for the players to actually do that. For a group of players to be slack, they have to have an expectation that they wont be sacked or fined on return.

In any event, I'm not over the moon that they are actually now doing what they should have done in the past....
You'd think for afl players the bare minimum would be showing up to work in reasonable shape after christmas. I wonder if it's about not over indulging at the dinner table or more about putting in the required gym work.

I am actually pretty happy they're now performing as they should, not that I think they deserve special praise but good to see things tracking the way they should be

I recall there was a bushwalk that the players went on where they became lost.

A gruelling Gippsland bush camp and the long hike that followed was said to be the making of the team that would eventually win a premiership. Midway through the hike, the playing group became completely lost, to the point where food and water was running perilously low. Some players became ill, others distressed, a period when the true leaders of the group became obvious.
http://m.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2010-06-09/just-released-and-ready-to-read-cakewalk

Yeh that sounds about right. Obviously a different situation but similar nonetheless.

Not at all. Practice what you preach, right?

No doubting his knowledge, but I think he'd get a touch more respect if he looked the part to boot.

You're probably right re: the respect, but I'm sure he'd do all the running and what-not with them. He probably just likes a little bit too much to drink hence the gut. Fitness doesn't necessary equal weight, and as he's not a professional athlete there's no need for him to be in 'peak' condition.

I guess it was showing they where not suppose to have them

Nothing wrong with scoffing down a Snickers when you've just burnt over 8000 kilojoules in a session. In some instances it's essential to get the sugars in pretty damn quick.

Remember, too, that they're training at altitude. It's a lot harder than going for a run down at sea level.

I'm doing my own preseason right now and it's about 1/10th as hard as they're doing and I'm pretty stuffed. Can't imagine how they must be feeling right now. This video makes be bloody proud of our lads.

Nothing wrong with scoffing down a Snickers when you've just burnt over 8000 kilojoules in a session. In some instances it's essential to get the sugars in pretty damn quick.

Remember, too, that they're training at altitude. It's a lot harder than going for a run down at sea level.

I'm doing my own preseason right now and it's about 1/10th as hard as they're doing and I'm pretty stuffed. Can't imagine how they must be feeling right now. This video makes be bloody proud of our lads.

What are you training for Sherriff?

Looks like our young blokes and our media team are off to a flyer this year!
Great doco and would love to see more during the year.

What's really interesting is that I keep hearing about how poor our preseason was last year, and yet we were sitting equal second on the ladder half way through the season, and being that high was on the back of those younger players standing up, not the older blokes.

Makes you wonder just how much improvement we'll see in our younger guys considering how fit they are and how many are getting full preseasons for once?

Truely unpredictable season this year, can't wait.

I suspect increased fitness for most of them would make for more sustained performance over the season rather than huge improvements in individual games, although there will be better 4 qtr performances too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Falls Creek Documentary - first to fourth years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back