News Farewell Scully, KMarshall, Narkle, FEvans, Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Scully was told he just doesn't have that competitive mongrel and work ethic they want. They tried to get it out of him, but he didn't exhibit it and they don't believe he will make it based on that. To be honest, looks like he'll just be the next Redden, Mitch Harvey type, that will probably go onto have a good SANFL career but just might not have been up to AFL.
I'm not saying that mongrel and work ethic isn't important but we always do this. We focus on guys with mongrel who can make tackles and apply pressure, and never focus on guys that can take marks and slot goals. Its why guys like Scully get de-listed while forwards like S Gray and McEntee end up 100 gamers for us. We never look at the whole package - its also a reason why so few talls develop for us.

How much mongrel did Luke Breust have? Very little but he's a 3x premiership player and 2x AA. He hurt teams by scoreboard pressure.

I'm not saying that mongrel and work ethic isn't important but we always do this. We focus on guys with mongrel who can make tackles and apply pressure, and never focus on guys that can take marks and slot goals. Its why guys like Scully get de-listed while forwards like S Gray and McEntee end up 100 gamers for us. We never look at the whole package - its also a reason why so few talls develop for us.

How much mongrel did Luke Breust have? Very little but he's a 3x premiership player and 2x AA. He hurt teams by scoreboard pressure.
"You don't defend, you don't play" was the third thing Hinkley said after "I'm the right man standing" and "You get what you deserve". Such an oracle.

"You don't defend, you don't play" was the third thing Hinkley said after "I'm the right man standing" and "You get what you deserve". Such an oracle.
Yep and to be clear Im not saying there is no truth to this.

Im just saying if you're a forward you need goal sense and either crumbing or marking presence. Being good defensively shouldnt give you a pass for lacking in these areas.

I'm happy to go with Scully not putting in the hard yards.

People have rightfully mentioned he's full of potential so they must've seen he doesn't have the fire in the belly for it.

You hear about a guy like Logan Evans who comes in on off days with the Iceberg as a MSD rookie. It's impressive.

Last edited:
Yep and to be clear Im not saying there is no truth to this.

Im just saying if you're a forward you need goal sense and either crumbing or marking presence. Being good defensively shouldnt give you a pass for lacking in these areas.
Absolutely. Scully is/was an exciting prospect. Can kick and mark. Rucking improved markedly this year. Watching him from the start to the almost dejected, lacking in confidence player v Centrals at Elizabeth last round is all on Hinkley and our "elite football program".

I mean acting like this was a choice between Boak and Scully when we literally recruited Rory Atkins is pretty ridiculous.
I know Atkins has been added to our list but I wouldn’t call him a recruit.
He was part of a total package.
Either way Boak should have definitely played his last AFL game against Sydney.
This club has become so soft over the years.
We dumped Russ Ebert as coach because he couldn’t win a flag within a couple of years and now we keep coaches and players that should have been outed years ago.
Pathetic.

Kicking goals are overrated at Alberton.

I’d say mongrel is more important for a guy that will be wrestling big key defenders than an agile goalsneak

Absolutely. Scully is/was an exciting prospect. Can kick and mark. Rucking improved markedly this year. Watching him from the start to the almost dejected, lacking in confidence player v Centrals at Elizabeth last round is all on Hinkley and our "elite football program".

Do we really need an elite football program to motivate an up & coming player ? I’m not saying it doesn’t help, but a player needs to want it bad and do above and beyond to get a list spot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think if you are the type of player that Scully is, which is more of a Dixon type “put it on my head and ill outmark the opposition” type, then i’d say mongrel - meaning absolute hatred of losing a contest and having self belief that you will absolutely mark the ball when its coming in - is a non negotiable. If you arent outmarking SANFL dedenders who were probably 10cm shorter than him, then he isnt going to make it wrestling the Andrews, Mckays, Weiterings, Barrass’s of the afl world who are bigger, stronger, fitter etc

End of the day he kicked 20 goals in 18 games and averaged under 3 marks a game. Took 9 contested marks in 18 games. Noted, he was playing in a shitheap, but he wasnt knocking down the door of selection and those stats are going to put you in danger.

Having said that, i would have still kept him for another year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we really need an elite football program to motivate an up & coming player ? I’m not saying it doesn’t help, but a player needs to want it bad and do above and beyond to get a list spot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Absolutely we really need an elite football program to motivate an up and coming player. It should encompass the training of physical and mental attributes. It's a ridiculous decision to delist Tom.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Farewell Scully, KMarshall, Narkle, FEvans, Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back