Father-son and Academy bidding

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Bidding takes place on Monday 6 October.

What players are likely to be selected and at what pick?

I can do a summary OP after a bit of discussion.

Off the top of my head:

Alec Waterman, West Coast - 2/3/4
Darcy Moore, Collingwood - 1st (small chance 2nd)
Billy Stretch, Melbourne - 3rd (maybe 2nd)
Zaine Cordy, Bulldogs -
Isaac Heeney, Sydney - 1st

F/S
Josh Clayton, Tyler Roos - Brisbane (2-5)
Darcy Moore - Collingwood (1)
Jake Long - Essendon (crap, but not allowed)
Harry Dear - Hawthorn (4)
Billy Stretch - Melbourne (3)
Alec Waterman - West Coast (3)
Zaine Cordy, Jayden Foster - Western Bulldogs (3-4)

Roos only one who wont happen I think. Waterman should at least be a two, but only a state combine invite means he's flown under the radar of most sides.

Academy (best chances):
Harris Andrews , Liam Dawson, Matthew Hammelmann - Brisbane (2-5)
Isaac Heeney, Abe Davis - Sydney (1, 4)
Jeremy Finlayson, Jack Steele - GWS (3,4)

Academy players can go in the Rookie too. I think the GWS lot are the best chance to be bid on and go to other clubs.

More listed here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-06/afl-names-academy-players

Ubergang, Coughlin, Griffiths, Foote, Hiscox I think would be the only other players to get picked up but low chance of being nominated.

Last edited:
F/S
Josh Clayton, Tyler Roos - Brisbane (2-5)
Darcy Moore - Collingwood (1)
Jake Long - Essendon (crap, but not allowed)
Billy Stretch - Melbourne (3)
Alec Waterman - West Coast (3)
Zaine Cordy, Jayden Foster - Western Bulldogs (3-4)

Roos only one who wont happen I think. Waterman should at least be a two, but only a state combine invite means he's flown under the radar of most sides.

Academy (best chances):
Harris Andrews , Liam Dawson, Matthew Hammelmann (2-5)
Isaac Heeney, Abe Davis - Sydney (1, 4)
Jeremy Finlayson, Jack Steele - GWS (3,4)

Academy players can go in the Rookie too. I think the GWS lot are the best chance to be bid on and go to other clubs.

More listed here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-06/afl-names-academy-players

Ubergang, Coughlin, Griffiths, Foote, Hiscox I think would be the only other players to get picked up but low chance of being nominated.

Thanks a lot, great summary.

Pretty hopeful Brisbane will get Hammelmann, Dawson, Andrews and Clayton in rounds 3-6.

Actually HawkintheTuarts, your wrong (re Jake Long)

We can nominate him, just not use our compensation pick (19) on any father son kids.

We've done a pretty bloody good job of hiding him away all year, even managed to sneak him in for a game with our VFL side in which he looked pretty good.

At the least he'll be rookie listed by us, can almost guarantee that (if he's not selected by us in the national draft of course).

We can nominate him, just not use our compensation pick (19) on any father son kids.

We've done a pretty bloody good job of hiding him away all year, even managed to sneak him in for a game with our VFL side in which he looked pretty good.

At the least he'll be rookie listed by us, can almost guarantee that (if he's not selected by us in the national draft of course).

He's right. According to the AFL you can't even nominate him.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-06/dons-play-the-long-game

ESSENDON will continue to monitor Jake Long through its father-son academy, even though it cannot nominate him as a draftee through the scheme this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would Beams leaving effect Moore’s Bidding?
It won't. Bidding done prior to draft and trade

It could do, if Collingwood and Brisbane come to some kind of agreement in the lead-up. If Collingwood decides to let Beams walk, you'd figure they'd get at least our pick 4. In that case they might be more likely to take Moore with their own first round pick, knowing they've got a second pick to get some other top talent they might have otherwise targeted.

It could do, if Collingwood and Brisbane come to some kind of agreement in the lead-up. If Collingwood decides to let Beams walk, you'd figure they'd get at least our pick 4. In that case they might be more likely to take Moore with their own first round pick, knowing they've got a second pick to get some other top talent they might have otherwise targeted.

But what Happens if we Pick 8 could be part of the Trade?

Though I highly doubt it would.

I think it would put Hine mind more at ease that we can get Moore at Pick 8 and get a Higher Pick in a Trade for Beams

I think it would put Hine mind more at ease that we can get Moore at Pick 8 and get a Higher Pick in a Trade for Beams

It can't. Bidding for f/s locks in picks to players before trade period.

If pick 8 is going to be part of a trade it can't be used on Moore during the bidding so Collingwood has to not match if anyone bids a pick before their first rounder. That would be academic anyway - I can't see what on earth Brisbane would be doing so that they're getting Beams + pick 8.

The good old 'hide him away in the VFL' ruse.
I'm sure no-one noticed him!

If pick 8 is going to be part of a trade it can't be used on Moore during the bidding so Collingwood has to not match if anyone bids a pick before their first rounder. That would be academic anyway - I can't see what on earth Brisbane would be doing so that they're getting Beams + pick 8.

I agree. I can’t see how Pick 8 would be part of the Trade.

That is why I think it almost makes it Certain we take Moore with pick 8 as it would be on Draft Night our 2nd Pick:thumbsu:

Seems like clubs only care about FS players if they get an absolute bargain. I like the FS concept but it is clearly BS in the real world of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back