Father-son and Academy bidding

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed in the bidding process with Harris Andrews (Brisbane Academy), North big it's round two selection which Brisbane matched with it's fourth round selection. What happened to either clubs third round picks? North would have bid their third round pick if that's all it took to get him, whilst Brisbane would have had to match it with their third round bid if North bid their second?
Brisbane used their third round pick to match Richmond's bid (Pick 31) on a fellow Brisbane academy player in Liam Dawson. As per academy bidding rules, they were only required to use their next available pick to match North's bid on Andrews which was their fourth round pick.

So? Why should a top club like Sydney have it's own zone? You haven't answered that question. So Jack plays NRL, by your reasoning that's one player, so what. The fundamental question is that it further opens up the gap of inequality of the competition. GWs & GCS I understand. Brisbane and Sydney is just a rort.

Trolling? I think you know why the academies were created - NB academies. NSW and QLD juniors are about 2 years behind those from other states. The academies are to improve standards at junior level. Maybe one day we will see sufficient quality in players from NSW and QLD that AFL clubs in those states won't need to recruit from interstate. This means there will be better players for all clubs. At that point I would suggest the NSW and QLD players will go in the draft and this bidding system will go.

"... Heeney reaffirmed his view he would most likely be playing rugby league if not for the opportunity presented to him by the academy.

Chris Smith, the operations manager of the Swans' Academy, has little interest in most of the criticism from elsewhere.

"A lot of the commentary, I don't give it too much consideration, because you start to realise they don't understand the circumstances," Smith said.

"It's a bit like me commenting on something that's happening in Adelaide or WA – I'm not totally up to speed.

"But a lot of the commentary gives no regard to the environment that we're in.

"I don't take it too seriously to be honest.

"We want our boys to be given opportunities across Australia because traditionally they haven't.

"And rightly so, they probably weren't up to scratch. But if we can get them up to scratch and other clubs want them, so be it."

see http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-06/academy-is-fair-swans

So? Why should a top club like Sydney have it's own zone? You haven't answered that question. So Jack plays NRL, by your reasoning that's one player, so what. The fundamental question is that it further opens up the gap of inequality of the competition. GWs & GCS I understand. Brisbane and Sydney is just a rort.

surely you're trolling? no one can be that stupid

Last edited:
Because I disagree with you?
Because you honestly think the academies would open a gap of inequality. Having to build a list from interstate players and having no local elite juniors, unlike the teams in states where footy is number 1. That's inequality.

Because you honestly think the academies would open a gap of inequality. Having to build a list from interstate players and having no local elite juniors, unlike the teams in states where footy is number 1. That's inequality.

Building a best 22 from states of origin further highlights this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back