News Farewell Scully, KMarshall, Narkle, FEvans, Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

I think my main issue isn't getting rid of someone for not having mongrel.

Its the way we are willing to keep players with mongrel even if they are lacking in any other hurt factor in their game whatsoever.

In the end defence is a non-negotiable and I get that, but you will always have players who have different skillsets. The problem we have is we focus so much on mongrel and end up needing to work 10x harder every game because of it (as opposed to having players that can just efficiently lead out take marks slot goals) meaning we're blown up by finals year in year out.
We have mongrels that need putting down.

I remember many years ago Adam Kinglsey was told he would be delisted, he went away and worked his arse off to make sure he stayed on the list .. that year was 2003 (I think) and look what happend in 2004.

It appears Scully was told he had to work on intensity (most likely not just at the end of the year, no club at AFL level is that bad at communication), instead it seems from posts on here that he started looking for post footy options.

Last edited:

Did Port Adelaide make a mistake delisting teenage key forward Thomas Scully while retaining 36-year-old veteran Travis Boak? That was the question posed by Mark Bickley on SEN SA Breakfast on Tuesday morning.
The Power announced a slew of delistings on Monday, including Quinton Narkle and Francis Evans, who both featured in finals action in 2024. It came following the decision to re-sign Boak, who played 23 games this season.
Scully, a 19-year-old 203cm key forward did not debut for the Power, stuck behind the likes of Charlie Dixon, Todd Marshall, Mitch Georgiades, Jeremy Finlayson and Ollie Lord.
He was also stuck in a SANFL team that went 4-14 and finished with a percentage of 40, making it tough for a key forward to develop and perform.
Bickley feels Scully had some potential and was caught off guard by his culling. “I was a little bit surprised because he at different stages showed a little bit at SANFL level,” the two-time premiership skipper told SEN SA Breakfast.
“And that’s difficult when you’re a forward and there’s not a lot of ball coming in. “He’s 200cm and it takes a little bit longer for big guys to develop.”

I think Bickley answered his own question. With the Lukosius trade Tom would still be about seventh in the pecking order re key forwards.

Maybe Tom could be Rookie Listed if he isn't picked up? Ivan Soldo will probably be gone next year and Todd Marshall is 50/50 due to repeated concussions so there could be room for relisting on the main list in 2026 if Tom developed a bit of mongrel at SANFL level. At 203cm Tom Scully had a bit to offer and it is a pity he could not have beefed up and added some AFL ruck work potential to his game. He is listed at 91kg which isn't really beefy enough for a 203cm ruckman.

Last edited:
The issue with our depth is that Hinkley prefers to play middling veterans to genuine spuds to unaccountable older players at the expense at trying younger players.

There were 44 games handed out to McEntee, Narkle and Evans, two of which were delisted and Jed being saved by his contract.

Boak got 23 games and he played OK but it would've been nice to invest in a guy who could leapfrog his type of impact after a fair whack of games like Lorenz.

Obviously Dixon on one leg with 18 games. There wasn't a lot of options but I still would've played Lord with two legs and see what happens.

The unaccountable Burton with 15 games.

I agree to an extent but you have to have those younger players saying 'pick me' at SANFL level. Part of the malaise at Port atm is that those playing at SANFL level do not play with enough passion and the desire to step up to the big time. It may be something to do with the coaching. The one Coach we had at SANFL level who told it as it was got the Port Magpies to a Grand Final but he upset a few people along the way and was moved sideways.

Depth isn't simply a matter of talent it is also involves attitude.

I agree to an extent but you have to have those younger players saying 'pick me' at SANFL level. Part of the malaise at Port atm is that those playing at SANFL level do not play with enough passion and the desire to step up to the big time. It may be something to do with the coaching. The one Coach we had at SANFL level who told it as it was got the Port Magpies to a Grand Final but he upset a few people along the way and was moved sideways.

Depth isn't simply a matter of talent it is also involves attitude.
I agree with you in general but it seems the Magpies and the form of the players doesn't equate to being picked like it use to be.

Players can go back to the Magpies and play poorly and get selected the very next game. It may have been Jed where people were incredulous that he got back in the team not showing any form in the SANFL.

Logan Evans didn't look good at the Magpies some were saying he had played the worst game ever as a defender for the Maggies and then he gets picked. He did really well when he played for the Power but how many others are we leaving to rot for retires, delistees, the old sentimental Boak.

In the end, along with many poor aspects going down at the club, the resource that is the Magpies is being poorly used when it could be a really great breeding ground for our next big things. I guess it probably doesn't make enough money for Koch and the Board to care so we win our first Wooden Spoon and the development of our young talent is found wanting.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Farewell Scully, KMarshall, Narkle, FEvans, Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back