News Farewell Scully, KMarshall, Narkle, FEvans, Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

solid turnover this year - and still leaves us with a wealth of list cloggers. Scully the only dissapointment / has a nice kick and some skill. With guys like that I would always go last chance saloon, tell them to put on 10 to 15kgs in the gym, and see how that goes

So Clurey could sit out of football next season and we'd still have to pay him despite him asking to be released from his contract?
Yes. 100%.

Depends on whether he negotiates a settlement. There's no reason to believe he has negotiated anything other than asking Port to delist him so he can move to another club. In that case he is still entitled to the amount he was contracted for.

So Clurey could sit out of football next season and we'd still have to pay him despite him asking to be released from his contract? That doesn't sound right.

If we have released him from his contract neither party is bound by any obligations under that now void contract. He doesn't have to train and play for us and we don't have to pay him.

Mick Voss and Alipate Carlile are examples of this happening.

Collected the 12 months’ cash and counted against the cap.

Yes. 100%.

Depends on whether he negotiates a settlement. There's no reason to believe he has negotiated anything other than asking Port to delist him so he can move to another club. In that case he is still entitled to the amount he was contracted for.
So when I retired my employer was required to keep paying me. Sounds legit.

I'm ok with quick delistings on young speculative talls if you keep rotating new ones in, I guess because we have no trust in the development of talls at Port it's hard to get a true read on them on though.

So when I retired my employer was required to keep paying me. Sounds legit.

You should check out the guaranteed money on offer in the States.

Bobby Bonilla is going to collect $1.2m annually from the New York Mets until 2035.

Mick Voss and Alipate Carlile are examples of this happening.

Collected the 12 months’ cash and counted against the cap.
So Brisbane have to pay Joe Daniher next season as he was released from his contract, due to retirement, with a year left to run. o_O

So Brisbane have to pay Joe Daniher next season as he was released from his contract, due to retirement, with a year left to run. o_O

Unless he chooses to walk away from it or doesn’t negotiate a lesser settlement.

Because he was a restricted free agent Brisbane will have to count the contract money against the cap too, or players could offer stupid deals to force moves that they could walk away the instant the player calls time, regardless.

In contrast, I know Tom Boyd negotiated a settlement that left most of his zillion dollar deal on the table, but it wasn’t a cap hit as he was traded to the Scray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure exactly how it works with retirement. If it is totally player enforced, there is likely an out as Tribey said.

Clurey hasn't retired though, he will play on. Thus his contract within the AFL system stands.

So Clurey could sit out of football next season and we'd still have to pay him despite him asking to be released from his contract? That doesn't sound right.

If we have released him from his contract neither party is bound by any obligations under that now void contract. He doesn't have to train and play for us and we don't have to pay him.
Yeah I think you are correct, as far as I know Tom asked to be released from his contract, so that wouldn't that be like breaking one, so I wouldn't think the club would have to pay him out.

If anyone 100% know's feel free to correct me.

It's mutually beneficial.

At the very least, it frees up a list spot for us to use on a player other than a 30-year-old (31 at the start of next season) KPD who's played one AFL game in the last two years. Clurey's probably not on huge money (for a 2025 AFL player) and the draftee who replaces him will be on even less.

If things go well for Clurey, and he's able to find his way onto another AFL list (DFA, SSP, MSD?), then we'll also be relieved of some or all of the burden of his salary.

Scully was told he just doesn't have that competitive mongrel and work ethic they want. They tried to get it out of him, but he didn't exhibit it and they don't believe he will make it based on that.

That's frustrating. I wondered if we were still considering offering him a rookie spot (but had stopped short of committing to selecting him in the rookie draft because we wanted to see who else was available), but it sounds like that won't happen.

I am not sure exactly how it works with retirement. If it is totally player enforced, there is likely an out as Tribey said.

Clurey hasn't retired though, he will play on. Thus his contract within the AFL system stands.
He may not play on although asking to be released from his contract suggests he has a commitment from another club to take him on. Either way I can't get my head around the club having to pay him for a contract he is not fulfilling.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Farewell Scully, KMarshall, Narkle, FEvans, Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back