Famous DT Coaches Thread 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Im surprised a lot of coaches traded out broughton. What are the thoughts after his high scoring game on the weekend ? It looks as though he played on a wing and got a fair few side on marks late on
It was almost to be expected when you trade out an uninjured premium isn't it? :p

I think Fyfe going down along with an underdone midfielder in Mundy playing (+ them coming up against Brisbane who do not really have any dangerous small forwards) allowed Broughton to get that fantasy relevant role which we all picked him for in the first place.

Once Mundy gets his fitness back along with them coming up against some strong teams, I now think Broughton will get that shut down role on other teams dangerous forwards as he has since the start of the season (along with the last in which I held onto him a little while longer last year without winning anything in return for doing so).

Bringing in Lake didn't go quite to plan with him going Matty Scarlett on me but I believe he is every chance to reach a keeper/premium level. So whilst I could have waited a week, I've got more cash in the bank by pulling the trigger when I did as well as not having to worry if Broughton did pull out a decent score like he did as to whether I'd stay or not.

i traded out broughton for the main reason that i was $200 short of going directly from Neale to Greene, as such i had to do a second trade to make that enticing first trade. Broughton under performing and not playing in a role that i was happy with provided me with a good opportunity to do the second trade that i needed.

Don't forget that Broughton was on 25 at half time. His scoring went through the roof once Fyfe got hurt. If Fyfe is to miss significant time then I expect Broughton's scoring to go to elite levels. Unfortunately i did not predict that Fyfe would hurt himself and thus the trade looks like a bad one in hindsight. I still believe that trading Broughton out was a good play to make, it just so happens that a change in circumstance proved to be massively beneficial to Broughton.
If Fyfe does go under the knife then it might not be too long before Neale comes back into your side! ;)

Good point you raise with Broughton only being on 25 at half time and Fyfe being subbed off in the 2nd quarter.

Also shows just how high Broughton can score when he's in the right role (83 in a half!).
Would you do the unthinkable and trade him back him? I traded him to Waters and felt pretty vindicated when he was stuck on 25 at half time.

Felt sick in the guts when I saw him smack bang in the middle of Subiaco racking up possessions at will after half time.
As much as I'd like to say no, it's basically a 'never say never' sort of thing. Whilst I wouldn't want to jump back on him as his burned me by doing poorly (now the second year running) and there were reasons as to why I traded him out, if those disappeared, I wouldn't let the fact that he has previously burned me get in the way of me trading in who I think is the best target.

People often have rules such as not starting with a player over the age of 30, not trading in a midpriced player etc. While they're normally good rules to avoid as many potential risks as possible, there are always abnormalities and I find each situation has to be treated as it's own.

Having been burned by both Adcock and Dawes last season (two midpriced player I traded in) I'm fairly sure I said I wouldn't trade a midpricer in again. However, when there's something that screams value or tickles my fancy, I'm pretty quick to throw those rules out the window (Lake). Whilst he may very well end up burning me, I prefer to keep as open minded as possible and consider any and every option available.

Fyfe is the big decision this week. Will the majority of the coaches continue with the aggressive pattern so far and trade him out?

Will Tarquin continue with his tactic of doing nothing and letting his team fall further behind mine?

I am holding on Fyfe. Lots of premium forwards dropping like a stone this week. I can play Hall, hopefully does alright against the Lions. Q clashes are generally open games.

Was planing to move Fyfe to Whitecross until all the Shower hit the fan this week.
So trades were:
Out: Shaw
In: Clarke

Out: Mumford
Moved: Hale from forwards to Rucks
In: Whitecross

So still have Fyfe so in some ways happy to see him dumped so there was no cash lost. Will evaluate the rucks next week and probably trade out Fyfe, move Hale back to the Forwards and bring in a gun ruck!

I didn't want the zero and with so many out this week, was staring down that barrel!

Was planing to move Fyfe to Whitecross until all the Shower hit the fan this week.
So trades were:
Out: Shaw
In: Clarke

Out: Mumford
Moved: Hale from forwards to Rucks
In: Whitecross

So still have Fyfe so in some ways happy to see him dumped so there was no cash lost. Will evaluate the rucks next week and probably trade out Fyfe, move Hale back to the Forwards and bring in a gun ruck!

I didn't want the zero and with so many out this week, was staring down that barrel!

I like those moves Molly.

Why not consider holding Fyfe if he plays next week?

Surely that's irrelevant if he comes back and plays out the year?

It is completely irrelevant, you're right. Although, if Fyfe comes back and within a few rounds (after his price has plummeted) he hurts his shoulder again, causing his price to drop even further then you will be limited in the number of options you can directly swap him to (unless you have $$ in the bank).

Surely that's irrelevant if he comes back and plays out the year?

Or do you think that his shoulder will affect his output/potential to play a full season?
Of course it's irrelevant in that scenario. Unfortunately we can't predict the future so it isn't that simple.
Is a trade worth avoiding the risk of, not only him re-injuring the shoulder and having another terrible score, but then being worth significantly less to which it will now cost more than a simple straight swap trade to dump him?
Then there is the other risk of trading now and that new player getting injured instead, causing a wasted trade.

The only reason I am considering holding on to him is the fact that the injury last year suited him in the end as he didn't go in as many contests afterwards, instead getting a lot of mark/kicks loose on the wing.

Team Director just got boned.

The 4 ruck rookie combo has been exposed this week. It was looking like a stroke of genius up until this point.

It was a stroke of something, probably not genius though!

Oh well... I guess I always had to grow up, get a job, a haircut and a real ruckman one day.

Fortunately the Fyfe injury gave me a flimsy excuse to do another double trade. OUT: Fyfe, Redden. IN: Clancee Pearce, Kreuzer.

Obviously I would have preferred to have traded Big O than Big Red, but I needed the $$.

I've now used six trades and am firmly on track to being done and dusted by mid-season. Go team!

RE: last week's trades- OUT: Broughton, Golby. IN: Goddard, Clarke. Well, yeah... we now know how that's gone down.

I was also starting to feel slightly vindicated about trading Tom Lynch out after Rd 1 now he's been dropped. But then I remembered that I just really stuffed up by picking him in the first place.

It was a stroke of something, probably not genius though!

Oh well... I guess I always had to grow up, get a job, a haircut and a real ruckman one day.

Fortunately the Fyfe injury gave me a flimsy excuse to do another double trade. OUT: Fyfe, Redden. IN: Clancee Pearce, Kreuzer.

Obviously I would have preferred to have traded Big O than Big Red, but I needed the $$.

I've now used six trades and am firmly on track to being done and dusted by mid-season. Go team!

RE: last week's trades- OUT: Broughton, Golby. IN: Goddard, Clarke. Well, yeah... we now know how that's gone down.

I was also starting to feel slightly vindicated about trading Tom Lynch out after Rd 1 now he's been dropped. But then I remembered that I just really stuffed up by picking him in the first place.

Really appreciate your honest insight, thanks....:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FAMOUS DT COACHES - Round 4 Report

R42012.png

TRADES:

FanFooty EDT (20)

Team Director (18)
Nathan Fyfe
Clancee Pearce

Jarrad Redden
Matthew Kreuzer

Impromptu SCE (18)
Shane Mumford
Patrick Ryder

Nathan Fyfe
Marc Murphy

Dylan’s FFC (21)
Shane Mumford
Hamish McIntosh

Nathan Fyfe
Brendan Whitecross

VinegarStrokes EDT (24)

AFLSpace.com Hacks (21)
Heath Shaw
Marty Clarke

Shane Mumford
Brendan Whitecross

Chook Raffle (21)
Nathan Fyfe
Mitch Robinson

vamsee (21)
Nathan Fyfe
Steele Sidebottom

The Baxters (20)
Jarred Redden
Aaron Sandilands

Nathan Fyfe
Adam Treloar

Warne Dawgs (22)
Jack Grimes
Brendan Goddard

Shane Mumford
Hamish McIntosh

Coaches
dylan123 - Dylan's FFC
LemmingMaster - VinegarStrokes EDT
m0nty - FanFooty EDT
mollyfud - AFLSpace.com Hacks
Director - Team Director
Impromptu - Impromptu SCE
SkankDanker - Chook Raffle
footylover18 - vamsee
thebaxters - The Baxters
Warnie - Warne Dawgs

Both coaches who opted for the 4 rookie ruck strategy have now abandoned it. Very unlucky to have Redden, Stephenson and Longer all dropped in the same round.
And those that went with two premium rucks (Mumford and Jacobs) continue to hit their head against the wall as they watch Giles score 100+ on the bench whilst the premiums continue to disappoint/not play....

Once again, the rucks are proving to be a great position to burn trades.

Most of the coaches seem to pretty aggressive with their trading so far. Not much concern for the byes?
We've got an extra 4 trades this season which allows us to easier fix out starting "mistakes" in which you'd do every season (or at least try to). I've got plenty of concerns for the byes weeks yet I don't really think anyone can plan that well for them and I think we're all going to struggle through them even more then most seem to think.

Looking at my round 4 side, I had 5 players that didn't play (Lake, Smith, Stephenson, Dickson and Smedts) along with me trading out a non playing Fyfe (+ Mumford although I had cover for him this week if I had of chose to use it). This is at the very start of the season, I can only imagine it being worse with rookies resting/dropped along with injuries as well as adding the bye factor into the equation. So come round 8 or so, I think I'll try to prepare my side a little more for the bye (I've currently got a 15/9/5 rd11/12/13 structure) in which I'll try to move out on a few round 11 players and upgrade to those who have the round 13 bye. But for the moment, I'm trying to pick the players I believe are the best rather then having to go for the non-preferred option to better suit the bye.

Something I was thinking about after the first two weeks when Magner was looking like a potential midfield keeper (Barlow like) is that by holding onto him I'd be locking in a zero come round 12 yet on the other hand, I could waste a trade to avoid 1 zero and move him out. Now that may not be the case so much anymore with his last two weeks but I think it will be quite interesting to see what people do if the likes of Zorko pop up and improve in price yet also look like being a keeper, will you choose to trade him to avoid a bye zero or hold tight and back him?

On a side note, it would be nice to have a trade actually gain me points soon for a change....:p

Most of the coaches seem to pretty aggressive with their trading so far. Not much concern for the byes?

I'll settle down soon. Maybe. After I trade GAJ :)

I liked Bax's trades this week. I'm considering how to best get Treloar into my side.

FWIW my SC team (which is based on my DT before I screwed it with my Tom Effing Lynch obsession) would have gone close to taking overall this week if I'd remembered to bench Lake :eek:. Ended up 31st with a zero. I did get a free bet for 2nd in the sportsbet comp though, so at least this season won't be a total bust. :D [/BRAG]

I will start to trade this week, so we may see this boring team wake up from its slumber, still annoyed that Giles is sitting on my bench while my two "premium" rucks stink up the joint.

Could be worse. You could have went with the three rookie ruck strategy and had your premium ruck miss 2 of the 4 weeks including last week when 2 of the 3 rookies missed as well!

Ever hate the decision you are going to make on trades but you make them anyway? That's how I feel about this weeks trade decisions!

Out: No one
In: No body!

(Note, baring late changes in the Blues v Freo game)

I strongly considered trading out both GAblett and NFyfe but am, against my original gut feeling, decided to sit tight and wait and see how the side performs.

Ever hate the decision you are going to make on trades but you make them anyway? That's how I feel about this weeks trade decisions!

Out: No one
In: No body!

(Note, baring late changes in the Blues v Freo game)

I strongly considered trading out both GAblett and NFyfe but am, against my original gut feeling, decided to sit tight and wait and see how the side performs.

40,000 coaches dumped Fyfe last week. He has just become a little more unique in the competition. Hopefully he can repay the faith Molly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Famous DT Coaches Thread 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back